Home

How do back ups progress?

This is a discussion on How do back ups progress? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How do back ups progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Progression seems to be the next thing that is "broken" in CC. OS will explode if this doesn't work correctly, and it just seems to be headed that way.

In terms of User Player Progression I wholeheartedly disagree. If you are the player you are 100% responsible for your players improvement and if you are the coach you are 100% responsible for your teams improvement.

I do agree with you when it comes to the CPU controlled teams. If CPU Bill Belicheck comes out and gives a bunch of XP to aging vets and no-name UDFA's then there will be a problem. It's all in the AI, if AI works properly the game will progress nicely but if not then after a few seasons it will be a real problem.

As usual AI is the issue, it has been with CPU's drafting punters in the first round and signing a top QB when they have a "Qb of the Future" on the roster. If AI works properly all is well, if not then the boards light up.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hay99077
Players only getting better by performing in practice and/or in games? Yes that is terribly unrealistic...
It's unrealistic that you pick and choose who improves, and that you have to earn XP points to have anyone improve. Completely unrealistic. How does that happen in real life? Where am I scouting a players intelligence and WORK ETHIC. Where are my positional coaches that coach these players to improve? Where do we set up and simulate team and individual drills? Where is the factor that determines a players study habits for film study? What we get are XP points to dole out as we see fit. VERY ARCADE.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparas1432
You can only allocate what each player earns to that player, I'm pretty sure. So backups progress by having them practice.
That is incorrect. As I've said in previous posts on this thread all player XP is put into a big pool that you, as coach, have full control over. If Tom Brady earns 9000 XP and you want to give it all to Ryan Mallet you are free to do so.

You are the coach and you can progress whomever you want.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosarfan
In terms of User Player Progression I wholeheartedly disagree. If you are the player you are 100% responsible for your players improvement and if you are the coach you are 100% responsible for your teams improvement.
In real life, a coach isn't 100% responsible for a teams improvement. That's why this seems to arcade to me. Instead of using a real life model, they decide to use an arcady "XP" system. Seems a lot of people enjoy that, and that's perfectly OK. But it's unreal and I'd like it to be much more realistic. Options would be nice. Be nice to have progression be as arcady or realistic as you want.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
If you play as a player you will progress your player based on the XP that you earn in practice. If you get into games and reach the goals set for you you will earn more XP.

If you are the coach you are in charge of all the XP. As the previous poster stated you can give it all to one guy to the detriment of your team or you can spread it around.

Without seeing the game my initial plan is going to be to focus 50% of my XP on young, up-and-coming players (as the Browns: Joe Haden, Brandon Weedon, Jabbal Sheard, etc.), then using 30%-40% on younger (28yrs-31yrs) veterans (D. Jackson, Joe Thomas) and using the remaining on either projects I want to work on or older vets who I expect to contribute for 2-3 more seasons.

The nice thing is you can't go into a game/season and jack-up your stats, like throwing for 700yrds or getting 10 TD's, just to get more XP because EA sets the goals and once you have achieved that goal you can't earn more points. So if EA sets a goal of 300yrds passing in a game or 2,500yrds for a season you won't get more XP by throwing for 700 in a game of 7,000 in a season.

It all sounds good on paper but if life just went chalk then LA doesn't win the Stanley Cup and The Giants don't win the Super Bowl. How the CPU distributes the XP each team earns will be interesting to see as will EA's claim of better AI drafting and FA signing. Time will tell.
If it actually works, I plan to not give any XP to players over 30. The only exception being a QB that I may have to give some XP just to maintain his level until he gets around 33. Of course that is suggesting that regression will work too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
It's unrealistic that you pick and choose who improves, and that you have to earn XP points to have anyone improve. Completely unrealistic. How does that happen in real life? Where am I scouting a players intelligence and WORK ETHIC. Where are my positional coaches that coach these players to improve? Where do we set up and simulate team and individual drills? Where is the factor that determines a players study habits for film study? What we get are XP points to dole out as we see fit. VERY ARCADE.
First off I want to say I would love to have actual position coaches, real drills in practice and a "work ethic" rating. All of that is completely realistic and should be added as soon as possible be it Madden 14 or Next Gen.

I would also like to see film study in there to improve awareness and technique ratings. Have it like NCAA does with scouting, you get so many minutes of film study per week and how effective it is is based on a player rating and that position coaches rating.

As for doling out XP I also agree that what a guy earns should be what a guy gets. If Brady gets 9000 XP it should have to be used on Brady and not an OL. If you want your backups to get better then play them more and use the practice feature.

As for your "very arcade" comment I have to disagree. Go back and play Madden 94, that was arcade. NFL Blitz is "very arcade." Over the years Madden and NCAA have done a lot to become even more realistic even with the issues that they've had.

Would competition from 2K make things better, most likely but that's off the table for right now. These games will always be "arcade" on some level because they are just that, arcade games. But saying "very arcade" is an overstatement.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
In real life, a coach isn't 100% responsible for a teams improvement. That's why this seems to arcade to me. Instead of using a real life model, they decide to use an arcady "XP" system. Seems a lot of people enjoy that, and that's perfectly OK. But it's unreal and I'd like it to be much more realistic. Options would be nice. Be nice to have progression be as arcady or realistic as you want.
The problem with progression has always been twofold: When and how?

The when is somewhat solved as you can progress throughout the season like players do in real life. But being able to use XP on players that didn't earn it is unrealistic.

How has been a debate forever as people hate how sports games determine progression and have been clamoring for more control. You now have more control and if you want to keep track of how much XP each guy earns and only use XP earned you can do that. If you want to make Ryan Mallet a god off of Brady's arm then you can do that too. Each person can use the XP system to progress players how they see fit and how it makes it fun for them to play.

I'm going to try and spread it all around to young players mostly and get rid of aging vets.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
First off I want to say I would love to have actual position coaches, real drills in practice and a "work ethic" rating. All of that is completely realistic and should be added as soon as possible be it Madden 14 or Next Gen.

I would also like to see film study in there to improve awareness and technique ratings. Have it like NCAA does with scouting, you get so many minutes of film study per week and how effective it is is based on a player rating and that position coaches rating.

As for doling out XP I also agree that what a guy earns should be what a guy gets. If Brady gets 9000 XP it should have to be used on Brady and not an OL. If you want your backups to get better then play them more and use the practice feature.

As for your "very arcade" comment I have to disagree. Go back and play Madden 94, that was arcade. NFL Blitz is "very arcade." Over the years Madden and NCAA have done a lot to become even more realistic even with the issues that they've had.

Would competition from 2K make things better, most likely but that's off the table for right now. These games will always be "arcade" on some level because they are just that, arcade games. But saying "very arcade" is an overstatement.
I was saying arcade about the new progressions system. Seems we agree on most of this. I like your post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »