Home

When does the exclusivitiy deal end?

This is a discussion on When does the exclusivitiy deal end? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: When does the exclusivitiy deal end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpac
You are correct in the sense that I have no solid date for when the contract ends. Yet the NFL calendar year usually begins right before the draft. Therefore the 2013 contract should end during the month of March. It would make little sense to have a contract end at the END of 2013 as any DLC for that game released on or after Jan 1 2014 with regards to the NFL would be "out of the license" date. That said, I remember a Gamespot article (i'll look it up) last year that stated Madden got "one more year" because of the lockout.
From everything I remember hearing, it was always 2014 being the earliest year we could have the possibility of a non-EA football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
From everything I remember hearing, it was always 2014 being the earliest year we could have the possibility of a non-EA football game.
Right as in NFL 2K14 not 2K15

Quote:
The report states that the NFL's deal with EA is the biggest non-TV contract the league currently has. The deal was extended back in 2008 and is said to be worth "well into" the nine-figure range. EA also pays the NFL Players Association between $30 and $40 million per year for the right to use players' likenesses.
With the cost of development rising and Next Gen systems coming soon.. I just don't see Madden going the "exclusive" rout again.

Last edited by Jetpac; 05-01-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #27
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
March 15, 2013 means, Madden wouldn't be licensed to create a Madden 14. Therefore as of now Madden 13 is the FINAL exclusive Madden. AS OF RIGHT NOW anyways.
That's true if March 2013 is correct but I don't believe it is.

The original five year deal was announced in December 2004 with the exclusive license set to expire at the end of the 2009-10 NFL season/Madden 10, the three year extension in February 2008 which changed the exclusive license expiration to the end of the 2012-13 NFL season/Madden 13 and the current one year extension in February 2011 which changed the exclusive license expiration to the end of the 2013-14 season/Madden 14.

First extension;

"Today, EA Sports announced that it has extended its contract with the NFL and NFL Players through the 2012 season. That means the Redwood City, California-based publisher will retain exclusive game rights to all NFL teams, stadiums, and player likenesses and information until the Super Bowl XLVII champion is crowned in 2013." http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-spor...season-6185880

Last years extension;

"The NFL has restructured its lucrative licensing and sponsorship contract with Electronic Arts to account for the sport’s uncertain future, significantly reducing the video game maker’s contractual obligations next season but adding a year to the deal, according to several well-placed sources. The contract now runs through 2013". http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...es/NFL-EA.aspx
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
That's true if March 2013 is correct but I don't believe it is.

The original five year deal was announced in December 2004 with the exclusive license set to expire at the end of the 2009-10 NFL season/Madden 10, the three year extension in February 2008 which changed the exclusive license expiration to the end of the 2012-13 NFL season/Madden 13 and the current one year extension in February 2011 which changed the exclusive license expiration to the end of the 2013-14 season/Madden 14.

First extension;

"Today, EA Sports announced that it has extended its contract with the NFL and NFL Players through the 2012 season. That means the Redwood City, California-based publisher will retain exclusive game rights to all NFL teams, stadiums, and player likenesses and information until the Super Bowl XLVII champion is crowned in 2013." http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-spor...season-6185880

Last years extension;

"The NFL has restructured its lucrative licensing and sponsorship contract with Electronic Arts to account for the sport’s uncertain future, significantly reducing the video game maker’s contractual obligations next season but adding a year to the deal, according to several well-placed sources. The contract now runs through 2013". http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...es/NFL-EA.aspx
Second link still doesn't say anything about the 2013 season. I mean if Madden 14 is the last one, cool but I still think its 13.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #29
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Second link still doesn't say anything about the 2013 season. I mean if Madden 14 is the last one, cool but I still think its 13.
Huh? I quoted that paragraph from the article. What exactly do you believe "The contract now runs through 2013" means, considering the other article about the first extension states "until the Super Bowl XLVII champion is crowned in 2013."?

That seems like to me the first extension was to end after the 2013 Super Bowl, so the one year extension should be until the 2014 Super Bowl.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #30
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Huh? I quoted that paragraph from the article. What exactly do you believe "The contract now runs through 2013" means, considering the other article about the first extension states "until the Super Bowl XLVII champion is crowned in 2013."?

That seems like to me the first extension was to end after the 2013 Super Bowl, so the one year extension should be until the 2014 Super Bowl.
That's exactly what I was saying. Through 2013 basically means until 2014.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #31
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
That's exactly what I was saying. Through 2013 basically means until 2014.
Better check your math again, lol.

Through 2013 and 2014 just don't add up. j/k, couldn't pass on that one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 4

I just noticed a couple people talking about SCEA and 2k getting back into the football market and mentioning how it may take a couple of years to get a decent competitor out of one or both, but I had a thought.

We hear about how EA sports games are consistently borrowing various things from each other, so what would stop 2k and SCEA from doing the same? Given that 2k has a next-gen football game to build off of, and that their football budget would likely increase if they were creating an NFL product, is it entirely out of the question that they alone, if not both them and SCEA could produce a football game that would be able to compete? I do think the framework is there to do it if they would be borrowing tech from their other sports franchises as well.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »