Home

Madden: Replicating Real Life

This is a discussion on Madden: Replicating Real Life within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #57
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden: Replicating Real Life

Can we get some offsetting penalties while we're at it?

It's frustrating to get called on holding, but not see the blantant facemask get called as well.

Or if I draw them offsides, but maybe my guys held.

Things like that.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #58
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Off-Field Action
•Suspensions, fines, off-field injuries, and legal issues - These need to play a part in the Franchise part of madden. It is a large part of the real NFL and should be replicated in game also. Take a look at Plaxico Burress and Michael Vick. These were big issues for their team. Losing a big asset to off field trouble. Suspensions, look at what the Saints are going through with losing Payton & Vilma. These kind of things impact teams. We can look at numerous players with fines and several game suspensions that harmed their team productivity
This will never happen. The Commish, aka Vito Corleone, would never allow the dark side of his league to be portrayed in a video game. Heck, tattoos aren't even allowed!

Last edited by Segagendude; 06-25-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Can we get some offsetting penalties while we're at it?

It's frustrating to get called on holding, but not see the blantant facemask get called as well.

Or if I draw them offsides, but maybe my guys held.

Things like that.
The game can't get one penalty to work, how would they ever have two occur at the same time
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #60
Pro

OVR: 6

I'd like to see realistic sim stats.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 25
Love everything I'm reading. Would be the best game ever if this stuff was included.

Madden is just SOOOO deficient in just about every area.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zxyalp
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 8

First off, I want to stress the importance of multiple animations for the same situations. Stuff like this keeps the game fresh. Snaps are huge. What I'm hoping EA can do to resolve this issue, is incorporate RTP to the football and also wind. Taking wind into account when you throw the ball should be a factor and it should also effect things like long snaps during shotgun, punts, and field goals. If RTP affect how the ball travels through the air, then it would save the dev team time on mocaping. I would assume they would just have to add more "qb catching the ball" and "punter catching the ball" animations.

I also think you left out 2 huge presentation elements. The first is;

Real Time Presentation - CGI cutscenes are last gen. Post play reactions, TD celebrations, Sideline reactions, Coach reactions, teammate interactions, players talking in the huddle, player subsitutions, etc. etc. should all be happening in real time. What I mean by this is that at any given moment, the gameplay camera can switch to certain areas of the field or sidelines at any given time, wether it be pre or post play, and we should see players and coaches reacting to what is happening on the field simultaneously.

Here is an example of how The Show does Real time presentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRopMAVdER4

Here is how Real time presentation looks in NBA 2k12. The intro video is composed of snippets of in game footage while players interact with each other before tip-off in real time (no cutscenes, just the camera switching angles).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGO3DrYrpaU
(for some reason I cannot embed the videos)

This leads into the second presentation element which is;

Active Sidelines - In order to have true real time presentation, the robotic player cutouts must be removed from the sideline. The full team and coaching staff should be fully animated, from the offense huddled around the offensive coordinator talking about the last drive to the head coach slamming his clip board on the ground in disgust from the current play. This does not only make the game feel more immersive, it would completely change the way cutscenes are done pre and post play. Cutscenes would no longer be repetitive as long as there are varied animations for everyone on the field/sideline.

Having the full team on the sidelines is not just a presentation element. It is a gameplay element as well. Having players and sub packages coming off and on the field in real time is a huge element that football games have lacked for decades. Getting the right personnel on the field is something teams work on all the time. Too many men on the field penalties are none existent because substitutions do not happen in real time. Delay of game penalties would be more realistic and game planning would be taken to a whole other level.
(Note: This is not to be confused with interactive sidelines. I think it would be great to see players running into the sideline and knock over players or coaches standing there, but I can see where this gets difficult on this gen hardware. However, real time physics could potentially make this possible)

To sum my entire post up, ANIMATIONS are key. Post play reactions, gameplay animations like fumbled snaps, coaches screaming on the sideline, or players reacting in the huddle, are all things the team must work to get in the game. Adding hundreds of animations must be tedious, but these are the things that make the game feel more alive. You can never have too many animations which is why I believe the infinity engine will be the key to madden's success in the coming years.

Last edited by johnnyg713; 06-25-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #63
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Excellent post Johnny. Completely agree with both of those!!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #64
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Love everything I'm reading. Would be the best game ever if this stuff was included.

Madden is just SOOOO deficient in just about every area.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zxyalp

It is a bit insane how huge that first post is with stuff of substance and it's all things we see every Sunday/Monday/Thursday/occasional Saturday, but also stuff that happens on "off days". The NFL never sleeps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »