Home

Madden needs to implement "tapping the button" to run faster/accelerate

This is a discussion on Madden needs to implement "tapping the button" to run faster/accelerate within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #33
Rookie

beecravey7's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Madden needs to implement "tapping the button" to run faster/accelerate

I am not a fan of it after playing NFL 2k5 and having Calvin Johnson chased down from behind by a defensive back with lower speed and acceleration. I don't know if it was because of the sprint button or not but I feel like I can tap the button pretty quickly. Only add it as an alternate control option for those that want to change things up. They could also have an option for breaking out of tackles that you could either set to auto or have it be button mashing. auto would take into account the players ratings and the most you could get from button mashing would also be based on player ratings. I like auto sprint, no beating controllers and the ratings mean more.

Last edited by beecravey7; 05-17-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #34
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDSFxX
Madden uses 'auto-sprint' by default. So you don't need to tap a button, or hold one down.

I actually prefer it that way, now a players acceleration matters MORE than it used to.
Aight, I am about to jump on the "sim" soapbox, so forgive me if I offend.

This quoted post is really spot on, imo, and is an example of why the Madden community, including OS, has to take some responsibility for the unrealistic state the game is in. Ian Romo Cummings try to oversee increased realism with auto sprint but the boards were a blaze with "I want to decide when to hit the second gear" as if auto sprint took that away.

This mechanic allows the User to determine how much effort the in-game player is giving to running by how far they move the left stick in a given direction. Having speed controls directly mapped to the same analog stick for moving the player around the field is very realistic, imo. It can also be utilized to prevent the arcadey speed burst that is given when switching to User control CPU players that should already be hustling. I think the beef is aside from some people just don't like change, is that it requires more nuanced "stick skill" than having a separate button.

For me a part of the fun in a sports simulation video game is about learning nuanced controller mechanics to attempt to execute in-game tasks, not going back to the control scheme of a joystick and one red button. /rant
Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Birdman
I just remember in 2K my guys getting chased down from behind by the linemen and it was extrememly fustrating because I didn't want to bash on the button.
I used to get chased down WHEN I was mashing the button. It's one of the few features I hated in 2K Football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #36
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

I would like it as an option....I know I would use it!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #37
Rookie

NikeBlitz's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Instead of tapping the button, cant the same be done with the R trigger button. The further down you press it the faster he will go. This can help you with your agility.

Let the R trigger go so your player can be more agile, or hold it halfway to sprint through the hole then let it go to make a quick cut, then hold it down again to out run the defense or run someone over. I say by making the R trigger pressure sensitive to the runners speed can work out nicely.

I can see where the Op makes sense. How you run determines what moves a runner can do, and by doing something will also put your running skills to the test.

THIS Just like racing games. deceleration/acceleration are a huge part of football, especially for RBs. I feel like i don't have control of this aspect in Madden.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #38
Beat the Heat!

chi_hawks's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Actually, no, they really aren't. If you think they are, then the entire discussion would just be over your head. No sense in going on about it.
Hilarious. So this person doesn't agree with you, so they must be, what, stupid, because it would "just go over their head"? Discourage differing viewpoints much?

http://www.operationsports.com/chi_hawks/blog/
Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #39
Beat the Heat!

chi_hawks's Arena

OVR: 14

I remember the A button on my xbox controller getting abused pretty bad with the 2K games when I had to button mash for running. Literally lost some of its "clickiness"(is that a word?) after a while and would almost get stuck down.

Not against it, but not for it.

http://www.operationsports.com/chi_hawks/blog/
Old 05-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks
Hilarious. So this person doesn't agree with you, so they must be, what, stupid, because it would "just go over their head"? Discourage differing viewpoints much?
Pared's point is that you're talking about a fundamental gameplay element. When you talk about input, they're the exact same. Pared is correct, it's not a subjective point of view. Fight for the Fumble, in which you button-mashed to "win," is exactly the same as tapping the button to go faster. You're button-mashing in order to obtain what you want.

For someone to say "I don't like Fight for the Fumble" for say they're for tapping a button for speed, is contradictory and confusing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »