Home

How To Make Madden Feel Alive!

This is a discussion on How To Make Madden Feel Alive! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: How To Make Madden Feel Alive!

Great idea!

How do you implement a behavior system without offending the NFLPA though?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I would love to see Harrison form Pittsburg play like Harrison in Madden. You know like "OMG here he goes again" lol

Or see players stand over another player out of disrespect, or push someone in the back when the play was over, and see him retaliate and a fight ensues.
That would be awesome, but I just don't think Tiburon has that creativity and drive to make that happen. For a small example, they have that cool network style intro where they show the players with their helmet off flipping the ball around in a studio type environment. That's great, problem is it's the same thing EVERY time from what I've seen. Quarterback flips the ball, puts the ball in the camera. They didn't even think to add variety to that. Now hopefully I'm wrong and they did, but it's not like they don't always do stuff like this. Hell I've seen the same cutscene from Madden 06 in NCAA 13 and Madden 13! LOL.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 08-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Banned

codyj123_321's Arena

OVR: 7

I doubt you will see players fighting just for the fact it is an NFL product, and they don't wanna be represented that way. Very good ideas though OP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Banned

codyj123_321's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I agree with the premise OP and I think a fleshed out DPP could represent it. However, even with an expanded DPP to better differentiate player behavior, the key is still the animations, imo. Megatron going up fighting for the ball in the air or using his body to "box out a defender" shouldn't play out the same way as Steve Smith doing the same action. I know their visual body size will inherently be different on screen but it also matters, imo, which animation is triggered. If same 6'1 215 pound guy is doing all the mo'cap for catches, that diminishes the variety and immersion. I am not suggesting they have a mo'cap body double for every player in the NFL, just that there be more variety to the animation by having athletes of different size and skill level performing the same mo'capped actions.

I honestly can't believe by now that they don't have a huge library of varying animations for the same thing. For example, someone pointed to that video where Faulk is referring to Philip Rivers sidearm throw but on that video the virtual Rivers is throwing over handed. Maybe that's fixed before launch but I would think there would be countless animations in M13 to represent a plethora of different throwing styles, even outside of just the 32 starting QBs.

It would add tons of personality to the game and differential to players if we had to consider the technique of players as well as their ratings. Imagine having a high draft pick prospect that put up huge numbers in college but his mechanics/playstyle are questionable, like awkward throwing motion, loose ball carry style, won't slide/avoid the big hit, won't go across the middle, poor wrap tackler, lowers his head on tackles/doesn't see what he hits, etc.

Anyway, I agree with you but they need the accompanying animation variation to bring whatever behavioral AI to life.
You do his name is Tim Tebow..
Old 08-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyj123_321
You do his name is Tim Tebow..
Well played sir

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 08-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

I like the behavior traits, and I would expand on that. I believe the emotion and individuality of the player is what is missing from this game that could just blow the top off what we expect of madden. What i would like to see are techniques and mechanics added.

Range of throwing motions- imagine the debates between players you pick up in the draft. This guy has intangibles but throwing mechanics aren't there. Can you develop the player to change his motion or does he set your franchise back.

Running styles- upright runners, ball tucked high and tight, one cut, etc.

Every player looks and acts the same. This is what's missing from madden. The individuality of the players we see in the nfl. I want hard to manage personalities, bad mechanics, great mechanics, high motor, high character, vocal in your face leaders and so on. Bring in the storylines and gameplay, and visuals. I can hear it now, greatest madden ever.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I agree with the premise OP and I think a fleshed out DPP could represent it. However, even with an expanded DPP to better differentiate player behavior, the key is still the animations, imo. Megatron going up fighting for the ball in the air or using his body to "box out a defender" shouldn't play out the same way as Steve Smith doing the same action. I know their visual body size will inherently be different on screen but it also matters, imo, which animation is triggered. If same 6'1 215 pound guy is doing all the mo'cap for catches, that diminishes the variety and immersion. I am not suggesting they have a mo'cap body double for every player in the NFL, just that there be more variety to the animation by having athletes of different size and skill level performing the same mo'capped actions.

I honestly can't believe by now that they don't have a huge library of varying animations for the same thing. For example, someone pointed to that video where Faulk is referring to Philip Rivers sidearm throw but on that video the virtual Rivers is throwing over handed. Maybe that's fixed before launch but I would think there would be countless animations in M13 to represent a plethora of different throwing styles, even outside of just the 32 starting QBs.

It would add tons of personality to the game and differential to players if we had to consider the technique of players as well as their ratings. Imagine having a high draft pick prospect that put up huge numbers in college but his mechanics/playstyle are questionable, like awkward throwing motion, loose ball carry style, won't slide/avoid the big hit, won't go across the middle, poor wrap tackler, lowers his head on tackles/doesn't see what he hits, etc.

Anyway, I agree with you but they need the accompanying animation variation to bring whatever behavioral AI to life.
Your spot on with this post. I always seem to lean on MLB the show when I want to make a point with a sports title that captures the sport.

MLB the how has behavior in their game from frustration of players to players joking around, celebrating the walk off hr or hit, perfect game, and the list goes on and on. I swear when I play that game I feel like I'm a god controlling humans to do what I want. The animations are insane and the game has PERSONALITY due to the behavior the players exhibits, and this makes the game so alive for me.

I one time played a game on the Show and never skipped any moment in the game. I sat there and let every aspect of the game play out, and its freaking incredible how deep that game is with the variation of the players behavior. I'm talking about every time the pitcher gets the ball from the catcher, and how the batter behaves in the box. It just never feels the same, and they act so appropriate to the situation. The pitchers reaction when he is struggling, and the hitter when he swings at a bad pitch, or disagrees with a call. It's just unreal.

EA needs to bring this aspect of behavior over to Madden. Football is such a emotional sports that if the emotional part of football is not translated in the game, it feels empty. I really hope EA takes notice to this very important aspect and realize how this can expand to other areas of the game.

Madden 14 needs 3 very important things to be accomplished, and frankly we deserve it.

• Realistic Line Play
• Realistic Running animations
• Player Behavior

EA gives us this along with what was done right with M13, and many gamers will be extremely relieved and satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyj123_321
I doubt you will see players fighting just for the fact it is an NFL product, and they don't wanna be represented that way. Very good ideas though OP
Your absolutely correct, and I'm cool with the fighting being out, but we can get some pushing and then seeing payers and ref brake things up, and calm things down. We need the emotion of the NFL, or we will continue to wonder what is missing from the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »