Home

does using R1 to cover up ball really help?

This is a discussion on does using R1 to cover up ball really help? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Banned

siouxredskins's Arena

OVR: 4
does using R1 to cover up ball really help?

or, like rock -paper-scissors, if someone hits L1 to strip, will it really matter ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: does using R1 to cover up ball really help?

IMO, it does.

I think it's important, especially if you're facing Big Hitters or an opponent that does go for the strip a lot.

And by "Big Hitter", I don't necessarily mean hit stick moves (though it helps there too), but really any defender with "Big Hitter: Yes" or a really high POW rating.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

the answer is NO. i learned that today in an online match against the lion. i was trying to run out the clock with mccoy. i held down the the protection botton and the strip animation still occur and mccoy fumble the ball. the answer to ur question is NO NO NO.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Whatever difference the cover button makes is minuscule.

I've had countless times where I cover the ball before a strip animation starts, yet the play still results in a fumble.

Just be thankful Madden doesn't have coach settings like NCAA where you can tell your defense to go for the strip on every tackle. People abuse the strip ball setting like crazy in NCAA.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by siouxredskins
or, like rock -paper-scissors, if someone hits L1 to strip, will it really matter ?

It does, but I don't feel it is nearly as effective as it should be.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I don't know about NCAA 12, but when 10 came out it's "game plan" options were unbalanced until the first patch. After the first patch, in 10 and NCAA 11, the game plan was pretty well balanced.

Aggressive blocking led to a number of clipping calls. Go for the strip led to a lot of broken tackles, and very few fumbles if any. I normally chose conservative and almost never gave up a broken tackle. I'll tell you that I will take that trade off every time. I would often cal plays or set things up where I put a defender in good position to stuff the run in Madden and then the first tackle would be broken. IN NCAA 10 and 11 I rarely gave up a broken tackle and that led to a lot of stuffs and tackles for a loss making the other team one dimensional.

To the OP's question, I think it matter, but you have to press it in time before the tackle and I think you have to hold it throughout the tackle. Protecting the ball is far more important to me that a broken tackle. While Frank Gore hasn't had a fumbling problem in a few years, EA still gives him fumble-itis.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

This is really a shame, imo because I have believe if the button did work well it would really help the carry rating matter more. That way players with lower carry ratings would require the User to utilize the "cover up" button routinely to avoid fumbles.

I would also like to see this premise extended to intended receivers in regards to their catch rating and the User needing to routinely hold the "catch" button to make grabs with lower catch receivers or suffer an incomplete pass. Nothing cheesy like a low catch receiver catching passes easier but another control mechanic having to be routinely accounted for when User controlling lesser skilled receivers.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
MVP

AussieChiefsFan's Arena

OVR: 31

I only ever really do it if im running with the QB or maybe after an interception. I havent noticed it work any better than when I dont do it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »