Home

So am I the only one who plays on Very Fast with Threshold at 0?

This is a discussion on So am I the only one who plays on Very Fast with Threshold at 0? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #33
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: So am I the only one who plays on Very Fast with Threshold at 0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
I highly doubt it.

Well that begs the question, which one is it? Some say that's too easy to get caught from behind, and you're saying in this example it was impossible for him to get caught from behind. All of which says to me there are some misconceptions about what higher thresholds do.

Just to reiterate, we've all seen posts here over the years that the only rating that matters in Madden is speed. We've all seen them. So here's the solution to making speed not be the end-all-be-all, and people runaway from it. It's perplexing.

Like Poster said, there is no right or wrong. It's preference, and it's all about how you see the NFL.
I'm going with a 100 threshold. I believe what your stated before to make the most sense. What I need to remember is that the Wr could have been fatigue. He just ran a route and had to fight through a block , so that could have contributed to him not being able to catch the player from behind.

Sometimes we over look the little things. I believe that 100 best represents the 40 times as you stated. I was never aware of that piece of information.

Thanks RGiles36 I'm rolling with that
Old 08-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #34
Rookie

dboyfresh89deuce's Arena

OVR: 2
Just played two games with the threshold at 100 and felt really good with the gameplay. I had two big runs for TDs with bradshaw and still had great seperation. My receivers were still getting open with the window being timely. I played with the speed at slow though, I feel with the gameplay at slow the animations play out smoother. I enjoyed playing with 100 threshold, and I'm going to continue to stick with it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #35
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyfresh89deuce
Just played two games with the threshold at 100 and felt really good with the gameplay. I had two big runs for TDs with bradshaw and still had great seperation. My receivers were still getting open with the window being timely. I played with the speed at slow though, I feel with the gameplay at slow the animations play out smoother. I enjoyed playing with 100 threshold, and I'm going to continue to stick with it.

If it represents the 40 times of the players than that is exactly what im looking for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #36
Rookie

dboyfresh89deuce's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
If it represents the 40 times of the players than that is exactly what im looking for.
I felt it represented the speed of players the way it should. It does force you play slow, and what I mean is choose your holes and follow your blocks. A sweep will get blown up if you accelerate too soon because the seperation is narrowed. But overall you'll like the feel of the players playing at their respected speeds

Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Even at 0 you see slower players making plays on a faster player if they have a good angle on him or that player is fatigued. To each his own but I will never play with a threshold higher then 0 unless I'm playing online with default 50 because I have no choice. The threshold just doesn't feel right to me that high..

To the OP I been rocking Very Fast and 0 threshold since they first introduced those options to the game and I've always had fun with it. It's definitely more of a challenge playing on fast or very fast because of the quick decision making you have to make on offense and defense.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #38
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I play on Very Fast - but not 0. I use 16.

I think 0 is too spread out. 90 and 99 should have a difference that's somewhat significant. 99 and 95 should be more about angle and fatigue (which I jack up). There should be some difference over longer distance, but in a short space? Should be basically the same.

As for what it does - dfos had these tests that showed PUR/ACC mattered more on 100. It also changed when the player went into "full speed mode" on defense (he noted it by a change in the player's running animation).

I think it's a "how fast the player moves" threshold. Not necessarily just raw foot speed. PUR changes how fast a player moves. I've seen my MLB with 99 PRC and PUR move faster than anyone else on the field. He probably moved at "99 SPD" if not faster.

Speed as in "playing speed" to put it in a less "gamey" expression.

This would explain why lower SPD players can catch up if they have higher PUR ratings (and most defenders have high-ish PUR ratings). It would explain why I see high PUR "play faster" than a faster raw SPD player. May also explain why the defense seems to improve on 100 - PUR and maybe PRC have a bigger impact. So defenders move faster based on how PUR impacts them.

JMO.

Last edited by KBLover; 08-18-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 4

The pass rush is already fast and unbalanced with DTs getting as much pressure as DEs. M13 seems to have a better grip on that but there still isn't a pocket well represented, not really any reason to make it hard on yourself imho.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #40
Banned

js3512's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm with RGiles in this argument. To the poster who said there's a big difference in speed from a skill position to a lineman in the NFL you're dead wrong. Linemen in the NFL may be big guys but they're also very fast for big guys. This is exactly the reason things like option plays generally don't fair too well in the NFL but have been utilized for decades in college and high school. Linemen in college and HS simply aren't fast enough to contain the play on a regular basis but in the NFL in can be contained against most teams very well. Remember, those starting linemen in the NFL are about the top 2% of college linemen. The disparity really should be minimal for an accurate portrayal of NFL football.

As for playing on the faster speeds, again, I disagree. Not so much because of the way the game plays or looks but because of Madden's poor footplanting and momentum. Because footplanting doesn't have the effect it should on a runner, a runner is able to cover more ground in less steps. Another poster stated in another thread that the average time it took for a kickoff to be returned for a TD over the last few years was 11 seconds so he recorded how long it took on the different speed settings and slow and very slow comes much closer to that 11 seconds whereas the faster settings take 7-9 seconds. So basically, visually it may look more authentic but time wise and the way things play out it's not. Thinking about this makes me think of a Reggie Bush punt return from a few years back. I noticed his legs were churning a mile a minute and looked like very fast Madden but the ground he covered with each step was no where near how quickly he'd cover ground on Madden. It was as if he was in slow motion but his legs were amped up if that makes any sense. Really all Madden would have to do to correct this is implement FIFA's running animations. That's one game that has the speed, leg rate and footplanting spot on IMO.

But in the end to each his own and thanks to these options we're all free to play on whatever settings we choose.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »