Home

Breaking Down Madden: The Run Game

This is a discussion on Breaking Down Madden: The Run Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Breaking Down Madden: The Run Game

Strangely enough, the writer of the article made me think of something...
Back on the Nintendo64 there was a hockey game by Acclaim (NHL Breakaway maybe?) where you could, as a defenseman, by holding down one of the triggers engage the offensive player and then use the stick to "ride" the guy either out of the slot and away from the goal or into the boards. If you held it too long you would get called for Holding.
This mechanic ALONE kept me playing the game while EA was putting out even better all around hockey games because it provided for so much more control and strategy on defense.
So even as far back as a cartridge console could you do SOME of what the writer talks about needing to be able to do in Madden on a next gen console.
Once EA implements the Overhaul and refinements to the OL/DL play this game is going to be incredible.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 6

Fantastic break down

So true about knowing how the animation is going to play out so good players see it coming and then go around the way they will break from the block.

Also very much needed about expanded controls their is little to no skill is D-Line and their should be a chess match going on, on every play.

Great breakdown i think expanded physics will fix alot of this.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #35
Banned

Goodydog's Arena

OVR: 1
I would love for all of the "Madden loyalists" to read this article, so that they could understand that the criticism that some have for the Madden series is legitimate. But you know what I expect to hear from those guys?...crickets.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #36
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

The run game and the return game are now the only two areas that do not play to a level I expect them to play at at this stage of the console cycle. Passing game this year is pretty solid, but the running game is very vanilla. I agree with the OP that lateral blocks need to be implimented in the game as I stated in another thread. It is the reason that there are so many runs that can be easily broken to the outside, because the line blocks straight forward and coupled with the EXTREMELY unrealistic player movement you can just take 2 steps to the outside and be running full speed down the sideline.

SPEAKING OF player movement whos bright idea was it to have the ball carrier keep their "shoulders square to the line of scrimmage" in the first place? I could forgive some of the player movements but this part of it is just laughable. I kno everyone knows what I am talking about when you are running with the stick up and to the right and then you move it up and to the left and your player literally takes 0-1.5 steps with their off arm in the air like they are gonna shed an incoming tackler. I swear to god I could live with some ice skating if only the movement LOOKED like I was actually running, like say instead of the terrible square your body to the line of scrimmage all the time b.s we have they would just have it so if we moved the stick too far away from where we were holding it the runner would just make a cut animation...Swing and a miss on that one EA.

It is just frustrating because the tools are definitely there to make a great running game but it is neglected.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 9
Awesome write up! This and foot planting is the reason I wont buy Madden! I just can't.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #38
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodydog
I would love for all of the "Madden loyalists" to read this article, so that they could understand that the criticism that some have for the Madden series is legitimate. But you know what I expect to hear from those guys?...crickets.
It doesn't say anything we haven't already known for the last several years. It's been a well known issue for quite a while now. I honestly think the bigger problem doesn't lie in the run game, but the pass game in terms of the blocking.

The win/loss nature of the animations isn't as bad IMO when involved in the running game but when you do get those situations where three different lineman simultaneously pull the same 'win' animation to come off a block, it becomes more of an issue. In terms of the passing game, a win animation rewards an unabated blocker while the loss animation results in no pass rush whatsoever which is a HUGE problem.

I would have liked to see this year OL-DL interaction, get the same treatment that the catching got this year with all the additional animations. It wouldn't be the answer and it would still be flawed but it would have been a huge improvement over what we've had and would allow for, at the very least, more variety and results.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

For me it is not just getting the Physics right so you cant put a K/P on the line without consequence, or adding better Interaction animations, it is revamping the AI(not just for the OL/DL).

The AI in this game is horrible. Adding Traits isnt enough, to make players play like themselves or smarter. Players run with Tunnel Vision and dont use special moves, OL doesnt pick up defenders that right in front of them if someone is blitzing, Playcalling by CPU AI is bad and they dont adjust to what is going on in the game. It isnt a bad game, but it isnt a simulation football game that everyone wants. It feels scripted at times.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #40
Banned

Maelstrom's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomario
No offense, but why go through all this trouble breaking down the ´12 version instead of waiting a couple weeks and doing it for ´13 ?
The blocking animations have always been jacked-up in Madden & NCAA. You get sucked into the blocker like metal to a magnet.

It is essentially the same in NCAA 13, so I am sure it will be the same in Madden 13.

That's why he is mentioning it.

Someone else said it & I second it, EA should hire this guy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »