Home

When does the exclusivitiy deal end?

This is a discussion on When does the exclusivitiy deal end? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #97
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: When does the exclusivitiy deal end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
It's not even that so much, its against the TOS to bring up 2k in the Madden forum and vice versa.
The only reason I would want them to give back the exclusivity is to clean out the Madden forums here...and it would. It seems the majority (not all) of trolling and flaming comes from fans of other series.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
THIS ^^^^^
Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #98
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

OVR: 13
My favorite point is that people think EA was behind the exclusivity deal...if the NFL decides they want only one licensed game and an NFL game is the breadwinner for a company, their options are limited...lose the breadwinner or pony up the money.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #99
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdm27
I get that from, everytime any Madden issue is being discussed, people bring up 2K features and act like if they were in Madden then it would be a perfect or much better game.

And yes, selling less copies does affect and somehow shows if a game has a higher preference ratio than other... So I do get to bring up 2K selling half as much as Madden 05 because it shows that game wasn't as good as you people claim it to be.

I don't have a problem with having multiple licenses, my post wasn't even related to that. If it happens, hey, more variety... That can only be good.

If you like 2K better, that's great, that's not my problem (and btw I wasn't referring to you in my post). Nobody can't deny that people come to this forum and approach things as if 2K had a game currently it would be much better than Madden, that was my point.

And btw, that last part in bold letters, coming to a forum to say "human beings can be so petty and childlish" is actually childlish son.

IF PEOPLE PREFER 2K5 FOOTBALL AND STILL PLAY IT....... MMM WHY DON'T U GO TO THE 2K FORUM?
This bold parts in your post made absolutely no sense to me but everything is not necessarily meant for me to understand, so that's cool.

Just so I hopefully understand the rest of your post though, you weren't responding directly to anything actually posted in this thread specifically about NFL2k or about the exclusive ending in your other post, you were just commenting on the general sentiment you believe some people have about NFL2k being perfect or better than Madden and wish they would keep that to sentiment to themselves or post about in the NFL2k forum. OK.

On topic, this is the closet we have ever come to the NFL exclusive ending and that is what is.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #100
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunLMason
My favorite point is that people think EA was behind the exclusivity deal...if the NFL decides they want only one licensed game and an NFL game is the breadwinner for a company, their options are limited...lose the breadwinner or pony up the money.
IMO, it's posts like this, not posters, that can potentially end up turning a respectful discussion about the exclusive license, into a game versus game debate.

Most of us only know what has been reported and are not privy to more. Those reports are evidence, not irrefutable proof, that EA played some role in the NFL exclusive license we have today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal

"Electronic Arts has signed the biggest sports free agent on the market. In a devastating blow to competitors--and in a deal sure to reshape sports gaming--the software giant signed an exclusive agreement with the National Football League and the NFL Players Inc., a subsidiary of the NFL Players Association.

The deal, one EA admits to having lobbied for over the past few years, is an exclusive five-year licensing deal granting EA the sole rights to the NFL's teams, stadiums, and players. However, the publisher and Players Inc. denied a similar deal was in the works in May 2004, even requesting publications that ran the story run public retractions."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/big-dea...eement-6114977

Also, to further put this claim to rest about EA being offered exclusives, instead of actively SEEKING them out;

Exclusivity Deals

NBA Rejects EA
Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #101
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
It's not even that so much, its against the TOS to bring up 2k in the Madden forum and vice versa.
The only reason I would want them to give back the exclusivity is to clean out the Madden forums here...and it would. It seems the majority (not all) of trolling and flaming comes from fans of other series.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
No. The majority (not all) of the posts come from FOOTBALL minded people who have seen and played better (7 years ago at that) than what Madden currently has to offer, and expect better. Most posters only bring up "the other game" to demonstrate to people that what we are asking for is not only possible, but has been done before. I just want a realistic NFL football game, I don't care who makes it. If you are happy with Madden, great. Doesn't mean everyone else has to be and can't voice that.

Either way, this thread looks like another dreaded 2K vs. Madden discussion, so I expect it to be locked soon.

Last edited by Illustrator76; 05-06-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #102
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdm27
I get that from, everytime any Madden issue is being discussed, people bring up 2K features and act like if they were in Madden then it would be a perfect or much better game.

And yes, selling less copies does affect and somehow shows if a game has a higher preference ratio than other... So I do get to bring up 2K selling half as much as Madden 05 because it shows that game wasn't as good as you people claim it to be.

I don't have a problem with having multiple licenses, my post wasn't even related to that. If it happens, hey, more variety... That can only be good.

If you like 2K better, that's great, that's not my problem (and btw I wasn't referring to you in my post). Nobody can't deny that people come to this forum and approach things as if 2K had a game currently it would be much better than Madden, that was my point.

And btw, that last part in bold letters, coming to a forum to say "human beings can be so petty and childlish" is actually childlish son.

IF PEOPLE PREFER 2K5 FOOTBALL AND STILL PLAY IT....... MMM WHY DON'T U GO TO THE 2K FORUM?
You didn't like 2k5?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #103
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
IMO, it's posts like this, not posters, that can potentially end up turning a respectful discussion about the exclusive license, into a game versus game debate.

Most of us only know what has been reported and are not privy to more. Those reports are evidence, not irrefutable proof, that EA played some role in the NFL exclusive license we have today.
In truth, everyone played some type of a role..

EA approached the NFL about an exclusive license and then after aquiring it locked up all meaningful football league licenses and ESPN for good measure.

The NFL's business model involves exclusives with most of their product line and are also overly agressive with unauthorized licensed uses like youtube videos and small time mom/pop shop t-shirt sales. It was probably only a matter of time before the NFL chose to do a more lucrative exclusive video game deal.

2k hurt themselves with that $20 pricetag that got EA to drop it's price to $29.99. Lowering the prices of all the games damaged the value of the NFL license and the NFL was not pleased with that decision.

Football fans even played a role, imo. In the years leading up to the deal signing fans became more attached to certain products and were less willing to try other games. Titles like NFL Fever and QB Club failed in an open market because of this. With fans rejecting several of the choices it made it an easier decision for the NFL to opt for a single developer contract. The only backlash was from 2k fans since other titles went under on their own and Madden fans continued to enjoy thir game.

Regarding the deal ending, I'll just say the same thing I said in another thread. I believe it will end because EA doesn't need it and the NFL won't find other takers. 2k is in dire straits, they can't outbid EA for an exclusive. They can't spend money developing a generic football game that will be lucky to sell a couple of hundred thousand copies and there is no point developing an NFL game when there isn't a possibilty to release it for another 2 years anyways. Not to mention that game would only be possible with an open license so it most definitely will have a Madden 14/15 (whichever) to compete against. 2k has about as the same odds as those fine soldiers at the Alamo did, imo.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #104
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

This is thread is going nowhere now. Locking it up.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »