Home

The Beauty of Player Development in Madden 13

This is a discussion on The Beauty of Player Development in Madden 13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Three years ago the release of Madden 10 was a sad day for many offline franchise users. Madden 10 was the year that player potential ratings made their first appearance on next-gen consoles, and the future of our virtual NFL players were noticeably scripted.

One of my favorite players in the league at the time was Washington Redskin's tight end Fred Davis, and I was disappointed when I saw his player potential rating of "D." No matter what happened in my offline franchise, I could never witness Fred Davis progress past 69 OVR or become a starting-calibar tight end in Madden 10.
My post from back in the day: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/355056-fred-davis-vs-jermichael-finley-debate.html]The Fred Davis vs. Jermichael Finley Debate

Fortunately, gone are the Madden days of old; when the hard cap on player potential stunted a player's growth and development. With the new and glorious XP system in Connected Careers Mode, we can develop anyone into an elite player.

"You've proved them wrong Fred. Your rating comes in at 83 OVR in Madden 13."

The story of Thomas Howard:
My friends have an ongoing joke that every woman I date takes a backseat to Bengals outside linebacker Thomas Howard. Since 2006 I have traded for Howard in every Madden offline franchise I've played because he ranks among the elite pass coverage linebackers in Madden. His ratings don't blow anyone away, but I love linebackers that can blanket a tight end and he was always my best option.

Thanks to the new XP system this year, I can retire my annual ritual of trading for Thomas Howard and develop my own pass coverage OLB's.

"Enjoy staying in Cincinnati my friend, I won't have to trade for you anymore."

Backup quarterbacks:
Perhaps the most exciting development in the new XP system, is the ability to develop backup quarterbacks. In past Maddens, users would be limited in developing quarterbacks that held the clipboard behind the likes of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Without on-field experience, backup quarterbacks would struggle to reach their full pre-determined potential. Now, we finally have the option to start developing our backup quarterback as our elite starter reaches the twilight of his career.

I'm looking at you Brock Osweiler:

Player Resurrection:
Another bonus to the new XP system is the ability to resurrect the careers of former "busts." Players like Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Vernon Gholston come to mind; high draft picks who never fulfilled their potential. I personally would love to see if I can bring Vince Young back to prominence and into elite QB status.

"Move over Jim Kelly. By the time I'm done with him, Vince Young will be Buffalo's best ever quarterback."

The next Wes Welker or James Harrison:
Maybe you're the kind of user who likes to see an underdog succeed in the NFL. Maybe you want to take an undrafted player and mold him into a Pro Bowler. No longer will we cut that 72 OVR undrafted free agent MLB in favor of the 61 OVR third round MLB due to potential ratings. We are now more inclined to stick with the underdog because his future isn't scripted; we control his destiny.

"Mark Herzlich; the next Ray Lewis in my CCM"

Finally, the futures of our virtual NFL players are no longer scripted for success or failure. We are in control, and I think the new XP system is beautiful.

What do you think about the new XP system? What is your favorite part about it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Nev
Rookie

Nev's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The Beauty of Player Development in Madden 13

What I like is that players are rewarded for their success.

Gone are the days of a rookie WR racking up 1000 yards and 10 TD's, but not progressing because his potential is C. Whilst the A potential guy shoots up 6 OVR points off a 300 yard, 2 TD season.

I also like the control. I can mold my team into a Man Press team by investing time in training drills (XP). I can get that undrafted WR with great acceleration and agility and invest XP into his route running.

Only 9 more sleeps... Can't wait!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

I get the beauty of what XP is supposed to be, but if so many people are cheesing the games they play (and probably their practices even more so), what's going to keep you playing online then? Your league better be full of integrity, you know. Some of you are lucky to have enough solid friends for online leagues, whereas most of us are going to be SOL and just have to hope for the best.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
MVP

8's Arena

OVR: 21

Offline franchise FTW!!

RAVENS/ORIOLES
Old 08-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Pro

moneal2001's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth
I get the beauty of what XP is supposed to be, but if so many people are cheesing the games they play (and probably their practices even more so), what's going to keep you playing online then? Your league better be full of integrity, you know. Some of you are lucky to have enough solid friends for online leagues, whereas most of us are going to be SOL and just have to hope for the best.
the thing about the xp system and goals is that it has a cap. you can't boost a player by getting him 1000 yards a game. he is xp will cap out at the 4th tier goal for that week or season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

I love it, it is a genius idea.

It finally allows the user to truly take control of your team in a way that isn't artificial or without feeling like you're cheating.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 4

Audie Cole for sure. I'm sure his rating will be a little low but he showed what he can do in that last preseason game and now I'm a big fan. I'm still not a huge Ponder fan but he's winning me over so he might be my other little project but I would love to get Russell Wilson or maybe Kaepernick on my Vikings.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Rookie

Juce734's Arena

OVR: 2

When I have more than a 2 TD lead in the game I may have to bring in backups at key positions to earn them some XP. Can't wait to see how it works.

Currently playing NCAA 2014
PSN: Juce734 website http://www.rpgjuce.com/

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »