Home

Adaptive Potential Rating

This is a discussion on Adaptive Potential Rating within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL_6492
Ok guys now I hate the potential rating in this game as the next guy but they only added it a couple years ago, almost every sports game (if not every sports game) incorporates a potential rating, that said, it is here to stay. So I got to thinking of a way to improve a potential rating and make it worth while that way your 6th round sleeper wide receiver with the "D" potential but great speed, can develop into a caliber player in Madden and even become an "A" potential player, let me explain.

A player potential is another rating in this game right? So why doesn't it progress or regress just like most other ratings in the game. Here is an example:

You have a 2nd year running back at 24 years old. He is a 67 Overall and a D potential. He becomes your starter in week two due to injury and you end up rushing for 1,450 yards and 16 TD's with him. At the end of the season the game will progress him as a "D" potential, so he gets a moderate increas, probably up to around 71-72 overall. After that the game will now compare him to all running backs age 23-25 and start to compare him through a series of formulas including information like Yards, TD's, YPC, Fumbles, Etc to see where he stands. The game will now progress this players potential rating (never more than 2 ratings) probably from a "D" to a "B" potential. Now at 25 years old and a 72 overall he has potential to advance quicker and possibly become an "A" potential by age 26 depending on his performance during the season (the only thing that should really matter).

Some of you may ask why I progress the potential after all of his ratings have already progressed. The answer is simply to make it more realistic. This player has to now prove that this was not just a one year wonder and actually carry with consistency to peak out in the NFL and also those players that have gotten high but begin to lose carries to a 2nd running back start to slowly get worse. I have two examples of how this also works with higher potential players.

Another running back is a 23 year old rookie "A" potential drafted in the first round. He is a 78 overall and sat behind an 89 overall vet. He only manages to get 450 yards and 3 TD's on the season. After the season he progresses as an "A" potential and gets up to an 82 Overall. He is now compared to all 22-24 year old running backs and drops potential but only down to a "B" because the formula takes account for amount of caries and YPC can more important stats than just total yards and TD's. Now though, you have a 24 year old 82 overall running back with a year NFL experience and ready to take over as the teams leading rusher or at least share the workload 50-50 and has just as much a chance to become an "A" potential again at the end of the year and will still have to prove consistency after the year to cross into that tier of elite players.

Now that 89 overall starter was 31 years old but he was an "A" potential as well. He is now starting to regress in ratings and he only managed to get 1,200 yards and 8 TD's on the season, he will decline a little slower to preserve his worth, maybe only down to a 87 overall but he also ends up slipping to a "B" overall. Now his regression from his age is going to be much greater after this upcoming season because of his change in potential giving a very strong chance that he is finished in this city after this year and will be replaced by that now up and coming 82 overall "B" potential. It is probably in this players best interest to go somewhere he is a feature back now to remain at a higher overall rating for longer but the less exclusive he is, the faster he falls.

I am trying to make the game more realistic in this fashion. In the above scenario it shows the team drafting a future replacement and that player actually having to produce whenever he does get a chance to remain competitive. The NFL is dog eat dog and if you can't keep up, you get out.

Very young players age 20-24 or so, even in backup roles will have their potential mostly graded by the few plays they get during their younger seasons, especially your late round draft picks. Your 6th round rookie, 21 year old safety who only goes in on special teams and when your safety gets a break still gets a chance to progress based on how many plays he is actually in on and what statistics he produces. Many younger players like this get special teams roles, situational roles or just a few plays so the starter can get a breather. The more the player is in, the more stats he accumulates and the higher chance he has of progressing. I guess the formula should even account for how many plays you are on the field as well as injury.

I actually like the idea of this more than just getting rid of potential completely. This keeps less players on the top still but actually provides worth to low potential players and gives the opportunity to make them superstars.

Thank you for sticking through my long post, please let me know what you think.
Aaron rodgers would have fallen hard in green bay it that is how potential works. There would be no reason to sit a rookie since by not playing he will regress and possibly drop in potential. What you described is mostly how Madden rates players year to year.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Adaptive Potential Rating

The thought behind an evaluation of the potential rating is worthwhile, however; I think the bigger issue is initial ratings and player development from the baseline point.

The vast majority of guys come in with a particular skill-set in regard to the physical measurables. Guys don't necessarily get much faster, catch much better, etc. The big growth is in the intelligence and awareness as players mature. There are, of course, improvements that occur in the physical realm; but they are very limited in the real world.

Players should come in with ability but lack consistency. If you can build and retool the concept of potential around this, then I'm all for it.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Adaptive Potential Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I preface this post by stating upfront, I have become very cynical of what if anything EA/Tiburon will ever change about this, so I am trying to keep the bar low.

That said, at this point if they would just provide a way to hide potential and OVR, as well as having Potential randomly generated for draft classes, that would be an improvement, imo.
How about having randomly generated draft classes instead. I HATE this part of the game. I want new draft classes every year. I don't ever want to see the same class twice. I would play this game 2-3 times as much if that happened. So boring to know that I've seen every draft class available.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »