Home

CCM + lack of Editing a contradiction?

This is a discussion on CCM + lack of Editing a contradiction? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: CCM + lack of Editing a contradiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick589
The thing is if russel Wilson breaks out and we already started a ccm we then have to restart with a new roster. In the past we could just update wilson ourselves and continue.
...Why would you do this? If he broke out in real life, why should that effect the Russel Wilson in your CCM? Your CCM is its own contained entity (as evidenced by players coming of retirement that stay retired in real life, different players coming out of college with different storylines, different coaching changes over the years, and most importantly, different player performances in the same year 1 schedule, and different outcomes to those game, the playoff games, SB, and every game thereafter).

If Russel Wilson doesn't break out in your CCM, why would you want to reward that with the ratings the "real life" Russel Wilson has proven to deserve? A player in your CCM would effectively be progressing for no reason, when he's actually on the bench or playing poorly in your CCM.

And if he IS performing to a break-out level, like the real world Russel Wilson in your example...then he can be progressed weekly if you desire to represent that!

I don't see the issue with this particular example, unless you want real-world results to be carried over to or represented in an unrealistic fashion in what is essentially an "alternate reality" NFL CCM in every other way. Doesn't make sense for me.

If there's another Victor Cruz type breakout this year, I only want that represented in my CCM if that player (and/or the player controlling him either as a superstar or a coach) also breaks out in my CCM. I don't want to plop real world player development into a mode taking place under different circumstances. That pulls me right out of it. I'm having a hard time understanding how that wouldn't be the case for anyone else. Any player, with potential gone, can be that "breakout player" now. Replicate it in your CCM if you want that player to deserve the ratings a real-world breakout player is likely to be bumped up to. It's very doable.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjames01
That would make ZERO sense to allow that unless
1. The game would only be updated every 3 years
2. The game sucks and EA pretends to make it better every year.
1. It wouldnt matter how often the game was updated because people could save 60 bucks and update their old copies with roster editing
2. The game does suck and EA does pretend to make it better every year.....
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnSKINS26
...Why would you do this? If he broke out in real life, why should that effect the Russel Wilson in your CCM? Your CCM is its own contained entity (as evidenced by players coming of retirement that stay retired in real life, different players coming out of college with different storylines, different coaching changes over the years, and most importantly, different player performances in the same year 1 schedule, and different outcomes to those game, the playoff games, SB, and every game thereafter).

If Russel Wilson doesn't break out in your CCM, why would you want to reward that with the ratings the "real life" Russel Wilson has proven to deserve? A player in your CCM would effectively be progressing for no reason, when he's actually on the bench or playing poorly in your CCM.

And if he IS performing to a break-out level, like the real world Russel Wilson in your example...then he can be progressed weekly if you desire to represent that!

I don't see the issue with this particular example, unless you want real-world results to be carried over to or represented in an unrealistic fashion in what is essentially an "alternate reality" NFL CCM in every other way. Doesn't make sense for me.

If there's another Victor Cruz type breakout this year, I only want that represented in my CCM if that player (and/or the player controlling him either as a superstar or a coach) also breaks out in my CCM. I don't want to plop real world player development into a mode taking place under different circumstances. That pulls me right out of it. I'm having a hard time understanding how that wouldn't be the case for anyone else. Any player, with potential gone, can be that "breakout player" now. Replicate it in your CCM if you want that player to deserve the ratings a real-world breakout player is likely to be bumped up to. It's very doable.
I get what youre saying man i really do. I run all my sports game franchises
in their own worlds, but there are people who like to mirror real life in theirs. They paid the same amount of money for the game as you or i why should
they not be able to play the game how they want to play it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 6

I'm a CCM convert and I can only speak for myself but when they first broke the news of the mode I focused entirely on the can't's and not's and my blood pressure lifted about 300 points. But then I started doing my research and CCM looks incredibly promising. Now promise isn't reality and more often than not this team falls dramatically short of where it could and should be but I don't think its a contradiction.

If CCM lives up to its potential, you will have unprecedented control over your franchise and its growth and just because you don't have the same control you have over one particular area, you can't ignore the increased flexibility you have in other areas.

The reason why I don't think lack of editing is a contradiction is if you had ultimate control over the ratings, then what is the value of XP? If you think Player X's short accuracy rating is too low you could change it versus trying to reach the goals to generate the XP to increase the ratings.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #37
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjames01
What if a player is having a breakout season in the game, but does not in real life?
Conversely, at what point is a sports video game absolved of responsibility of having to mirror real life because it is in fact a digital simulation and decidedly not real life?

The simulation is run with the given scenario presented to it from the outset. It should not be expected behavior that the parameters of the simulation should be able to drastically modified at any point. That defeats the purpose of the simulation.

Again, to be clear, I want player editing back in CCM as well. But I understand why it's not in Madden NFL 13 (no, it's not because Tiburon is lazy or that Tiburon doesn't care about its fans).
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #38
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

I could care less about players having the correct helmets and things like that. Taking away the ability to edit becomes a problem once the inevitable ratings issue comes into play. I'm not trying to knock Madden when I say this either. Every sports game I've played seems to have some issue with the ratings that requires editing to make the game play better over the course of a franchise. Whether it's rookies/freshmen coming in rated too low, some rating being too high or progressing/regressing too quickly.

(also it doesn't have to necessary be ratings, can also pop up with cpu controlled teams handling their rosters poorly to the point it negatively affects the franchise as a whole)

When that issue pops up in Madden we'll be SOL.

It's stupid to take away things like the ability to edit, especially weird when they just put it in last year. More customization = better able to satisfy a wider range of people.

Last edited by poopoop; 08-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #39
Banned

Jibbler's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
By this argument, one would have to restart CCM as soon as he played a single game, because the in-game statistics, storylines, and injuries would not match real life. To this end, Madden - and as far as I know every licensed sports game that has ever released - has never allowed for application of a roster update to a previously-saved career mode file.

I understand the desire for player editing - I really do - but some point, people ought to suspend disbelief and realize they are playing a video game.

To the topic question, it's not a contradiction because a coach can't edit his players in real life. Player editing and the technical complications it presents (namely, propogating edited data back to the server and syncing it with other players in the event of online play, among other things) was not seen as critical to the core football experience, so it didn't make it into the first year of CCM. If the trade-off was between player editing and, say, player contracts, the NFL draft, or the new player development / progression system, I think they made the correct choice.
SO in real life we gain XP and get faster speed? so your telling me I can be faster then Bolt and break the world record if I just get XP??? wow never knew that how realistic this XP thing is!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #40
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbler
SO in real life we gain XP and get faster speed? so your telling me I can be faster then Bolt and break the world record if I just get XP??? wow never knew that how realistic this XP thing is!
It's a matter of making a fun video game.

XP is a mechanic first used in role-playing games for player progression. Turns out that a properly-tuned XP distribution mechanic is massively popular, as it makes it obvious to the video game player how much work he has to do to increase his rank, and thus serves as a motivating factor. The mechanic is everywhere; RPGs, first-person shooters, racing games, and it was in sports games before Madden 13 as well.

If you have a problem with the XP mechanic, you have a problem with video games in general.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »