Home

Pre-Made draft classes vs Generated draft classes

This is a discussion on Pre-Made draft classes vs Generated draft classes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Pre-Made draft classes vs Generated draft classes

I am almost entirely an offline franchise guy. The one thing that really makes me stop playing like I used to, is I hate the pre-made draft classes. The classes themselves aren't too bad, but it takes away what I really loved about madden before. I love to go from season to season running a team. I love to find exciting new players. With this, I get no excitement. Even before I have seen every draft class I know that there aren't any surprises, every player I get is the same as what every other madden player gets. I don't see the difficulty in getting this right. NCAA creates new recruiting classes doesn't it? Even the undrafted free agents in madden are created every year. Why not the draft classes? And before you say how bad most of the UDFAs are, that would just mean tuning it for the players to come out right. What do you guys think? Am I alone on this?

EDIT: For the purpose of the comparison I am assuming both systems are working properly. Generated players coming in comparably to current players.

Last edited by gjneff; 05-17-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Pre-Made draft classes vs Generated draft classes

I'm kinda with you. I liked how in Head Coach it gave Adam something to talk about but if the immersion isn't going to be that deep I think I would prefer generated
Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

gjneff:

I really don't have a beef with pre-made draft classes, especially now that the names are randomized. I really don't trust EA/Tiburon to be any good with generated classes. Before pre-made, they were pretty awful when it came to 3-4 defenses: no 34 DEs or OLBs of any note. Flash forward and now there's really a glut of those guys (well, OLBs any way. I usually just draft DTs because scouting for DL is such a PITA)
Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjneff
I am almost entirely an offline franchise guy. The one thing that really makes me stop playing like I used to, is I hate the pre-made draft classes. The classes themselves aren't too bad, but it takes away what I really loved about madden before. I love to go from season to season running a team. I love to find exciting new players. With this, I get no excitement. Even before I have seen every draft class I know that there aren't any surprises, every player I get is the same as what every other madden player gets. I don't see the difficulty in getting this right. NCAA creates new recruiting classes doesn't it? Even the undrafted free agents in madden are created every year. Why not the draft classes? And before you say how bad most of the UDFAs are, that would just mean tuning it for the players to come out right. What do you guys think? Am I alone on this?
Yeah i agree, It wouldn't be that hard to code in either (i can already picture what to do). I miss the days of randomly generated draft classes. What also bugs me is that those pre-made draft classes don't have their traits fixed (such as high motor, clutch, etc.). The only position out of the pre-made draft classes that actually are touched up is the QBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguel
gjneff:

I really don't have a beef with pre-made draft classes, especially now that the names are randomized. I really don't trust EA/Tiburon to be any good with generated classes. Before pre-made, they were pretty awful when it came to 3-4 defenses: no 34 DEs or OLBs of any note. Flash forward and now there's really a glut of those guys (well, OLBs any way. I usually just draft DTs because scouting for DL is such a PITA)
To me it's too obvious even with the randomly generated names. For example, I played 2 franchises and in both, I just had to find the corner in the 4th round who went to Minnesota and he would have an A potential. I'm a big offline franchise guy, so it gets boring once u recognize all the good players from the bad.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billylee0000
Yeah i agree, It wouldn't be that hard to code in either (i can already picture what to do). I miss the days of randomly generated draft classes. What also bugs me is that those pre-made draft classes don't have their traits fixed (such as high motor, clutch, etc.). The only position out of the pre-made draft classes that actually are touched up is the QBs.

To me it's too obvious even with the randomly generated names. For example, I played 2 franchises and in both, I just had to find the corner in the 4th round who went to Minnesota and he would have an A potential. I'm a big offline franchise guy, so it gets boring once u recognize all the good players from the bad.
I suppose, but I don't pay attention to rounds/colleges so every draft is new to me . What if they randomized college names as well as player names?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billylee0000
How far into these franchises did you get? There's enough draft classes in the game that it's probably hard to come across the same set twice early in two franchises.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Thread re-opened. Carry on.
Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Handcrafted draft classes are great. I agree that the college should be randomized too. You shouldn't be able to sort by potential... but even though you can, just don't do it. JUST DON'T. It's that easy.

Generated rookies were pretty terrible. Players would have off the wall abilities all over the place.

Hand crafted rookies make sense. I would like to see the Head Coach story lines return with the mad-lib insert of player names and their college.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »