Home

Big disappointment and I'm reminded why

This is a discussion on Big disappointment and I'm reminded why within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Big disappointment and I\'m reminded why

bgeno, I try to make this as mature as I can. I have the pass blocking slider set at 12 and the CPU break block at 19. This way I have sometimes no time at all and sometimes even 5 seconds.

5 seconds is a LOT, you know. When I pass I keep my eyes on the receiver I planned on throwing to right after I snap. If he isn't locked up, I'll throw it to him fast - complete or incomplete. That's the way it goes in the NFL. And I don't drop too deep, about 4 steps usually. I feel the pressure and I have it like that cause I want to. It's more difficult to pass that way.

I've played two seasons with the Panthers and I got sacked 48 times the first year and 45 the second. And that was mostly because I have a tendency to move too much in the pocket, I ran into sackers. Also I didn't always release the ball when I could and then I got sacked. Now in my third year I've learned form my mistakes and after 6 games I've been sacked only 9 times.

I am basically saying that it was your own fault. How long do you usually take before releasing? Try what results do you get with your pass block at 12 and CPU break block at 19. Lock your eyes into one receiver and pass it to him instantly if he looks to be open. If not, you're mostly in trouble. That's how it should be on most snaps. Tell me how it went later.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:55 PM   #18
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I thought that maybe it was just me, so I gave it another try as the Pack against the Bills. I can't stand this anymore. In just the first half I was sacked 7 times, I admit, one or two of them were completely my fault, but the others were my tackles just watching the ends go by. My defense was good, but allowed 13 points in the firtst half mainly because of mistakes on my offensive side: 2 Picks (one was for sure my fault, the other was way behind my reciever) and Favre Fumbled one of the times he was sacked. All those were turned into points. To end the first half, I was sacked 3 straight times when my O-line couldn't even stop a 5 man rush to give me time to let my routes develop.

I know the game of football, so don't throw out your "you don't know how to read coverages" comments. I adjusted my drop back length to virtually nothing in the shotgun and on regular sets I let Favre stop then just took one more step back so that I got control of him and as you can see, the results were not good. Even my run game couldn't take off, with the exception of a nice little 50+ yard scamper by Green. All of my other runs were any where from 3 yard losses, to 3 yard gains. And again, I know what not to do when running the football, but my linemen don't give me the opportunity to do I need to gain yards... and that's get through the holes. It's like I'm always playing with a line that's twice as bad as the Steeler's O-line, which is pretty bad.

I believe I'd given this game a fair shot, but until my linemen start blocking for a change, I can't play it... partly because I'm afraid I'm gonna throw the controller at the TV and break one of the other. I'm trying SOOO hard to like this game... I mean, I spent 50 bucs on it, I'm not gonna give up after one bad experience, which has now turned into 5 or 6.

I thank you for the advice, I really do, but I think EA's Pro Football title is heading back to the store for whatever credit I can get for it. Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:58 PM   #19
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

I'm fully aware of the animation you speak of. I call it the "turnstile tackle". Basically an offensive linemen will do a 180 degree turn while making no attempt to block as the pass rusher goes by. I've actually taken some screen shots of this and sent them to EA. This was a big problem for me with NCAA 2002 and 2003.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:39 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 8

Oh yeah, I do know about the I-won't-block-that-guy-cause-they-don't-pay-me-enough thing. Yes, it happens. It dosn't look realistic but in practice what happens is the same as when a OL-man gets beat like a drum. Since this doesn't happen frequently (or I don't see it too often) I don't mind it.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:14 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

tips that I would suggest are:

a.) run the ball as much as you can. first, second, and third downs. even if it's three and outs. Just get the running game to be a major focal part of your team's focus.

b.) keep as many players in to block as possible. 2TEs or Single WR sets (Strong, Weak, and I Form) may help establish better pass protection.

c.) pre-snap reads are essential. Determine if it's man or zone. Determine if the cpu is sending the Weak, Strong or Middle LBs when you're passing; or if if it's just a four-man pass rush. and have/use audibles for *possible* defensive looks.

d.) eliminate all 7-step drops, and find plays that are 3 step and 5 step drops. Even if it means changing playbooks.

The reasons for a, b, c & d are:

a.) fatigues the pass rushers. In madden, the defense now gets hyped up like offensive players get hyped up. If you pass the ball to your wr and they catch tough critical first downs, they start getting better as the game plays on. they make more plays and even play above their level. With this yrs version of madden, if you allow the Defensive Lineman to lineup and just pass rush you. They will start getting into a mode where you can't do anything to stop them--as you already know. In addition, your Offensive Lineman will become "dumber and lazier" in pass protection. But when you run the ball and get the critical first downs from running the ball--while getting pancakes; your offensive line will start blocking better. They will start to win more of the battles along the line.

b.) keeping your players in to block will limit your explosiveness on offense; but, it will allow you to not have your qb getting "nervous" when the pass rush is near. Because like I mentioned in explantion of tip a, the QB can also lose his ability to throw passes while being passrushed. Having 2TEs and 2RBs allows you to identify where the pass rush may be coming from the most. If you believe it's coming from your right side, then you can bring the other TE there just to block in addition to your RT, Other TE, and FB. Pass Protection should be greatly improved when motioning your blockers and hot-routing them to block for extra-protection.

c.) This is one of the vital components needed for playing 2004. You must determine the personnel on the field, if it's 3 Linebackers, or 3 corners on the field. If you see that it's man defense with 3 linebackers on the field, while you are in single back formation, ABUSE THE OLB guarding your WideReciever!!! I personally hope and wish whenever someone uses a 4-3 defense against my WRs in a 3wide formation. Because, I know that once I've determined whether it's man or zone--thru motion, I will hot-route my slot wr for a sqaure-out pattern in which I'd use the passlead feature (left analog stick) to throw the ball to the sidelines. Typically, when in 3wide formations I have my best receiver (using the personnel packages) in the slot for this game-breaking opportunity. The beauty of this is that, if the defense audibilizes into a zone defense to protect their linebacker, then use your audibles to run off tackle left or right in the appropriate gaps as you have effectively spaced out the defense. The way I do this, is by motioning once to see man coverage, then afterwards if it's zone return my man to original alignment and audibilize out of the same formation with my run plays and play action play against the zone as well. Now if the defense is coming out of Nickel, Dime or Quarters Run the ball up the gut. Your offensive lineman will destroy most linebackers and the defense will have to adjust since fatigue will start playing a role.

d.) now this may be as critical as all of the tips I have written. You can't expect pass protection in Madden this yr by your offensive lineman exclusively. You're going to need extra blockers, audibles along w/ quick hitting pass patterns. I've found that hitting your backs out the flats is great when the olb are blitzing. Especially, when your in a twin formation or trip formation where you know that it will be a one on one matchup with back and line backer inspace. I've used the run and shoot offense and it's great, especially the singleback 4w tight formation. That formation would immediately tell me if it's man or zone by the way the cpu/opponent lined up, and from there I would audiblize into a trip formation out of 4 wide; thus giving me single coverage on my outside receiver. If I see the underneath linebacker take a step blitzing, then I know that my outside receiver on the slant (I forget the play but you can look at the design and see yourself where he slants in after 1-2 steps) will be free for a 7 yard play. And if you see that one of the receivers *tripped* is not being guarded by anyone then get ready to hit them off w/ a pass. In man defense, you can exploit these matchups. Against zone defenses, your team should be able to block four Defensive Lineman. As I said, it is important to get the ball out in 3-5 steps. What will eventually happen when you effectively do this is that the Pass protection will actually get better. As I said, a change of playbooks might be what you need, because some playbooks specialize in deep pass routing--which means the pass protection has to be even better.

As everyone here has said, it takes time to get the hang of it. When I first got madden '04, it took me a week and a half to throw over %50 percent. Now, I expect QB ratings of 130 or more, whenever I play with whomever I play with. Only because I've learned how to execute these tips each and every time.

hope this helps.

later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2003, 03:21 AM   #22
Pro

OVR: 6

but how many times have you hot routed to the slot WR only to see the hack drop it. I do agree that a WR gets "hot" and will catch better if you get him involved with some easy catches. i love to run and then hit the twin WR i set PA pass. i houte route both to do curls. I look and see wich SB is playing off. Sometimes i cannot read the zone so as soon as i snap it i can watch the lb. if he covers short your stuck but usually one WR is open. the only problem is if they will drop it after they get hit. another tip would be to have a great TE and use him a lot. I can usually hot route to him if the double the WR. he is usually covered by a lb. they key is to hit him early or it will be picked by a any rated lb.

my bigesst gripe lately is that i have been trying to exploit a mismatch in the secondary. i had a 90 wr going against a 74 rookie. i thought this was going to be too easy. anyway, it was the NFC champ. game and the CB was like deion. depp, short, over the middle he was there. play action..there. in 2005 they need to make players play to their ratiung. Now it seems they play to pro, all pro or all madden and rankings are not too important for CPU players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »