Home

Speed of the Ball

This is a discussion on Speed of the Ball within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Speed of the Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Manual passing, FIFA-style? That would be sick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHat Patriot
Would improved ball physics in general fix the problem?
I don't know if FIFA's passing system would translate into Madden and while improved ball physics definitely wouldn't hurt, I don't think that addresses the core issue.

I have posted the simplest breakdown for what I think would be a solid foundation for the passing game, using basketball video games as a reference. Considering Madden is a simulation video game I think it is paramount that ratings be a ceiling for how much User control can accomplish with a given player.

If the link doesn't go directly to the post, it is post #124 on page 13, currently the last post in the thread.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2043818297
Old 07-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Banned

billsmafia13's Arena

OVR: 0
I think they use ball speed to compensate for lack of momentum, psychic DBs, etc. because the way people react and cut, if the pall wasn't zipped on a corner or post route, it's too easy to intercept the ball. Even with bullet passes you'll see dumb things like the whole defensive secondary arriving at a deep pass.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I don't know if FIFA's passing system would translate into Madden and while improved ball physics definitely wouldn't hurt, I don't think that addresses the core issue.

I have posted the simplest breakdown for what I think would be a solid foundation for the passing game, using basketball video games as a reference. Considering Madden is a simulation video game I think it is paramount that ratings be a ceiling for how much User control can accomplish with a given player.

If the link doesn't go directly to the post, it is post #124 on page 13, currently the last post in the thread.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2043818297
I don't think we should shortchange manual passing so quickly. It would definitely not be the default passing mode though which is what you are talking about, I think, right?

I would love full manual passing with a slider to modify direction and power assist! I bet I wouldn't be alone in the sentiment either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
I don't think we should shortchange manual passing so quickly. It would definitely not be the default passing mode though which is what you are talking about, I think, right?

I would love full manual passing with a slider to modify direction and power assist! I bet I wouldn't be alone in the sentiment either.
I think when with "manual passing" you are referring to a mechanic that allows you to place the ball wherever, sort of similar to maximum passing in that other game or even "read & lead" passing in NFL Fever. While I did not like the visible cursor in Fever, I do understand the concept of allowing the User to attempt to place the pass wherever, regardless of the receiver or route. However, as long as Madden is utilizing the icon passing, I think the option between route based passing or throwing at the receiver, with the ball untethered, is the best way to go. This allows passer ratings to better differentiate players and allows the User to understand exactly where they are trying to place the pass, without having to provide a visual indicator on the field, like a passing cursor.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #13
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I think when with "manual passing" you are referring to a mechanic that allows you to place the ball wherever, sort of similar to maximum passing in that other game or even "read & lead" passing in NFL Fever. While I did not like the visible cursor in Fever, I do understand the concept of allowing the User to attempt to place the pass wherever, regardless of the receiver or route. However, as long as Madden is utilizing the icon passing, I think the option between route based passing or throwing at the receiver, with the ball untethered, is the best way to go. This allows passer ratings to better differentiate players and allows the User to understand exactly where they are trying to place the pass, without having to provide a visual indicator on the field, like a passing cursor.
I agree with button icon passing for a default setting. That is an easy concept for beginners to comprehend and it's tried and true.

I'm not sure exactly what your background is as far as having played FIFA with manual passing but that is all I am talking about. There is no cursor or directional indicator. It is a great option for ADVANCED users.

Along the lines of the conversation a few weeks ago where I mentioned that Madden hasn't matured with experienced gamers, it's pretty rare that I read something that excites me about Madden but the thought of FIFA-style manual passing just grabbed me instantly and I was stunned that I never thought of it before or even read anyone here mention it!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »