Home

What position do you user control on defense?

This is a discussion on What position do you user control on defense? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: What position do you user control on defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyj123_321
I would love to use LB's or my DB's but i just have never been able to get good with it. I then give up like 4 or 5 big plays and then switch back to the Dline. How did some of you guys get consistent with DB's or LB's. I always end up out of place.
Basically just knowing your roll. If you playing saftey in cover 2 you have the deep half, if you playing lb read run or pass then play your assignment.

Basically just do you specific job on every play. Dont try to make every tackle
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 0

Defensive Line is completely out of the question. With that being said, I'll look for the lowest rated Defensive player. From LBs to CBs to Safeties, whoever is the lowest rated I usually use that guy. Presents a greater challenge with the slowest least athletic player, and it feels great to do big things with the underdog.

I used to play CB damn near exclusively until the switch to current gen. The player movement isn't precision like it used to be as they seem to slide and skate all over the place which makes it difficult to play as CB nowadays. They need to bring that precision weighted movement back so I can get back to that precision coverage, that **** is a blast and extremely rewarding when you cover routes properly.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have played just about everywhere over the years but always struggled with playing safety. I think it is because there is so much to watch for. I want to make an Eric Berry type safety in CC but definitely need a lot more practice to be any good at it.

It might just be me but CB is easier because of the limited field you have to cover compared to a safety but also gets boring when teams stay away from you. As a safety you get to support the run, blitz, blow up guys coming into your zone, as well as play in coverage.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #68
Pro

I find as a user you can make the biggest impact at MLB. You can take away a ton of the field and take away the run game as well. I'll click off to a DB if the ball is up and then make a play, but locked on the MLB until then.

The impact of being the MLB is too great to play anywhere else.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #69
Cult of Personality

OVR: 30

I was strictly FS since Madden 10, but the last couple months I've gone to an approach where on any given play I can be playing any of the 11 spots on defense. Depends on the players I have on the field, the playcall, my opponent's tendencies, and the down and distance.
Vets II | Washington Redskins(13-6) | Last Game: L 37-34 OT @ ATL (NFC Conference Championship)

Vets Bowl I Champion | Vets Bowl II Runner-Up
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #70
MVP

mpbaseball22's Arena

OVR: 14

Whichever safety has a higher catch rating to get some INT's
Old 08-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #71
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonianTexan
If I'm running a 4-3, I use the left DT, if a 3-4, the RE.
EDIT: If using any four man line, I use the left DT.
Good call on the LDT. RDT's always get double teamed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #72
Rookie

ChrisB Bacon 22's Arena

Up until last year, I would always user the FS. I was awesome in Madden 11 with Earl Thomas roaming the deep middle. I probably averaged ~2 user picks per game.

Last year I started to user the MLB on every play. Generally if I'm in my base 43 under, I'm in a cover 2 zone or 2 man and the MLB has a zone over the middle or is covering the RB. I usually disregard covering the RB in the flats unless someone starts to exploit me on that. I've found that MLB is a better fit because you can still patrol the short-mid range passing game in the middle of the field, and you don't have to worry about the deep ball. Also, the deep ball allows more time to switch to a FS or CB while the balls in the air whereas if you're usering the FS at the snap, there is very little time to switch to the MLB while the ball is in the air to a pass over the middle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »