Home

Does the ratings team even watch the NFL?

This is a discussion on Does the ratings team even watch the NFL? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Banned

Stampede_94's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Does the ratings team even watch the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Yes they watch every game each week.... Fact not opinion.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
They might watch, but they certainly don't take notes.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I think this is what Dj is referring to and this coach does a much better job of explaining it than I ever could. The free style nature of audibling in Madden needs to go away or at least provide more realistic representation of the difficulty through risk of confusion when going into an entirely different formation.

http://usafootball.com/news/coaches/...dibles-defense
Yea I agree man, they just fall into Position with like no delay or anything like they are robots or something. Maybe like make it dependent on awareness or something so that more aware players can do the robot thing to a lesser extent but less aware ones maybe get into the wrong position or see them looking around confused or something.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I think this is what Dj is referring to and this coach does a much better job of explaining it than I ever could. The free style nature of audibling in Madden needs to go away or at least provide more realistic representation of the difficulty through risk of confusion when going into an entirely different formation.

http://usafootball.com/news/coaches/...dibles-defense
This. Many teams audible but they might check out of a blitz into man, zone, or vice versa. But to see a 4-3 personnel package audible to a dime/quarters front or vice versa is the kind of stuff that should be limited as to prevent audibling down just to get FASTER DB'S at LB positions for blitzs.

Offensively things like formation shifts exist and in a way you can re-create that in Madden. What I'd like to see more of is awareness factoring in to the amount/success of QB audibles at the LOS. Also AWR should play a roll for the skill positions in regards to them 'executing' the audibled route etc.

As things stand Spd, Acc, Hit Pwr, Prss, BSH are the most sought after attributes (all physical), meanwhile awareness, route running, Play Recognition are afterthoughts for many. The game is played with a mental edge, I'd just like to see more of that represented in Madden.

Lower difficulties for casuals who don't know better is where calling whatever should be able to work to a fault. But on All-Madden at the least, if you call quarters and I'm in '22' (2 HB's/2TE's) I should destroy your defense if I run. The game should reward those with a football IQ, not a Madden IQ; while being accessible to the casuals through the rookie/pro difficulties.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Yes they watch every game each week.... Fact not opinion.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Then they should 'study' instead of watch. I can watch something and still have no idea what I'm looking at exactly. I watch hockey occasionally when bored (as I'm a basketball/football fan and player) but I can't really tell you anything beyond Sidney Crosby, and that other guy are supposed to be really good, and what a goal is.

My rephrased question would be "How well does the ratings team understand football, player positions, roles of positions related to the scheme run etc., and how the ratings allow them to play their role in respect to their real-life counter-part effectively based on the way the game works?" Because with just some of the slider tuning I've toyed around with you see a change in football outcomes vs Madden outcomes, BUT it doesn't make it feel like a completely new game, it just limits the non-football concepts from being AS effective.

Example Casey Hampton NT 3-4 has 98 PMV (in the game this is what triggers the power-type pass rush moves) why does a player WHO IS NOT A PASS RUSHER have such high pass rush moves (this type of gaff based on the way the game works is why DT's whether 4-3/3-4 get so many sacks). A 3-4 nose is more about taking up space, and being strong at the point of attack (strength/BSH to a degree as well) to take on double teams to keep the LB's clean to make plays.

There are several other examples, but that's a pretty simple one to illustrate.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988

Last edited by Dj_MyTime; 08-12-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Banned

No they don't watch NFL at all imo, too much BS in madden contributes to this theory. I have played guys who would audible right out of the huddle and have guys lined up at OLB that are DB's and dominate Olinemen as if ratings don't mean jack.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_MyTime
This. Many teams audible but they might check out of a blitz into man, zone, or vice versa. But to see a 4-3 personnel package audible to a dime/quarters front or vice versa is the kind of stuff that should be limited as to prevent audibling down just to get FASTER DB'S at LB positions for blitzs.

Offensively things like formation shifts exist and in a way you can re-create that in Madden. What I'd like to see more of is awareness factoring in to the amount/success of QB audibles at the LOS. Also AWR should play a roll for the skill positions in regards to them 'executing' the audibled route etc.

As things stand Spd, Acc, Hit Pwr, Prss, BSH are the most sought after attributes (all physical), meanwhile awareness, route running, Play Recognition are afterthoughts for many. The game is played with a mental edge, I'd just like to see more of that represented in Madden.

Lower difficulties for casuals who don't know better is where calling whatever should be able to work to a fault. But on All-Madden at the least, if you call quarters and I'm in '22' (2 HB's/2TE's) I should destroy your defense if I run. The game should reward those with a football IQ, not a Madden IQ; while being accessible to the casuals through the rookie/pro difficulties.
Seriously, factors like strength don't seem to matter if I'm in a heavy set and you are in dime your corners shouldn't be running around my lineman to make tackles in the backfield. First NFL tackles are quick and would be able to at least get a hand on the corners and if they block them the corners would be destroyed.

In the NFL the defense waits to see offensive personnel then send in their own. If youre an idiot and pick a 4-3 defense before I pick my 4wide set you should be punished and I should get a big play based on the personnel.

But instead somehow a lb is stride for stride with a wr or the defense seems to kno where my wr is going and cut at the exact same time. It doesn't punish people for making stupid football decisions
NHL- Blackhawks
Soccer- Eh
Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCrap
Seriously, factors like strength don't seem to matter if I'm in a heavy set and you are in dime your corners shouldn't be running around my lineman to make tackles in the backfield. First NFL tackles are quick and would be able to at least get a hand on the corners and if they block them the corners would be destroyed.

In the NFL the defense waits to see offensive personnel then send in their own. If youre an idiot and pick a 4-3 defense before I pick my 4wide set you should be punished and I should get a big play based on the personnel.

But instead somehow a lb is stride for stride with a wr or the defense seems to kno where my wr is going and cut at the exact same time. It doesn't punish people for making stupid football decisions
This. So much this, I just hope someday we get a better overall package
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan123
I'm sure this is one of many examples but there is no way Woodhead is faster than Vereen for the Pats.
Danny Woodhead was timed at 4.38 in the 40 with 1.44 and 2.5 10 and 20 yard splits (i.e. excellent) at his pro day.

Shane Vereen ran a 4.49 40 at the combine.

Hmmmm.....

Anyway, don't get me wrong, Vereen's got a nice burst and shows good quickness, but Woodheads game IS quickness and burst - and the numbers seem to back that up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »