Home

D-Line play in Madden

This is a discussion on D-Line play in Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2003, 08:27 PM   #1
Rookie

Jeremy_Stein's Arena

OVR: 12
D-Line play in Madden

Been curious about this:
Has anyone found that the D-line is particularly sluggish in Madden? Not moreso than in previous years, but moreso than NCAA 2004? Or at the very least, DL players seem slow enough that speed rushers are practically useless in Madden?

It was this way last year with both EA football games, but seems much improved in NCAA 2004. Power rushers still aren't great at the point of attack, but quick players are at least *capable* of getting upfield in NCAA.

So what do people think of the D-line play in Madden 2004, and are players too slow out of a 3 point stance?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2003, 03:10 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: D-Line play in Madden

try spreading the d-line on for sure pass plays. if you have a good LE he will get around the tackle. he has to be in the 90s though. I just traded my high priced LE for a top draft choice. the new guy is a 85 but the veteran was 95. The rookie just can't get it done. if you spend the cash to get a good left end you will sacks.

p.s. the RE is not needed in Madden 2004.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:21 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Its crazy because jason taylor and Simeon Rice are the leagues best speed rushers and both play RE. Heck, Simeon leads the league in sacks right now, but neither can get squat done on Madden. The same holds true for the RE in NCAA, VT has a great RE (Nathan Adibi) but he's hampered also. EA needs to fix this on next year version, especially when LT is the hardest position to play on the OL, yet every LT can hold Rice or Taylor to zero sacks?
Old 10-17-2003, 04:26 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

Hey! Something that helps:

If you KNOW it's a pass or want to risk biting on the pass, press playmaker joystick up RIGHT as the ball is snapped to committ to the pass. Not only does this limit the number of completions by the CPU, but it makes the DL more aggressive for some reason. I think it makes the DL go from containment to going for the sack. So try holding up on the playmaker control as the ball is snapped to committ to the pass if you either KNOW it's a pass or want to risk committing to the pass.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:46 PM   #5
MVP

kweiss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

CeriousBuc said:
Its crazy because jason taylor and Simeon Rice are the leagues best speed rushers and both play RE. Heck, Simeon leads the league in sacks right now, but neither can get squat done on Madden. The same holds true for the RE in NCAA, VT has a great RE (Nathan Adibi) but he's hampered also. EA needs to fix this on next year version, especially when LT is the hardest position to play on the OL, yet every LT can hold Rice or Taylor to zero sacks?

If you've got a really good RE, but you can't do anything with him because the RE is kind of useless in this game, just switch him over to LE. Their ratings won't go down at all, and they will play much better. That's what I ended up doing with Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, and he usually gets 14-20 sacks a year now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2003, 10:33 PM   #6
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Bonez420 said:
Hey! Something that helps:

If you KNOW it's a pass or want to risk biting on the pass, press playmaker joystick up RIGHT as the ball is snapped to committ to the pass. Not only does this limit the number of completions by the CPU, but it makes the DL more aggressive for some reason. I think it makes the DL go from containment to going for the sack. So try holding up on the playmaker control as the ball is snapped to committ to the pass if you either KNOW it's a pass or want to risk committing to the pass.

This is true. Unfortunately, it reminds me of something that irritates me about the game. If you call the same pass play that's being pretty effective, the AI will "adjust" by making the pass rush more effective... Huh? I don't mind cheating a DB to the spot/receiver that I'm trying to throw to, but to make the pass rush more effective makes no sense to me. In the game, it's not like knowing the routes is going to help the pass rush - it helps the coverage. Anyway...
Old 10-20-2003, 03:18 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 8

Set the CPU pass block right to 0. This isn't cheating cause when at 0, the pass rush is as realistic as you can set it to be in 2004. Also human break block should be high, compensate for the running game in other ways.

In 2004 the D- line pass rush is a lot better then in 2003. Except for the fact that strength is too important. Fat *** DTs like Shane Burton can get four sacks in a season when he starts 4 games and plays a minimum number of snap in the rest of games. Another problem is the ineffectiveness of right ends. It doesn't matter what their rating is, they are always worse than the LEs.

Pass rush is OK for the D-line but run stop is not. The D-line just is seriously ineffective against the run. And I have the best line in the game with Carolina. Especially DTs seem to be in a limbo when it comes to recording tackles.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:54 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 6

DLine needs work. As I mentioned before the RE is useless. In my franchise I usually sim up to the playoffs. The current year I simmed and got a 95 rated RE that had 15 sacks. I was excited about playing the playoff game. I also had two DTs in the 80s and a LE is the 90s. So my playoff game against a team with a great QB and a 73 (yes 73 rated running back). This running back was on coke or something. he was bouncing off my entire line and lbs. he stiff armed my RE twice like a pile of [censored you naughty boy]. He ended up with 200 yards before i quit (cheese I know). But I was pissed. I don't mind if a good running back plows over my LE, LOLB and my SS but not a 73 rated guy. At first I thought how cool this was the CPU was running. But then i realized that on ALL Madden i don't think the ratings come in to play. The other team also had a WR out and the backup had a 67 rating. I though I should double the 91 WR guy and leave man to man with my 87 CB on the 67 guy. No chance. If the RB wasn't bouncing off my line then the 67 guy was catching every pass. I went to check the RB stats and he had a 2.8 ypc during the season. now i know guys can have great games but this guy had a carry rating of 51. the wr had only 20 catches on the year. I could not stop them. My RE had 2 tackles for the game and no sacks. he was going against a 80 LT. madden has got to make ratings more important. how often do you see a 73 rated CPU CB cover your 88 WR like Deion. it happens to me too often. then i play and i can can beat the 95 rated CB. it makes no sense. if i chooise to spend the money on higher rated guys then they should play that much better than 70's rated guys. p.s i can't stop playing this game and this could cause a divorce.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »