Home

Resurrect the Stiff Arm!

This is a discussion on Resurrect the Stiff Arm! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Resurrect the Stiff Arm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller7345
This is what we mean when we are talking about the correct angle. It doesn't have to be a toss.
That seemed less like a stiff arm than the "wrap up and push the guy off you" someone else mentioned.

I want more stiff arms like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMnqkWgbdsc

Where the defender doesn't even get much of any grasp and you can use it as leverage to get away. Like Westbrook said - do it before someone gets his hands on you.

And if the STR difference is high enough with the proper angle and timing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-8m1T3oYqM

Or stiff arms that manipulate defender momentum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxTQAqB8Q0Q

This is what I want.

Last edited by KBLover; 05-03-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibs7
the angle that im referring to for the stiff arm is very important. you shouldnt be able to stiff arm someone when you run head on to them.
Tell that to Willis McGahee (see the 3rd link). He pretty much was straight on vs Eugene.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Tell that to Willis McGahee (see the 3rd link). He pretty much was straight on vs Eugene.
its more about the issue that plagued it back on current gen. holding stiff arm and it triggering no matter the angle the HB had ont he defender

My latest Madden 13 & NCAA 13 strategy guides:
Official EA SPORTS Madden NFL 13 Strategy Guide
Official EA SPORTS NCAA Football 13 Strategy Guide

Learn more about Madden Tips:
www.MaddenTips.com

http://twitter.com/Sgibs7
Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 12

Like a lot of things in Madden/EA, the actions taken to solve an issue are often overreactions. Things that needed tweaking (stiff arm, juking, trucking, rocket catching, etc.) end up getting nuked to the point where the moves end up eliminated or barely effective. So what ends up happening is natural moves and movements go by the wayside. And we end up with upper body twisting and zig zag running. Properly contextualized planting, cutting, juking, spinning, and stiff arming would go a long way in making the game more realistic IMO.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
Like a lot of things in Madden/EA, the actions taken to solve an issue are often overreactions. Things that needed tweaking (stiff arm, juking, trucking, rocket catching, etc.) end up getting nuked to the point where the moves end up eliminated or barely effective. So what ends up happening is natural moves and movements go by the wayside. And we end up with upper body twisting and zig zag running. Properly contextualized planting, cutting, juking, spinning, and stiff arming would go a long way in making the game more realistic IMO.
i agree. i think a lot of things get blown out of proportion. really more so on the gameplay side of things.

a lot of the problems i hear people saying about the game - i just really dont see them being a issue that prohibits me form winning.

at the same time the game needs adjustments (think 155 - shouldnt exist) if someone does the 155 shake then you should make them pay - but it still needs to be removed.

www.MaddenTips.com

Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
its more about the issue that plagued it back on current gen. holding stiff arm and it triggering no matter the angle the HB had ont he defender
Then the success rate of the move needed to be change, not the removal of it all together.

I think stiff arm should be less about angle and about momentum, strength, and some timing (don't want to give it away and give the defender time to respond by changing his tackle but not too late to where you don't get your leverage and power behind the move to affect the defender).

The stiff arms I see in those videos come from a variety of angles and directions. Success is more about strength and momentum, accuracy (contacting the defender at a good point to affect his movement and power), and delivering the move at the right time for maximum impact.

Quote:
a lot of the problems i hear people saying about the game - i just really dont see them being a issue that prohibits me form winning.
A lot of issues aren't strictly about winning/losing. 3-4 is incorrect in this game, does it mean you can't win with a 3-4 team/playbook? Obviously not. Does it mean it works right? No.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Then the success rate of the move needed to be change, not the removal of it all together.

I think stiff arm should be less about angle and about momentum, strength, and some timing (don't want to give it away and give the defender time to respond by changing his tackle but not too late to where you don't get your leverage and power behind the move to affect the defender).

The stiff arms I see in those videos come from a variety of angles and directions. Success is more about strength and momentum, accuracy (contacting the defender at a good point to affect his movement and power), and delivering the move at the right time for maximum impact.

A lot of issues aren't strictly about winning/losing. 3-4 is incorrect in this game, does it mean you can't win with a 3-4 team/playbook? Obviously not. Does it mean it works right? No.
3-4 def needs to be addressed. and moving forward thats something that needs to be fixed.

your right about how the stiff arm and how you want it to work - its still very effective in this game - still can use it.

www.MaddenTips.com

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
the juke move on last game was probably one of the biggest issues madden has ever seen. you could freak out the entire defense with the juke move.

One of the better ways to run between the tackles this year is to grab hold the HB and user a quick cut to get into the next lane. find the open up and flick the stick towards it to get your back into position.

juke moves work soooooo well in 1v1 situations (gotta make sure you havea guy that is good with it).

you gotta try the manual swoop or as farls likes to call it hte Zwoop - its sooooooo good.

the angle that im referring to for the stiff arm is very important. you shouldnt be able to stiff arm someone when you run head on to them. its pretty good how it is now - you need to almost be running by them and then give thema quick stuff arm. or you need your runner to be angled away from the ball carrier like in the video.

what exactly do you want the stiff arm to look like?
KB nailed what I'am looking for in regards to the stiff arm, so no need for a repeat of information.

There are all types of ways and reasons why a stiff arm works in the NFL. Things like momentum, strength, body position, and a few others.

This Madden doesnt have it right at all, along with the other stuff like jukes , hurdling and spin moves.

Your right you can pull it off, but it is not accurate to how it works in real life.

Last gen wasnt perfect , but to me it did a better job with the special moves.

I strongly feel we can not get it because of the engine. The same reason why we can't get realsitic running animations.

Last edited by Tyrant8RDFL; 05-03-2012 at 01:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »