Home

When does the exclusivitiy deal end?

This is a discussion on When does the exclusivitiy deal end? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: When does the exclusivitiy deal end?

I jus hope it ends and 2K makes an NFL game because Madden bearly changes year after year and I'm over it, watching these trailers isn't really showing us much we haven't seen before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #66
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

When does your spelling of exclusivity end lol?

Sorry OP. Couldn't resist.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #67
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
So don't you think it would be smart if the license was paid for by various companies. EA knows it is a killer of a price, and to make that amount back is so tough.

The NFL should be reasonable to allow 3 companies to split the bill and make a NFL game. They will be getting their Money, and at the same time giving these companies a much better opportunity in making their money back and some.

I just don't know what that 3rd company would be , or dare to join the mix if the other 2 are 2K and EA. It would have to be a company that is extremely confident in their product.

What do you guys think about this?
Sounds like a great idea from a consumer viewpoint and endorsed by me. 2k is opting out of the baseball license, so, not sure what other companies have more than 150 million laying around before start-up cost.

2k said it wasn't cost effective to continue the MLB license.

Above all of that, the NFL would need to change it's business model. I really don't see that part happening.

Last edited by roadman; 05-04-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #68
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I just don't know what that 3rd company would be , or dare to join the mix if the other 2 are 2K and EA. It would have to be a company that is extremely confident in their product.

What do you guys think about this?
I think it's a good idea, but not sure the market would even support two NFL football games, let alone three given the price of games now. Back when there was a 2K5 and Madden 05, the prices together ($20 & $30 respectively) made it affordable to own both much more easily and both moved a lot of units. Now hard to say people would be willing to drop $120 (or $180 for 3) unless they were bringing fundamentally different experiences, like a Call of Duty versus Halo versus Battlefield. Initially sales would be up but think over the long haul people will pick one or the other if the quality is comparable.

NBA2K13's sales will likely take a hit when NBA Live 13 rejoins the market. There may not be a lot of incentive for a 2K or (whatever Sony's dev company is called) to jump back in to the NFL market at this point if terms are overly favorable towards the NFL. I do hope something changes, as we're close to having lost this generation entirely when it comes to football games. I know it's VERY wishful thinking, but I have been wondering if the lack of contact of the 2K sports devs teams has meant they're passively working on a football game with the hope that there won't be NFL or NCAA exclusivity. One can always dream...

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #69
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I think it's a good idea, but not sure the market would even support two NFL football games, let alone three given the price of games now. Back when there was a 2K5 and Madden 05, the prices together ($20 & $30 respectively) made it affordable to own both much more easily and both moved a lot of units. Now hard to say people would be willing to drop $120 (or $180 for 3) unless they were bringing fundamentally different experiences, like a Call of Duty versus Halo versus Battlefield. Initially sales would be up but think over the long haul people will pick one or the other if the quality is comparable.
While the bolded part is true, I don't think it's representative of the reality of last gen as 2004 (the year 2K5 and Madden 05 came out) was the exception in terms of pricing. All of the years leading up to that had both Madden and NFL 2K as full price titles, which at the time was 49.99.

I guess you could make the argument that the inability of the market to support 2 full price games is what caused 2K to offer its 2K5 lineup for $20 in the first place which then caused EA to drop Madden's price to $30. I just felt it important to point out that 2004 was the anomaly rather than the norm in those days.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #70
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
I guess you could make the argument that the inability of the market to support 2 full price games is what caused 2K to offer its 2K5 lineup for $20 in the first place which then caused EA to drop Madden's price to $30. I just felt it important to point out that 2004 was the anomaly rather than the norm in those days.
That's what I was saying, more or less. Madden was ridiculously dominant then; 2K had to go the $19.99 route in an ultra-aggressive attempt to get people to give their game a look. It's been a long time since we've had sports game genres with mulitiple developers that were all relatively successful; historically it seems the market hasn't supported it.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #71
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I think a lot of people are overlooking the law of supply and demand. This NFL exclusive and the Madden products produced from it have definitely created a niche for an anti-EA NFL football game alternative. Couple that with the success of the NBA2k series and the lore surrounding NFL2k5, a re-release of APF2k8, with official NFL branding, NFL2k5 franchise mode with online capability and some marketing, would likely sell fairly well.

I am no business mogul but common sense seems to suggest there has to be a market out there for people that want something different, not necessarily better than what they have been stuck with for the last 8, by then 9 years. Now with Facebook and all the other social media, a NFL2k-whatever would likely make huge sales on hype alone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #72
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Now with Facebook and all the other social media, a NFL2k-whatever would likely make huge sales on hype alone.
Enough to justify the resources it would take to create such a game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »