Home

Speed is...well...speed!

This is a discussion on Speed is...well...speed! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Speed is...well...speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
40 time is part of the equation for speed... Not the whole enchilada. They have said that countless times.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Well done! You nailed the entire point of the OP. They are using OTHER factors to determine speed!? What other factors? I can see a player having superior agility and/or acceleration or a combination of other technical skills (RTE, REL, etc...), but to use OTHER FACTORS for something that is already measurable is illogical at best. Speed is SPEED! Speed is NOT agility. Speed is NOT route running. Speed is not a finesse move. Why on earth are they using other factors when they can rely on hard data. Are you seriously going to tell me that Jerry Rice is faster because he ran a better route than what the DB could react to!? Of course not! He just APPEARS to be faster because he increased his separation via the combination of his determined SPD, ACC in and out of the break, his AGI while cutting at full SPD (whether that's 83 or 99, it makes no difference), and his ability to run a crisp route. Those are NOT speed factors!

Why does Donny raise the SPD of a player when they perform well? Why not just raise the other attributes? I think that he far too often confuses speed for other traits.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Banned

D_Fos's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I guess we need to push for a universal ratings editor and a share feature. That way we can download FBG ratings before starting a CC and scale back rookie ratings after the draft to the desired range. At least with the manual progression system, there would no longer be an issue with skewing up manual ratings adjustments.
This is a great idea and much needed imo! Lets hope our voice can be heard.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
MVP

Champion8877's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
40 time is part of the equation for speed... Not the whole enchilada. They have said that countless times.

But speed should be mostly based on 40 time. Speed should be the players ability to get from point A to point B running in a straight line. Then agility, acceleration, and other attributes should determine how that speed changes and how the player reacts when they are making cuts, turning corners, and not running in a straight line. That is my opinion at least.

P.S. CRMosier, on a completely unrelated note, I notice your location says you live in Mansfield, I'm about 20 minutes from there(Ashland) lol.

Last edited by Champion8877; 07-13-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #12
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

What are the other parts of the equation that they use?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
What are the other parts of the equation that they use?
That's the other issue. EA refuses to tell us exactly how players are rated. There is little to no transparency.
NFL Scout

Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #14
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion8877
But speed should be mostly based on 40 time. Speed should be the players ability to get from point A to point B running in a straight line. Then agility, acceleration, and other attributes should determine how that speed changes and how the player reacts when they are making cuts, turning corners, and not running in a straight line. That is my opinion at least.

P.S. CRMosier, on a completely unrelated note, I notice your location says you live in Mansfield, I'm about 20 minutes from there(Ashland) lol.
I always looked at speed more so how fast a guy was at top speed. That being said, I don't really like the idea of speed ratings being directly correlated to certain 40 times.

I'd look at a 40 as more of an A-B then B-C type thing. A-B being the first 10 yards or so and basically being used to determine acceleration. B-C being the last 20-30 yards. I think the B-C time would be more indicative of a true speed rating because it doesn't take what should be more linked to the acceleration attribute into account.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #15
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I always looked at speed more so how fast a guy was at top speed. That being said, I don't really like the idea of speed ratings being directly correlated to certain 40 times.

I'd look at a 40 as more of an A-B then B-C type thing. A-B being the first 10 yards or so and basically being used to determine acceleration. B-C being the last 20-30 yards. I think the B-C time would be more indicative of a true speed rating because it doesn't take what should be more linked to the acceleration attribute into account.
That would make sense if Madden didn't have ACC and SPD working symbiotically. In other words, the SPD and ACC ratings have effect upon one another. A player with a 99 ACC and 0 SPD will get up to full speed SLOWER than a player with 99 ACC and 99 SPD. Otherwise I would have use the first 10 yards as the ACC split and the remainder as the SPD rating.
NFL Scout

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas

That's how FBPro 98 did it. AC = How fast you get to full speed. SP = What full speed is.

Who knows how Madden does it - I can't see any impact from ACC at all, let alone the fact there's hardly any differences after a while (seems like just about everyone and their brother has 99 ACC in my franchise)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »