Home

How important is it to you for players in madden to look like their real counterpart?

This is a discussion on How important is it to you for players in madden to look like their real counterpart? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How important is it to you?
Very important, I want every team perfect. 37 30.33%
I don't mind a couple minor players wrong here or there. 40 32.79%
Not a big deal to me as long as the big name players are right. 18 14.75%
I don't care as long as the gameplay is perfect!!! 27 22.13%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #41
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: How important is it to you for players in madden to look like their real counterp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
In all honesty - It drives me insane when people go crazy over facemasks, socks, faces, etc. etc. The reason being that the gameplay is such a disaster that if I had my way, every able person would be working on gameplay to fix the football and the player interaction.
Michael Young and KANE don't work on game play. They work on player models and such.

ChaseB doesn't work on game play. He works in the audio department.

Is that difficult to understand?

You should know better taz.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: How important is it to you for players in madden to look like their real counterp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Michael Young and KANE don't work on game play. They work on player models and such.

ChaseB doesn't work on game play. He works in the audio department.

Is that difficult to understand?

You should know better taz.
Yes yes, I completely understand that. When I said that, I was saying it to make a point. I understand it's not realistic. Let me also say, the art guys in Madden do an outstanding job. The game looks incredible. It's when it starts moving where it goes to hell, and I realize it's not their area.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 23

I don't mind that some of the Players don't "look" exactly like the Real Life players.

One thing that I think EA could do a better job with is making each player distinguishable thought.

Example - when i play nba 2k, I notice little nuances that each player does in real life that are incorporated into the game (nash licking his fingers, lebron biting his nails) things like that... Generally I've noticed in the NBA games that the players "move" like their real life counterparts better than they do in Madden.

Generally in Madden it seems like most of the players move the same way, most running backs run the same as most wide receivers and so on.

If they could separate the players, make a fast guy "feel" and "look" fast compared to a slow guy... Andre Johnson should not have the same running animation as Wes Welker...

Things like that would take the realism even further in Madden.

psn - CeeGee
Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
This right here. Madden is played from the EPSN skycam view 90% of the time. I don't care if player's facemasks/cleats/socks are wrong so long as they move and interact like their real lifecounterparts do from that view.
I agree 100% with your main point, but I also WISH the game was played from the Skycam angle....what we play from is much higher and further back than Skycam. I actually tried to use the "zoomed" camera for online play because it is so much closer to the LOS and the players, but there is no effective way to turn the camera to see the edges, so on defense I was at a huge disadvantage and on offense you have to make blind throws too often.

I also get annoyed by the annual discussions of minute details that are invisible during gameplay. I really would not care if they gave every player a Backbreaker style visor as long as the laundry list of missing features, broken gameplay mechanics, alternate gameplay modes (Owner Mode, etc.) were fixed already. Hell, they can give me 22 guys with "From Dust" block faces:

AS LONG AS THEY RUN SMOOTHLY, CUT REALISTICALLY AND HAVE THEIR BODY MOMENTUM AFFECT THE WAY THEY CAN ACCELERATE AND IMPACT OTHER PLAYERS!!!

Give me the Barbie wardrobe version in 2015 or 2016....until then, I'll take the From Dust version with better mechanics and football fundamentals...

(ASIDE - I come from the oldest of the old school videogamers...I started playing back on the TI99 and Atari Football....then Intellivision...and none of these games even had pads, helmets or a BALL! So if my presentation expectations are lower and jaded, its because I started playing games on systems that could not even render 22 PLAYERS, let alone their faces. My frustration remains that for all the quantum leaps in graphics over the last uh...20+ years ...the gameplay has stalled back around 2006-2007 and what we have been doing this entire generation is catch up to where we were years ago...so pardon me if a new facemask, endzone dance or expression of faith does nothing to move the needle for me...)

Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #45
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
Considering you seethe camera zoomed in on players on the sideline, running out to the huddle at the start of a game, instant replays, touchdown celebrations, you really think you don't see closeups of a player in Madden or on TV?

I've seen this forum in an uproar just over where Tebow does his celebration on the field, but from what some of you say, he needs to be doing his celebration in the correct area on the field but he could be black with dreads with a single bar facemask and I wouldn't care.

I really find this hard to believe.
This again!!! lol

People were not in an uproar as much about Tebowing not being accurately portrayed but due to the fact the an EA dev was using that inaccuracy to tout authenticity. If anything is labeled to be authentic, it should be required to actually meet that standard.

On topic, given that player accuracy is separate from game play, I believe reasonably accurate player detail for all real life players should be a given by now. Next-gen Madden is in its' 8th edition and even though I commend the art team or whoever works on these visuals for a good job, the focus seems skewed, imo.

Like others have said, give me a reasonably noticeable face since helmets are on most the time, accurate equipment for everybody and spend more time to visually diversifying the sidelines and crowd.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Kane just give a frame for what you guys can get correct. Everyone wants their starting 22 correct. I would take this as a common sense/popular view. Everyone wants the starting 22 on their team correct. Even if they do not say it, I think you gotta take it for granted that that is what people want. Then after that it's who will they see on the field with this team. You know they are gonna see the #3 WR, #2 TE, Nickel Back, Dime Back.

I'm not going to lie to you, I want my dudes looking like their real life counterparts. Guys that most likely are not going to see the field I don't care. Other guys, I want them looking right AND I want what everyone else wants to, namely correct movement ect. I don't think there should have to be either or here.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #47
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Yes yes, I completely understand that. When I said that, I was saying it to make a point. I understand it's not realistic. Let me also say, the art guys in Madden do an outstanding job. The game looks incredible. It's when it starts moving where it goes to hell, and I realize it's not their area.
I thought so, it just didn't read right to me.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #48
MVP

Pezell04x's Arena

OVR: 16

When it comes to football, the actual face doesn't bother me. 9 times out of 10, it's the equipment that needs to be perfect to reflect the player. You can give a guy like Calvin Johnson a generic face because he rocks a visor.

I feel that if the equipment is spot on (helmet, facemask, visor, etc) to what the player wears, most people are willing to let generic faces go.

In a sport where a helmet and full facemask is worn, I don't think faces are important. If you look at the NHL series, they players wear helmets but no facemasks and the faces are TERRIBLE. Here's a picture from NHL 12:

Again, I think most would rather have:

correct equipment > correct face

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »