Home

A basic but extremely overlooked and important command

This is a discussion on A basic but extremely overlooked and important command within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2003, 01:32 PM   #9
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: A basic but extremely overlooked and important command

BaldEaglePride:

I don't think he is talking about Bump and Run, which is Triangle, then Down on the PS2. Rather, it sounds like he is talking about the Man Shift command, where the DBs will automatically get close (but not bump and run close) to the receivers they are supposed to be covering. Normally, this does not affect the 1 and 2 corners, but it moves the safeties up so they can get closer to their assignments and/or shifts the linebacker(s) out to cover slot receiver(s). As a side note, the Man Shift command is automatically done for the user on NCAA Football 2004 in Man or Zone coverage.

Finally, Man Shift is done on Madden by pressing Triangle (for coverage audible) then Right on the D-Pad.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:02 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15

Will this move corners across the field cover guys too? I absolutely hate it when I'm on defense and I'll call nickel formation to counter a 3 wide set. But then I have two corners lined up on the left with just one reciever there. So the #1 and #2 corners get the right assignments. But the nickelback ends up covering a RB or TE while one of my linebackers covers the #3 WR. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 10-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #11
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Try playing man coverage; specifically, a play that has the Corners and Linebackers playing Man while the Safeties sit in deep zones. Then the game will automatically move the corners for you to put the nickelback on the slot receiver. In fact, I'm pretty sure that this works as long as your three corners all play Man coverage; I am not completely sure though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2003, 08:12 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

For the nickel problem just audible and flip the play and the corner will end up on the right side. I think on drawback of the man shift is it's hurts run defense sometimes by drawing the LB's outside leaving the middle open.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:38 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

Erv said:
If you press triangle(y xbox) and press right on the d-pad before your opponent snaps the ball, all of your db's will move to get the best possible match up position. I just figured this out today, and it does wonders to contain the pass.

It was the same as in last years game....Just hope your opponent isn't going for a different idea. I diid this 4 times in a row and on # 4 the AI figured it out and burned me (with a RB who sucked!) for a 25 yard TD! I loved it...and of course hated it!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:22 AM   #14
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:

Krioniq said:
BaldEaglePride:

I don't think he is talking about Bump and Run, which is Triangle, then Down on the PS2. Rather, it sounds like he is talking about the Man Shift command, where the DBs will automatically get close (but not bump and run close) to the receivers they are supposed to be covering. Normally, this does not affect the 1 and 2 corners, but it moves the safeties up so they can get closer to their assignments and/or shifts the linebacker(s) out to cover slot receiver(s). As a side note, the Man Shift command is automatically done for the user on NCAA Football 2004 in Man or Zone coverage.

Finally, Man Shift is done on Madden by pressing Triangle (for coverage audible) then Right on the D-Pad.

yes, this is what i was talkin about. I know what bump-and-run coverage is.

The only issue i have with the command this thread is about is that my safeties creep up too close to the middle of my defense and my corners get burned by receivers making deep routes or cutting across on a deep middle cross route.

It's a good setup if the offense is goin to the middle or receivers are slanting in.

Problem is the CPU rarely calls screens or in-routes.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:27 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

YankeePride_YP said:
Quote:

Krioniq said:
BaldEaglePride:

yes, this is what i was talkin about. I know what bump-and-run coverage is.

The only issue i have with the command this thread is about is that my safeties creep up too close to the middle of my defense and my corners get burned by receivers making deep routes or cutting across on a deep middle cross route.

It's a good setup if the offense is goin to the middle or receivers are slanting in.

Problem is the CPU rarely calls screens or in-routes.

Hey, NP YankeePride_YP. I didn't mean to suggest you didn't know what bump-and-run coverage was. I was just confused cuz you said your safeties creep up too far. I typically only see this when I use bump-and-run. When I shift them into position, the linebackers move alot, but the safeties rarely move all that far. Probably has something to do with the defensive schemes I use, but I don't know defense all that well.

I stand corrected ...

My defense was horrible until I found this command. I gave up almost 600 yards passing in an overtime loss to the Bengals (I'm so ashamed) cuz they kept throwing 3 receiver sets at me, and one of the receivers was always uncovered at the line of scrimmage. Quick pass after quick pass. First down after first down. I think I forced them to punt once! Luckily their defense is bad, otherwise that game would've just been ugly. I think they had 10 yards rushing. No reason to run the ball if I can't stop the pass, I guess.

I'm happy to say this command has improved my defense tremendously. I now only give up 200+ (sometimes 300) yards passing per game on average.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »