Home

How Madden can be made a simulator viably

This is a discussion on How Madden can be made a simulator viably within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
Rookie

ozzy57's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: How Madden can be made a simulator viably

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMaximus
Compare Madden to other games the Show, NBA2k, Fifa in terms of gameplay and presentation. Do you think Madden is on par with those games? To me Madden has become stagnant in every aspect compared to those games.
I wonder where we would be in videogame football without the exclusive licenses? Would it be like what we have now in NBA videogames? If 2k could do what they did in 2k5 what would we have now in 2012? Compare what we have now with the NBA2k series and NBA Live, that's been a 1st round knockout.
NBA2k yea I see about the same number of fundamental errors in Madden as NBA. Ok so let's get this straight if 2K was so confident that they could make great football games they would have forked out the money to get the exclusive license 2K basketball games peaked at 2K9 they have done the Madden approach and took things out since then. Fifa is a great example until a few years ago it wasn't that great. How about NHL that is a first round Knockout EA dominated 2K in that series where are they at now in NHL?? Do I think Madden is as great as it could be? no not at all I never said that you can re-read my post What I said is that it sells.

I don't think enough people want an entire sim where they have to do all the coaching aspects and everything that go with it. More realistic gameplay yes I think more people want that. I just don't think enough people want a "TRUE SIM" for them to abandon what they have now. Maybe they could try another game to come out with it but I don't see them trying that.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy57
NBA2k yea I see about the same number of fundamental errors in Madden as NBA. Ok so let's get this straight if 2K was so confident that they could make great football games they would have forked out the money to get the exclusive license 2K basketball games peaked at 2K9 they have done the Madden approach and took things out since then. Fifa is a great example until a few years ago it wasn't that great. How about NHL that is a first round Knockout EA dominated 2K in that series where are they at now in NHL?? Do I think Madden is as great as it could be? no not at all I never said that you can re-read my post What I said is that it sells.

I don't think enough people want an entire sim where they have to do all the coaching aspects and everything that go with it. More realistic gameplay yes I think more people want that. I just don't think enough people want a "TRUE SIM" for them to abandon what they have now. Maybe they could try another game to come out with it but I don't see them trying that.
What the heck are you saying if 2k was so confident they would of shelled out the money for the contract do you think they could compete with the biggest developer in videogames EA on a highest bid contract? About the 2k basketball you don't think NBA2k11 was better?
It sells because it's the only NFL game in town. the NFL is a 9-10 Billion dollar a year industry because we love it. Yeah Ea's NHL did as you said but it wasn't because of exclusive contracts they competed and won, as it should be. Wish all the Exclusives would just go away and that goes for all sportsgames.

Last edited by MissionMaximus; 08-12-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
Rookie

ozzy57's Arena

Quote:
It sells because it's the only NFL game in town. the NFL is a 9-10 Billion dollar a year industry because we love it. Yeah Ea's NHL did as you said but it wasn't because of exclusive contracts they competed and won, as it should be.
Well with that wouldn't the only NBA game last longer then 2 weeks in the top 10 sales chart?

My point is that even though what is suppose to be a large number of people complain and say they won't buy Madden

You don't have to buy the game, it is the only NFL game but you don't have to buy it. Typically most people who don't like something won't buy it.

But back on topic a SIM Madden not a BETTER Madden do you truly think that a "TRUE SIM" Madden game would do as well as Madden does now?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy57
Well with that wouldn't the only NBA game last longer then 2 weeks in the top 10 sales chart?

My point is that even though what is suppose to be a large number of people complain and say they won't buy Madden

You don't have to buy the game, it is the only NFL game but you don't have to buy it. Typically most people who don't like something won't buy it.

But back on topic a SIM Madden not a BETTER Madden do you truly think that a "TRUE SIM" Madden game would do as well as Madden does now?

Yes. Just include Arcade, Normal, Simulation Presets along with alot more Sliders. That way everyone can adjust their game to what they want. I don't think dumbing down gaming is the way to go. Give me more options not less.
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing on EA, I appreciate what they do with sports games as others. Just would love to see competition on all sportsgames. I think it would benifit all of us to have more choices.

Last edited by MissionMaximus; 08-12-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #21
Rookie

ozzy57's Arena

Quote:
[/b]

Yes. Just include Arcade, Normal, Simulation Presets along with alot more Sliders. That way everyone can adjust their game to what they want. I don't think dumbing down gaming is the way to go. Give me more options not less.
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing on EA, I appreciate what they do with sports games as others. Just would love to see competition on all sportsgames. I think it would benifit all of us to have more choices.
I'm not trying to say that they should dumb down the game I would like to see them add some sim elements. I think if they want to do a full sim game that it would have to be another game built from the ground up not Madden 14 or 15 it could still have the Madden name I just don't think it should be Madden. Why not make 2 games but don't put out the sim game every year. Again this won't happen because they make money the way they are doing things you won't see COD take a year off just for the hell of it when they know they can put out the game every year and still have profits
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #22
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

I doubt anyone at EA would develop a plan to make Madden, or an offshoot game, a serious "SimFootball" title. It's not because it wouldn't sell. It's because the Madden formula has worked for such a long time, that the resources needed to develop this game would not pay off.

I have no idea what EA Sports profit margin is per game sold, but I know it would drop greatly if they needed to build another game to satisfy only about 20% of their current fan base. And that's where the 80/20 rule kicks in.

They'd need to spend 80% of their resources to satisfy 20% of their customers. Not a good deal.

IMO, a more reasonable approach would be to sell, yes sell, DLC packs to add simulation functionality to the game. These packs might be titled "OTA", "Training Camp", "Gameplanning", and "Press Conference". They stand on their own as gameplayable modules inside the base Madden game, each working in JUST their own specific titled areas.

Imagine, simulation players buying an OTA DLC, allowing them to train players, install offense and defenses, and make preliminary evaluations of rookies. Or maybe the Gameplanning DLC could break down your opponent's strengths and weaknesses and tendancies. Practicing specific formation/play combos against your opponent's sets effectively could result in expected boosts in performance, etc.

All this could be done within the existing framework of Madden, modifying the values of the existing ratings format, and help satisfy the sim players among us, while not adversely effecting the arcade majority.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #23
Rookie

edjames01's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
I doubt anyone at EA would develop a plan to make Madden, or an offshoot game, a serious "SimFootball" title. It's not because it wouldn't sell. It's because the Madden formula has worked for such a long time, that the resources needed to develop this game would not pay off.

I have no idea what EA Sports profit margin is per game sold, but I know it would drop greatly if they needed to build another game to satisfy only about 20% of their current fan base. And that's where the 80/20 rule kicks in.

They'd need to spend 80% of their resources to satisfy 20% of their customers. Not a good deal.

IMO, a more reasonable approach would be to sell, yes sell, DLC packs to add simulation functionality to the game. These packs might be titled "OTA", "Training Camp", "Gameplanning", and "Press Conference". They stand on their own as gameplayable modules inside the base Madden game, each working in JUST their own specific titled areas.

Imagine, simulation players buying an OTA DLC, allowing them to train players, install offense and defenses, and make preliminary evaluations of rookies. Or maybe the Gameplanning DLC could break down your opponent's strengths and weaknesses and tendancies. Practicing specific formation/play combos against your opponent's sets effectively could result in expected boosts in performance, etc.

All this could be done within the existing framework of Madden, modifying the values of the existing ratings format, and help satisfy the sim players among us, while not adversely effecting the arcade majority.
They already created an awesome football sim called Head Coach.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjames01
They already created an awesome football sim called Head Coach.
Loved it, wish EA would release a PC HeadCoach with the current Engine. They have Origin now why not?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »