Home

Rethinking Blitzing and Show Blitz in Madden NFL/NCAA Football

This is a discussion on Rethinking Blitzing and Show Blitz in Madden NFL/NCAA Football within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2013, 02:27 AM   #41
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Rethinking Blitzing and Show Blitz in Madden NFL/NCAA Football

Really this conversation needs to be continued
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #42
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

I am wondering if EA could put in "color coded" defensive assignments on the DL that give a visual cue as to 1-gap or 2-gap assignments. Say dark red for 1-gap, then light orange or yellow for 2-gap.

I am sure that "nanos" are the reason why, but I hate that when I shift my DL left or right - they are still headed to the same gap, or technique that the original play called for - If I wanted them to go to those spots I would not waste my time shifting them over!!!!!!!!

Perhaps with Clint O. in house they could recruit some very "talented" "nano creators" to come in and show him how they attack the blocking logic so that Clint can take that info and devise a way to "counter" the nanos that would be as "realistic as possible" and thus free up some defensive techniques that are missing (my guess because they allow for too many nanos)...
Old 05-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #43
Pro

Trick13's Arena

And it would be nice to see an expansion of "fake" snap counts, center/qb awr impacting protection calls - potentially "automated" on lower difficulty levels, High awareness QBs and Cs "pointing out" blitzers - adding into the chess match, deeper OL "adjustments" where the user can specify a double team on specific defender or adjust to a particular overused blitz setup and so on
Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #44
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

To the OP, regarding foot movement and the forward lean, that's just cosmetic work. It's important, but it should be put on the back burner. Fixing OL/DL interaction is more important than anything regarding blitzing/line play. But I do like the point of getting players closer to the line, especially in long yardage situations. Great stuff by the way. This is the kind of knowledge and thinking that is missing from sports games.

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule

What sayeth thee?
Yes, please.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderphantom
To the OP, regarding foot movement and the forward lean, that's just cosmetic work. It's important, but it should be put on the back burner. Fixing OL/DL interaction is more important than anything regarding blitzing/line play. But I do like the point of getting players closer to the line, especially in long yardage situations. Great stuff by the way. This is the kind of knowledge and thinking that is missing from sports games.
OL/DL interaction includes blitzing and line play considering one job of the OL is the stop penetration and open offensive gaps and DL is trying to do the opposite, so both fight against each other - interaction.

Blitzing and blitz pick up is helped/hurt by this. If the DL in a 3-4 can occupy blockers - who's going to pick up the blitz? Yet, that's an element of OL/DL interaction.

They are not separate things. "OL/DL interaction" includes all of these principles.

And lean/footwork should NOT be just cosmetic. The fact they are is a big part of the problem. Lean should replicate leverage - gaining it, losing it, fighting for it, fighting to keep it. Footwork should be about establishing/keeping a base, powering through a block, driving the defender/blocker, movement on and after the snap, etc.

All of these things should work into the "moves" and their effectiveness. Ratings should emulate the abilities of the players to gain/keep/regain balance, leverage and positioning. There shouldn't be anything cosmetic.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #47
Rookie

MaxxBoogieWS's Arena

OVR: 2

The closest I ever got to the pre-snap movement is with the 1-5-5 def formation. Certain blitzes have different ways the LB's and DL move without manually moving or shifting over but the problem with that is the 1-5-5 def is really bad against the run. I couldn't seem to use it right at all trying to play sim style.

Just to be clear, I'm not shake blitzing lol. Some blitzes really require everyone to move in the box. I like what you all are saying with the o-line and d-line enhancement, but the 1-5-5 is the closest to you guy's pre-snap movement suggestion in M13. Try it out for yourselves.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #48
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxBoogieWS

Just to be clear, I'm not shake blitzing lol. ...

I am hoping that we get to a point where "shake blitz" is a non issue - and for that matter we get back to a place where we can manually move players around and they will stay where we put them...

If EA can, by early reports from community day events, get OL players to "attack the proper threat" in the run game, then they should be able to do the same for the passing game - maybe not for M25, but it should be a focus next year if it has not been addressed for M25...

HC09 had a feature where you could "save" setups for plays, it was limited to "hot routes" or "defensive adjustments". I would love to see this expanded to include player movement...

...like when CBs show off coverage - then as the QB goes into his snap count the CBs creep up into press position, or LBs "threatening" gaps (showing blitz) then pack peddling out, or a blitzer showing outside pressure then shifting in to the a gap

Also I would love to see the "snap/fake snap" ball controls expanded - tapping the button RB for fake snap X/A for actual snap would be a quick "hut/go" style, holding it down would be more like "red 47, red 47, set, down, hut hut" - that way you have control over the snap sequence to off-set the above suggested "pre-snap player movement", quick snap to try to catch the defense out of position - longer snap counts or fake snaps to "preview" the defense and bring into play the audible/counter audible chess game aspect...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »