Home

Eyes Glued to Twitter - The Fate of Player Editing Hangs in the Balance

This is a discussion on Eyes Glued to Twitter - The Fate of Player Editing Hangs in the Balance within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Eyes Glued to Twitter - The Fate of Player Editing Hangs in the Balance

Patching in player editing isn't going to break ccm, but it could make it a lot easier to cheat the ccm structure. As it stands, allowing for player editing would be fairly easy to code and test for.

All these other games you people keep bringing up have nothing to do with madden. When complex games are coded they take on a totally unique identity. There is literally no other game in existence "like" madden 13. Hell, even though there is some borrowed code from madden 12, it's still nowhere near the same.

The bottom line here is whether EA wants to give its customers what they want, or if they want to continue a more draconian design direction. personally for me, I think it's imperative to have the ability to change a guy's position. For example, what if you have a stud CB that is getting older? Want to convert him to FS? Well, you can't. Even though it happens in the real NFL, you can't in the game.

Looman, you like to talk about breaking that immersion factor, well that breaks the immersion factor for me and a lot of other people. My hope is that you do more than consider adding player editing as it is counter-intuitive to your stated design goal to not have it in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
With full customization like 12, you could go through and change whatever you wanted. They should be able to come to a compromise. If full editing causes adverse effects, it can't be any worse than it currently is and if it doe create an issue, let the user know ahead of time what editing may effect and let them decide from there. Even if they have to make progression automated it would still accomplish what everyone wants. I would rather deal with issues I can fix, then to wait months for a patch.
It wouldn't accomplish what everyone wants if progression has to be automated tho. I bought the game based heavily on the dynamism, and immersion of CCM. I didn't feel connected to franchise modes when I had no control over the development of players, but had to rely on an arbitrary potential grade.

And companies normally don't release a patch and say "these are the potential problems with this patch." You normally have to rely on community input for that. But since the patches are mandatory to connect to the 'net when you play the game, I'll have to download it when my buddies and I start an online CCM.

The real compromise would be to leave the infrastructure of the mode alone, and only make hard-code changes within a dev cycle, not patch in edits. But that would be extremely unpopular for the folks who paid money for the game, and want to be able to edit their players.

EA could even pull a "you already knew about this" card tho. The info was out there that edits were out, there was even a discussion here on OS about the closed nature of CCM. But if they can patch in edits, I guess they have to, to keep their consumers happy. I'm not opposed to editing, cause it's your game to do what you want. I'm just nervous about patches, because in the past half decade, we have countless examples of a well-intended patch fixes causing more issues than the original issue(s) itself.

I understood what I bought when I got Madden 13, I'm cool with it, if they can patch it...fine, no problem. Just don't rob the happy CCM players for the sake of the unhappy ones. Automated progression "if they have to" as a preventative measure to messing up the mode? That doesn't work at all.

And it would be easy to say I'm over reacting, but with the number of issues that patches have caused in recent history...you have to understand why I don't even wanna take the chance just to have the ability to edit players in a game that was stated to not have player editing weeks ago.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #27
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

By many accounts, offline CCM is broken. By many accounts, folks want the old franchise back. By many accounts, the attempt to have one code that universally makes each mode work/not work the same is a mess and seems to be a mistruth. It looks like fixing the game will essentially have to revert to old franchise offline mode (and CCM/xp turned off), CCM online will work the best CCM can work at all and we're right back where we were last year with three separate modes (play now, offline, online all still play differently) and basically the overall updates being the infinity engine, pass trajectories and CCM/xp system for online careers only. I'm just not sure this comes to be, though because it would prove the moves to this year's dev. design was too much, too soon and generally the wrong decision. I don't think they want to admit any of that. Still, if this dev. team wants to stand out from the pack of others, they will indeed admit this and patch it according to what seemingly the majority want. It's going to be interesting. Already interesting is not one article speaking of the game's flaws. It's only listed in forums, and this one is leading the charge.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth
Already interesting is not one article speaking of the game's flaws. It's only listed in forums, and this one is leading the charge.
That gives the indication that the sentiment echoed on this forum is not the sentiment of the masses. CCM has been praised by every single review that I have seen. This forum is a very very small sample size of the Madden consumer. Even other sporting games forums are talking about how good the CCM mode is and how much it is preferred over the past franchise mode.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
And what if editing ratings caused CCM to freeze for everyone before year two and they couldn't figure out how to stop it? Wouldn't that be worse than it currently is no matter how bad you think it is. And automated progression would return franchise mode to that same old stale I know exactly what is going to happen in year two of my franchise.

I understand your feelings about editing as someone that played 2k5 up until thes year and completly edited rosters, but I also know that updating rosters and editing players caused the game to crash in between seasons. It was like flipping a coin to know if you were going to get one year in and have a dead franchise after updating rosters.
Then let the user decide to take that chance. You knew well before hand what editing would do to your game. Whatever issue editing can cause, I'm certain they already know. They should be able to fix it's issues. If not they should be able to add it and let the user decide if they want to use it with or without detriment.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #30
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
Then let the user decide to take that chance. You knew well before hand what editing would do to your game. Whatever issue editing can cause, I'm certain they already know. They should be able to fix it's issues. If not they should be able to add it and let the user decide if they want to use it with or without detriment.
Couldn't it be just as fair to say that you had ample opportunity to find out if editing was in the game or not? It's not like they hid it, misled you, and then got your money. That info was out there weeks ago..

It seems like the inability to edit players is more buyers' remorse than anything else. There was even a thread on OS about the closed nature of CCM.

If you didn't read about it, and didn't find out until after the fact...how is that EA's fault exactly? No editing was not a secret.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #31
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I just wonder if there's a reasonable compromise somewhere, like for example if the mechanism for editing rosters was done on the website only, then less may need to be changed in a title update, just the ability to retrieve a custom roster and select it.

The existence of a roster and a CCM roster seems to indicate things are much more complex than many would probably expect.

Just just tweeted again:

https://twitter.com/Josh_Looman/stat...51649906745346

Quote:
Trust me, we're looking into it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
That gives the indication that the sentiment echoed on this forum is not the sentiment of the masses. CCM has been praised by every single review that I have seen. This forum is a very very small sample size of the Madden consumer. Even other sporting games forums are talking about how good the CCM mode is and how much it is preferred over the past franchise mode.

You've got it backwards and quite frankly, wrong. Typically the reviewing populace is the extreme minority. This is fairly obvious to anyone paying any attention at all.

forums can still be in the minority but things like twitter and facebook are most definitely not examples of the minority. If you have any inclination to the truth at all, you'd notice and admit that a majority of people playing this game miss the ability to edit players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »