Home

Formation subs in?

This is a discussion on Formation subs in? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
MVP

jclentzthadon's Arena

OVR: 15
Formation subs in?

Do we have true formation subs? Not the right stick sub packages, but the formation subs you could do from the interface. It's been out for at least a couple-few years, maybe longer. Really a good thig to have in te game if they put it in.

I searched and didn't see anything on this. Hope it's in there and didn't know if someone had the info.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Formation subs in?

This is a question I've been asking every year around this time since 08, because it's never been in any next gen Madden that I've played. My guess, and strictly my guess, would be no, it's not in. It's just always seemed like one of those things that's been a low priority to them.

Now I do hope that I'm dead wrong, because there are details emerging that we had no idea about, like the new Ball Hawk feature. But if history is any indicator...

Oh, and if formation subs is in, I hope they went the extra step and put in the ability to create packages, because I found the formation subs in NCAA really limiting.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 08-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
MVP

jclentzthadon's Arena

OVR: 15

Thx for the response.

What is the "ball hawk" feature?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclentzthadon
Thx for the response.

What is the "ball hawk" feature?
It's basically defensive assist 2.0. When the ball is thrown, you can hold down the Y button and your defender will move into position and go up to high point the ball.

EDIT: Here's the exact way that AJ, an EA community guy, described it.

Quote:
Basically, it's kind of like the Defensive Assist button (A/X), but for making a play on a ball in the air.

When the ball is in the air, you click onto the defender - hold Y/Triangle - and it will take you to the highest point (aggressive point) and attempt to make a pick.

This does NOT replace the old use of timing your picks by tapping Y, just as defensive assist didn't replace making tackles for yourself. You can still control your player and move him to a spot exactly as you could before. This just helps the people who struggle to get their defensive players in the right spot before attempting a pick. You can still swat the ball with LB/L1.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 08-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
This is a question I've been asking every year around this time since 08, because it's never been in any next gen Madden that I've played. My guess, and strictly my guess, would be no, it's not in. It's just always seemed like one of those things that's been a low priority to them.
This is wrong.

Formation substitutions have been a feature in Madden since M10. Making them is cumbersome in that they must be performed at the playcall screen during the formation select step, but they are most definitely there.

I believe on 360 you may perform formation subs by pressing RB at the playcall screen; I don't have Madden in front of me (sold it) and I don't remember for sure what the exact button mapping is, but this is what my Google-fu returns.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This is wrong.

Formation substitutions have been a feature in Madden since M10. Making them is cumbersome in that they must be performed at the playcall screen during the formation select step, but they are most definitely there.

I believe on 360 you may perform formation subs by pressing RB at the playcall screen; I don't have Madden in front of me (sold it) and I don't remember for sure what the exact button mapping is, but this is what my Google-fu returns.
Yeah, I know those formation subs have been in the game. I was talking about the ones you can set without actually playing a game -- the way that NCAA has it.

I thought that's what the OP was talking about. If that isn't what the OP was referring to, my mistake.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This is wrong.

You can not use formation subs for any special teams plays, with the exception of field goal and punt return.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Rookie

bucknut88's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Yeah, I know those formation subs have been in the game. I was talking about the ones you can set without actually playing a game -- the way that NCAA has it.

I thought that's what the OP was talking about. If that isn't what the OP was referring to, my mistake.
Yeah, being able to set the formation subs outside of games so that when you go to that formation in the game the players you want are already there. And you dont have to worry about wasting a few seconds on the play clock to flick the analog stick to the package you want.

I get what you're saying. And I like the way NCAA has it right now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »