Home

challenges in madden 13

This is a discussion on challenges in madden 13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
Pro

juggalotusx's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: challenges in madden 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbowers7
Then go play 2K5 and let us enjoy our madden.
Its not a 2k5 thing is basic football man, and it should not take that long to fix. I mean ITs EA and if its in the game its in the game Right?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #18

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggalotusx
Its not a 2k5 thing is basic football man, and it should not take that long to fix. I mean ITs EA and if its in the game its in the game Right?
As was previously pointed out, when a play is reviewed in the NFL, it's an all encompassing review. The coach doesn't have to point out what they are challenging.

2k actually had that part wrong where EA has it right. The problem with Madden has nothing to do with what you are challenging but the fact that the entire review system is flawed, at times it just seems pre-determined.

Choosing what you are challenging specifically does nothing to solve the actual problem.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbowers7
Then go play 2K5 and let us enjoy our madden.
Just wanted to say thank you. After reading your comment towards another member I was inspired and went upstairs and played one of the best football video games I have in along, long time. Original Xbox and standard tube TV and all

So glad some of us can enjoy "our 2k5" and "our Madden" and not have to just choose one company.

Back on topic
I like to know what I am challenging. I have challenged a lot in Madden for something that wasn't even what I wanted them to look at. Unless EA nails the challenge system, I want to at least know what I am challenging. Don't want to be throwing away timeouts.

I think the reason we need to know what we are challenging, is we wouldn't know what the game can and can't catch. Until they can catch pretty much everything, I think we will have to have some kind of list, so we know what is available. If nothing else, I guess a list in the manual on what the cpu can catch automatically.

Last edited by wheelman990; 06-30-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #20

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Just wanted to say thank you. After reading your comment towards another member I was inspired and went upstairs and played one of the best football video games I have in along, long time. Original Xbox and standard tube TV and all

So glad some of us can enjoy "our 2k5" and "our Madden" and not have to just choose one company.

Back on topic
I like to know what I am challenging. I have challenged a lot in Madden for something that wasn't even what I wanted them to look at. Unless EA nails the challenge system, I want to at least know what I am challenging. Don't want to be throwing away timeouts.

I think the reason we need to know what we are challenging, is we wouldn't know what the game can and can't catch. Until they can catch pretty much everything, I think we will have to have some kind of list, so we know what is available. If nothing else, I guess a list in the manual on what the cpu can catch automatically.
I understand what you are saying but what faith do you have in the replay system even if you were allowed to specify what you are challenging?

I have challenged plays where I could only be challenging one thing that still get called wrong.

The solution to the problem has nothing to do with being able to decide what you are challenging.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6

The whole problem with the challenge system is that the CPU has to artificially make a mistake such as rule a completed catch or a knee wasn't down, so that we can challenge that mistake they made.

then the CPU controlled team needs to somehow decide realistically to challenge incorrect calls AND correct calls so that they don't abuse the system.....

it all seems really complicated to me, thank god im not a programmer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple28Pedestrian
The whole problem with the challenge system is that the CPU has to artificially make a mistake such as rule a completed catch or a knee wasn't down, so that we can challenge that mistake they made.

then the CPU controlled team needs to somehow decide realistically to challenge incorrect calls AND correct calls so that they don't abuse the system.....

it all seems really complicated to me, thank god im not a programmer.
That's a good point as well. The inner workings of the code know what the "correct" ruling on the field is, programmatically, based on the results generated on the play. My guess is that the problem more than anything is that the visual representation is not always accurately depicting what the code actually believes took place.

As such, I agree with the sentiment that the replay/challenge system just needs to be revamped and made more accurate overall.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
As was previously pointed out, when a play is reviewed in the NFL, it's an all encompassing review. The coach doesn't have to point out what they are challenging.

2k actually had that part wrong where EA has it right. The problem with Madden has nothing to do with what you are challenging but the fact that the entire review system is flawed, at times it just seems pre-determined.

Choosing what you are challenging specifically does nothing to solve the actual problem.
2k did that so the programming knew what you wanted to review.

Madden has a hard time figuring out WHAT to review. You challenge if it was a catch or a fumble and you see a clip of the recovering defender getting tackled... lose the challenge and watch the reply where you CLEARLY should have won when there was only one foot down for a split second and the ruling on the field is upheld as a fumble. IT sure looks and feels like the replay/programming was checking the spot of he ball, and not the catch.

Accelerated clock isn't "realistic" but it's a tool in a video game to help make the experience realistic.

Last edited by PGaither84; 07-01-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #24

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
2k did that so the programming knew what you wqanted to review.

Madden has a hard time figuring out WHAT to review. You challenge if it was a catch or a fumble and you see a clip of the recovering defender getting tackled... lose the challenge and watch the reply where you CLEARLY should have won when there was only one foot down for a split second and the ruling on the field is upheld as a fumble. IT sure looks and feels like the replay/programming was checking the spot of he ball, and not the catch.

Accelerated clock isn't "realistic" but it's a tool in a video game to help make the experience realistic.
I never claimed otherwise.

My point was that even if we tell the game what to challenge I still don't have the faith that it will get it correct which is why I pointed out the scenario I did in my post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »