Home

why is sim a curse word in this game??

This is a discussion on why is sim a curse word in this game?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: why is sim a curse word in this game??

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
I concur, there are plenty of places to find real sim football games online. Hell, you could join the OS online community and find real good football games. A lot of sim sites have their own community and you can find good sim games in there. I haven't played an unsim game of Madden online since September(when I gave up on finding a sim game in play now) and I play online a lot. You just have to know where to look.
So why can't we all form some kind of football coalition, to bring together gamers that want to play football, not video games? That's what I am trying to encourage to happen because all these different sects should be able to create a central Justice League or UN of sorts. lol. The UN is probably the better analogy because everyone can keep there preferred sects intact but let's all have a general meeting point somehow, likely using the online community feature.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 06-29-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

I think of "sim" as realistic locomotion, tackling and player movement, first and foremost. I feel that, for all of the emphasis on playing styles, that's where Madden needs to focus. I won't bring up the CD member's name, but one statement made me cringe. " the developers need to factor in the fast twitch of a shooter...." Wrong. If memory serves right, the same person brought up how the Fifa players felt like they had lead plates in the pants. One of my biggest non "SIM" elements that plague Madden is the goofy locomotion. Then there's the "patty cake." If Madden can ever be thought of as a "sim" title, they need to make the players move and interact in a realistic manner. And that's pretty much how it is in Fifa and NHL. No more quick zig-zags, no more warping... Then Madden can start to build a football sim...

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 06-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I think of "sim" as realistic locomotion, tackling and player movement, first and foremost. I feel that, for all of the emphasis on playing styles, that's where Madden needs to focus. I won't bring up the CD member's name, but one statement made me cringe. " the developers need to factor in the fast twitch of a shooter...." Wrong. If memory serves right, the same person brought up how the Fifa players felt like they had lead plates in the pants. One of my biggest non "SIM" elements that plague Madden is the goofy locomotion. Then there's the "patty cake." If Madden can ever be thought of as a "sim" title, they need to make the players move and interact in a realistic manner. And that's pretty much how it is in Fifa and NHL. No more quick zig-zags, no more warping... Then Madden can start to build a football sim...
We are going to have to get a process for nominating "Post Of The Week" on OS in each forum, so certain points can be highlighted like on SportsCenter. lol. This one here would definitely be a nominee.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
This post right here should be framed, put in neon lights and enlarged to take up the entire web site.

You are never going to be able to force someone into making decisions on their own free will in a sports game. That doesn't really bother me. However, you are gong to continue to encourage them to do some really unrealistic things due to the manner in which the game animates and represents the sport (or any sport for that matter).
Old 06-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
We are going to have to get a process for nominating "Post Of The Week" on OS in each forum, so certain points can be highlighted like on SportsCenter. lol. This one here would definitely be a nominee.
Didn't see this until AFTER I posted what I posted. LOL.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Taz and I were doing the PM thing, but I think this needs to be shared in a larger forum for discussion. So, I buy Madden 12 for 20 bucks to be relevant and not speaking from Madden 10. I actually am having fun with it, but here's the problem. Every day I play Fifa 12. Been playing it since 08, to the level that guys like CM Mosier and ShopMaster play Madden. About 3,500 games, total. Ever since I started playing, it's been on Pro Cam. This view closely mirrors Madden, except from more of a field level. So when I compare the two, it's pretty much apples to apples. To my point, Madden doesn't have anywhere near the control or fluidity of Fifa. Choppy animations, straight out unrealisitc player movement.

When I said that Madden really needs to focus movment and interaction, it wasn't said lightly. For all of the improvement that Infinity Engine brings, it's still the cart before the horse. Fifa got player movement down in '11, player impact engine in '12. Madden team really needs to study Fifa's player movement. When you hit the left stick left, the guy steps left, with weight. The game mechanics of Fifa could translate very nicely to Madden. RS for skill moves, shaped like Fifa's ball skills. The restrictions on turning while at speed, etc.

I know not everyone will feel me. But, if you have Fifa, go into Pro Cam and see what I'm talking about. It is what Madden has been missing. Proper movement is the difference between NBA Jam and NBA Live '10, a title which I thought was another great example of proper player movement and weight..... IMO, Madden is closer to the former, trying too hard to be "fun" and not keeping it real. Want a sim, make it move like one....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 06-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
Banned

StrawHat Patriot's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Madden is closer to the former, trying too hard to be "fun" and not keeping it real. Want a sim, make it move like one....
That reason alone, is one of the reasons why I worried if EA will ever make a competent football game.

Before anyone says it, yes, we have new development that's focused, blah blah blah blah blah...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
Pro

moneal2001's Arena

OVR: 8

@Brian i think madden going the opposite way fifa did with physics, meaning collision before movement, is that collision is more prominent in football. soccer is built on finesse and footwork. while football is built on strength and collision. both have areas where the opposite helps, like footwork being helpful for running backs or linemen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »