Home

Too bad Madden won't do speed life Fifa 12

This is a discussion on Too bad Madden won't do speed life Fifa 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Rookie

eds133's Arena

OVR: 2
Too bad Madden won't do speed life Fifa 12

I feel like in Madden everyone with high speed has a high acceleration rating. I don't know why they keep doing this.. just because someone is fast does not mean they get to their top speed quickly or can break out of cuts well..

I feel like if a WR is a great route runner his acceleration and Agility should by higher even if his speed isn't that great...

I looked through fifa and there are a lot of guys with great speed ratings but then their agility and acceleration are in the 60-75 range...

Anyone else think that Madden should take a page out of their book with this one or why haven't they yet?

None the less I am pumped as hell for M13.. can't remember the last time i was this excited for a madden game to come out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Too bad Madden won't do speed life Fifa 12

I kinda understand what you're saying, but the there is a vast difference in the type of athlete that can be successful at soccer compared to football.

In soccer, players can go on long, uninhibited runs, where speed definitely can be mutually exclusive from acceleration.

In football, the straight line distance is much shorter, so speed and agility go more hand in hand. If madden really uses 40 times to aid in determining speed as has been speculated (my exercise science background tells me that the 40 is not a measurement of speed, but whatever), then its really impossible to have a high speed rating without a high acceleration, as so much of the 40 is dependant on acceleration.

Having said that, there certainly can and should be many players who possess an extreme amount of explosivity whose acceleration may be much greater than their overall speed.

In reality, agility, the ability to change directions, is a much greater indicator of how successful a player may be, and I definitely agree that it should be more important in-game.

I really feel that too much emphasis is put on these different "skill-sets," both in the video game and the real world, but that is a much longer and probably boring discussion.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

I understand that the original post is talking about ratings, but I'm not a fan of how Fifa's speed ratings work in game. Too often someone like Christiano Ronaldo with a speed rating in the 90s, gets caught from behind by someone like Carlos Puyol.

The speed threshold in Fifa is horrendous. I think Madden does a better job distinguishing fast players from slow players.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

They said they did this in Madden 11 I think, or maybe it was NCAA 11. They've definitely said it before in one of their videos, guess it didn't translate well in game.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Try altering the speed threshold. You'll see different results.

Also, comparing a game like soccer, which is fluid and constantly in motion, to a start-stop-start-stop game like football is tough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Rookie

eds133's Arena

I guess what i really meant was i feel like sometimes madden ratings are afraid to hurt peoples feelings by giving some players lower ratings. I feel like every guy with a high speed rating in madden always has a high ACC and high Agility rating along with it. Where in fifa you see low ACC and agility ratings.. just wish there was some more variety with some of the ratings in madden is all.

But i will definitely try that speed threshold when the game comes out!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Which fast NFL players would you say have slow acceleration? I can think of a lot of guys with slow speed but high accel in real life but not many the other way.

For what it is worth. VJax was 90 speed and like 82 accel last year. He may not qualify for for though.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Rookie

eds133's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmj824
Which fast NFL players would you say have slow acceleration? I can think of a lot of guys with slow speed but high accel in real life but not many the other way.

For what it is worth. VJax was 90 speed and like 82 accel last year. He may not qualify for for though.
I guess i mean mainly agility.. there a lot of WR's who have great speed but can't run routes well.. i think the ones who are great route runners should have a higher agility rating even if they don't have a great speed rating. Like wes welker... great at the cuts and route running.. but his top end speed isn't as high.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »