Home

What's "REAL"?

This is a discussion on What's "REAL"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
What's "REAL"?

In regards to to Real Time Physics and its effect in Madden NFL 13, a question that so many people have a hard time agreeing on is "Is it REALLY THE Issue"?
Even with the announcement and subsequent release of video showing "Real Time Physics", people still point out the most telling part: the animations. Without the correct corresponding animations, is "Real Time Physics" actually going to be a "monumental game changer"? Without seeing a ball carrier put his foot down and actually shift his body in the right way, is the image of a tackler bumping into someone en route to the ball carrier gonna sway the REAL hard-core football fan?
I was playing NBA 2K12 last night after a pretty long hiatus and I still get those "oooh ahhhh" moments. Those unexpected collisions in the air. The contact from a defending player going up for a block only to be knocked down by the strength/power of oncoming dunker. Those moments in sports video games are the most important ones to me. To my knowledge, 2K12 has no "Real Time Physics" to speak of. It's all about the animations. Such has been the case with 2K Sports NFL 2K series and the All Pro Football 2K8 game. Some may say there were too many animations causing a slight loss of control. Fair enough. It's a fairly comment complaint and has been addressed in various forms. However, the fact that you see your favourite players act in a way that mimics the real life counterparts is simply AWESOME. With as much movement and interaction as there is any sport, especially football, it absolutely has to be accounted for by a game that's the only of its kind. Defensive players actually reaching out to tackle, struggling from behind a block to get to the ballcarrier is a must. Ball carriers must run with a purpose..arms flailing, head bobbing.Quarterbacks that actually run scared is a must. Juggling to secure a catch is a must. It can't be summed up in repetitive cut scenes. The actual animations have to play out.
Another look at the 2K series and superb animations in both of its series goes to the amount of detail that has to be at the core and not just layered in after "introducing new technologies". Until the animations department is upgraded, Madden/NFL fans, and I'm one, will always have their doubts and more vocally their complaints. If any of you are old enough to play NFL Gameday on the PS1, you'll recall some memorable animations in that game as well. Remember using the sprint button too often with a RB/WR and the player get injured or cramps up in the middle of a run? Animations and Details are the key to the next GOOD Madden NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: What's "REAL"?

NBA 2k12 has plenty of issues also......I can go on all day about 2k12 ball warping through player's, no double teaming, speed issue where Kendrick Perkins would catch d rose in a fast break SMH, horrible foot planting (aka ice skating) etc, etc. No game will be exempt from issue's.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: What's "REAL"?

Another discussion thread on Real-Time Physics is not needed. Please continue your discussion in one of the following threads:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...nced-them.html

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-nfl-13-a.html

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ty-engine.html

Thanks
Closed

Last edited by RGmoney; 07-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »