Home

Remove the OVR rating?

This is a discussion on Remove the OVR rating? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #41
Rookie

BathSaints's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Remove the OVR rating?

I HATE overall ratings.

Firstly because there is no difference between a 3-4 LB and OLB. If they can't even acknowledge that what is the point!!?

Still, amateur gamers who contribute 0.5s thought to the gaming process need those overalls, so they will remain. I mean EA is the master of introducing aspects for the casual gamer whilst neglecting those of us who give a damn beyond one 5min game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 25
As it is now every single player in madden is an EVERY down player... And that's just asinine.

Every look at the stats of other teams? Back ups usually get crap and teams with depth at say DL have very good OVR players who NEVER see the field unless injury....

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?torjbj
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #43
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Remove the OVR rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I like to think about subtle changes that sports video games could implement to make the games more challenging and realistic at the same time.

I had a thought yesterday and I feel like it's worth a little discussion.

What impact would it have on sports gaming if the OVR rating was removed from players?

All players would have the same attribute ratings for specific skills they currently do, however; no one would be given a rating for "overall". You would have to evaluate their talent based on the specific skills necessary for the position you want them to play.

I like this on the surface for a few reasons...

Having a number to use to manage a roster or set a depth chart is too simple/easy - it's a crutch. It takes very little thought or skill to put the 91 OVR player above the 87 OVR player. If we didn't have the OVR to look at, we would have to think long and hard about the skills of each individual player and how/when we should use each player based on our scheme and match-ups.

Also, football is a game of situations. Few players are always better in every single situation in comparison to teammates. If you want to get the feel for what it's like to be a real coach or GM; ignore the OVR and focus on the specific attributes necessary of the position in relevant situations and deploy the appropriate players when necessary.

The final point that stands out to me is the idea that "this is how it works in real life." On every staff there are mixed opinions over who the best players are at each position. Some coaches like leadership, others pocket presence, others speed. There is no magic OVR rating that a coach or GM can pull out. These guys have unique philosophies about what makes a guy good and they stand by that. We should experience that as well.

Imagine if it was taken a step farther and the coaches within the games took on those personalities and philosophies. Who would the Raiders start at WR? The guy with exceptional speed with no hands, or the guy who can catch but is hitched to a plow? There is no OVR rating to decide. Each team's specific philosophies would keep this dynamic.

Anyways...how would you feel about such a change?

You points are well made....but i like having the ovr. Sometimes (if controlling all 32 teams) when making depth charts it's easier to just look at the ovr and know that generally I'm putting a better player as a starter. For my own chise team i do look at all the ratings. I just wish ovr meant something. In last gen a 70 ovr RB played much different than a 90 ovr RB. In next gen I don't see much difference and the one rating that seems to matter the most is speed.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »