Home

Changing a players position.

This is a discussion on Changing a players position. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #105
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Changing a players position.

They should do what MVP Baseball did and have Primary position and second position. Most guys second position would simply be 'None' but it would give some players that flexibility.

On top of that, you could make it so that the secondary positions had the option to be a bit more vague so that it left it open to even more flexibility. So if you have a Left Tackle that is capable of playing anywhere on the line, his second position would simply be OL. CB's and S's could have DB as there second positions and so on.

Last edited by DeuceDouglas; 07-25-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #106
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
They should do what MVP Baseball did and have Primary position and second position. Most guys second position would simply be 'None' but it would give some players that flexibility.
Do what MLB2K does for each player and have a rating for every position on the field. Allows for baseball utility players.

But I'd be thrilled with ONE secondary position.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #107
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Other EA games suffer from the same lack of player editing. I think the Madden franchise is heading in the right direction, but based on the features announced for Madden 13, they're still one or two years away from delivering what I'd consider a great football game.

However, instead of including full player editing (which I ultimately want in Madden), why not include a feature that allows you to train players in other positions in the offseason?

Say, you want to change the defensive scheme from 4-3 to 3-4 and convert DE Robert Mathis to a 3-4 OLB. Then you opt to coach/convert him to a 3-4 OLB in the beginning of the offseason and by the end of the offseason you get one of three messages:
  • You've successfully converted 4-3 DE Robert Mathis to a pass rushing 3-4 OLB. His new rating will be 86. Do you want to convert him? Yes/No
  • Converting 4-3 DE Robert Mathis to a pass rushing 3-4 OLB has been difficult and will take longer than the offseason. You can still convert him, but his new rating will be lower until he's fully converted. His rating in the beginning of the season will be 75. Do you want to convert him? Yes/No.
  • The attempt to convert 4-3 DE Robert Mathis to a pass rushing 3-4 OLB was unsuccessful. Do you want to put him on the trade block? Yes/No

Last edited by guaps; 07-25-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #108
Pro

OVR: 6

The only rating that really should be affected by a position change is awareness. I've seen the cpu play some players out of their normal position, but I think it's only been on the offensive line. If if fits best to have a player in an "alternate" position, the computer should just do that.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #109
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneal2001
but its been like that for every football video game. no one has made one where the AI changes a player's position.
True, but this year they introduce CC in which teams find players to fit their scheme. That's obviously not happening in this key instance. This only jumped to the top of my list lately, as I consider it an absolute necessity if they're going this direction. Huge oversight IMO.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #110
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
Other EA games suffer from the same lack of player editing. I think the Madden franchise is heading in the right direction, but based on the features announced for Madden 13, they're still one or two years away from delivering what I'd consider a great football game.

However, instead of including full player editing (which I ultimately want in Madden), why not include a feature that allows you to train players in other positions in the offseason?

Say, you want to change the defensive scheme from 4-3 to 3-4 and convert DE Robert Mathis to a 3-4 OLB. Then you opt to coach/convert him to a 3-4 OLB in the beginning of the offseason and by the end of the offseason you get one of three messages:
  • You've successfully converted 4-3 DE Robert Mathis to a pass rushing 3-4 OLB. His new rating will be 86. Do you want to convert him? Yes/No
  • Converting 4-3 DE Robert Mathis to a pass rushing 3-4 OLB has been difficult and will take longer than the offseason. You can still convert him, but his new rating will be lower until he's fully converted. His rating in the beginning of the season will be 75. Do you want to convert him? Yes/No.
  • The attempt to convert 4-3 DE Robert Mathis to a pass rushing 3-4 OLB was unsuccessful. Do you want to put him on the trade block? Yes/No
True Im all for more ways to make the in between the games more fun and dynamic.........I know there is a sizable group of guys who can sit and play the text sims in a trance like state for hours on end

However People shouldn't be forced into that......Having strong Editing/Customization lets people get the rosters set to the level of the user's liking faster and frees up their time to play more on the field

Having that to fall back on and giving your users more flexibility is always a plus.....Then hopefully your new modes/features get good enough so that people want to jump into those as well

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #111
Rookie

OVR: 0

Can i put Aaron Hernadez at running back for the Pats?

This lack of editing is really a total bone-headed move - so many issues spin off from that

If its in the game - its not in Madden 13

Last year they sold Madden 12 as wanting to give us total control of how we run our Franchise. They obviously thought that was too much control so now we have none

total joke
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »