Home

Tips for wrapping my head around this "BallHawking" system...

This is a discussion on Tips for wrapping my head around this "BallHawking" system... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Tips for wrapping my head around this "BallHawking" system...

Just wondering what the impressions were on the inclusion of this new pass defense control scheme.

I for one haven't really gotten it figured out, as whenever I hold Y my guy doesn't even put his hands up, so maybe I need to hold and release like those spectacular catch animations in the older versions?

My big gripe is that for someone who likes to move around the secondary on defense and then stick with 1 player throughout a play, it seems nearly impossible to make an entirely user pick because whenever I try to jump a route and simply tap 'A', I again don't make a move at the ball over half the time.

Does anyone have this figured out in a more detailed control layout than the excuse for a manual they threw on the disc?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Tips for wrapping my head around this "BallHawking" system...

The way it works in NCAA (I haven't played Madden, but I would imagine it's the same), is that you move your man in position to intercept, hold Y/Triangle and the player will go after the ball at his highest point. I've been holding it all the way through the catch animation.

My only guess as to why it isn't working for you is that you're not in the proper position to make a play. It has worked pretty well for me, but I only use it when I know my player can make a pick. If I think there is a chance he won't be able to, I use the swat button instead.

Hope that helps

Watch me play video games
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Pro

kc10785's Arena

OVR: 6

It's been working perfect for me. When the ball is in the air click the closest person like the safety and start running towards the ball and hold Y down in the process of going to the ball
"For me, winning isn't something that happens suddenly on the field when the whistle blows and the crowds roar. Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you train and every night that you dream." -Emmitt Smith
Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I get the switching and holding Y part, but I don't get how you're supposed to stay player-locked on a crossing route and jump the pass.

Do you still just tap Y when the ball comes to you if you're in position? Because that hadn't been working for me, and it didn't even look like he went for a catch a majority of the time. Do I hold Y the entire time I feel like he could throw the ball and hope it doesn't take me out of position?

I feel like this feature is gonna be really frustrating for guys who are used to ballhawking by themselves to start with...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

It works too effectively for me. Every deep ball I use it on seems to be an INT for me. I have to try and tell myself not to use it!

I think though it's only really for deep passes. On a short pass, you just dont have time to react and start holding it. Plus for a quick short pass your player isn't going to have time to move into the right position he needs. A deep ball though he has all the time in the world and that's when I find it very effective.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

OVR: 8

It's really easy, never just tap the "Y" button, regardless of where you are on the field. Whenever you switch to the defender, manually move towards the marker of where the ball is going to land, as you're moving towards it, hold "Y" the entire time until your player makes a play on the ball.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc10785
It's been working perfect for me. When the ball is in the air click the closest person like the safety and start running towards the ball and hold Y down in the process of going to the ball
This is why this feature should be removed from online games and optional in franchises as its like a "handicap" for someone without stick skill!

No wonder why people have been picking me off lately online and it looks exactly like super LBs animations all over again. This needs to be removed, if you need it to play madden online then what fun is it having the CPU do it all for you?

I dont like this at all, sorry fellas.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
This is why this feature should be removed from online games and optional in franchises as its like a "handicap" for someone without stick skill!

No wonder why people have been picking me off lately online and it looks exactly like super LBs animations all over again. This needs to be removed, if you need it to play madden online then what fun is it having the CPU do it all for you?

I dont like this at all, sorry fellas.
It's not necessarily for people without stick skills. You still have to get into position to make a pick. Does it make getting a "user-pick" easier? Yes, but you still have to have SOME stick skills. IMO, it levels the playing field some because, honestly, should Madden be all about stick skills or about strategically calling the right plays too? This, to me, kinda levels the playing field with those users that can compensate for bad play calling by flying all over the field and making plays with those users that actual call decent plays but don't really have the the stick skills to do all of that stuff. I mean you can still fly all over the field, as evident by the guy I was playing online last night lol, but at least now the non-stick skill guys can make plays if you make bone-head passes and stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »