Home

Pre-Made draft classes vs Generated draft classes

This is a discussion on Pre-Made draft classes vs Generated draft classes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Pre-Made draft classes vs Generated draft classes

Agree with PGaither, handcrafted draft classes work best. My "only" suggestions to improve them would be:
- Stop with the 6'0 or smaller QB's
- Stop with the 6'0 and 5'11 MLB and OLB
- Stop with the 5'8 or 5'9 WR & CB
- Stop with the >340lb Dlinemen... This is very rare in the NFL
- Create the DE/OLB position so a 3-4 user can actually draft a pass rusher and not have to modify him to add cover skills
- And last but not not least (and this BOTHERS ME a lot) please please please make sure you tune them so that rokkies don't come from all these random FCS and low level FBS colleges. I don't wanna see a 1st round prospect from south caly po or from san jose st.

All this just seems like attention to detail issues, I would bet there are very few, if any, OLB under 6'1 in the last 3 nfl drafts......
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

I think there are great arguments for both sides.

Honestly, the past Madden generated draft classes had issues because the system for generating those classes had wonky limits. Seeing a guy with 65 acceleration and 99 speed, for example, or 330 lb linemen with less strength than a receiver.

But those aren't inherent issues to generating draft classes. Other games generate players with no glaring issues at all. And it also isn't impossible to create gems and busts. Yes, you get some randomization, but it's highly possible.

For me, the answer is this: the pre-made draft classes are a great short-term solution for franchise mode. If Tiburon feels that road is more efficient right now, then great. Perhaps they don't prioritize revamping a generated draft class system. And I agree with that. If it's quicker to just make pre-made draft classes, that's great. You don't have to involve programmers to create those draft classes, so it's not taking away development from other projects.

Perhaps in the long run, when Madden is at a point where the game is really sound and strong, they can revisit the draft class question.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

The other thing with hand crafted rookies is that they get to choose not only the potential but where and how that play progresses. What is this player's maximum power moves going to be?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

I guess I should clarify, I do want a generated class to work and have the players be comparable to current rosters. I ask the question under the premise of fixing that aspect. So to me the argument of using pre-made over generated because the players aren't made right is invalid. I don't see how it could be that hard to get a system that works right, ncaa doesn't do bad.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
The other thing with hand crafted rookies is that they get to choose not only the potential but where and how that play progresses. What is this player's maximum power moves going to be?
This is one of the biggest reasons I hate it. I don't want to use somebodies created players. If I wanted that I'd ask for create a player. There is nothing more unreal about football than everything being predetermined. That is why the draft is so big IRL, it's the unknown how everything will go and how a player will fit here or there.

It's also messed up how they grade each player's round. It has no logic behind it. Every player that is a 1st round prospect should look like a prospect. Half of them will probably fail IRL, but there is a reason that each of them is considered a 1st rounder. In madden, you can have someone they assign a 1st round grade that has no business being graded that way. A first rounder is going to have skills, measureables, or both otherwise they aren't going to be a 1st rounder.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguel
I suppose, but I don't pay attention to rounds/colleges so every draft is new to me . What if they randomized college names as well as player names?

Or what if they randomized the names/colleges/draft grade and ratings
Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock9958
How far into these franchises did you get? There's enough draft classes in the game that it's probably hard to come across the same set twice early in two franchises.
As I said, I like the building and maintaining a team aspect, so sometimes I'll have a franchise that I only sim. Obviously you can go through a lot that way. Just because you use the game differently doesn't mean others are wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »