Home

Infinity Engine Ruining Running Game?

This is a discussion on Infinity Engine Ruining Running Game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Infinity Engine Ruining Running Game?

"I am expecting a fully functional game, that out classes past generation games SEVEN years into a generation, if you expect anything less you simply value your money less than I do.

Talk about the yearly cycle all you want, but they had seven yearly cycles and we are stuck with the same legacy issues we've had since 2006. With more promises of it will be fixed soon.

Personally I'm kinda sick of it."

I agree with you to a point but not entirely and here is why:
One has to accept the fact that we are dealing with a Corporation, and one of the largest if not the largest in the gaming world. (NOTICE I didnt say you had to buy their product)
In dealing with this entity we have seen alot of change over the seven years you speak about. Change in Personnel mainly. People who actually have a hand in crafting and making decisions as to what the final build ends up looking and playing like. With that amount of change taking place I feel its unrealistic to expect consistency...and thats what has been lacking-consistency. Now, Im not excusing this or saying you should give them a pass, I just think that this is the situation and that being the case, everyones expectations will vary and either be met or not met...
The other aspect that has helped create this problem is the amount of "listening to" or "catering to" the fanbase, or perceived fan base. This in my opinion has had disasterous results. I am in no way saying that a business shouldn't cater to, or listen to its customers, however there has to be clearly defined goals for what the product is supposed to be and who its supposed to be aimed at, or its market.
This is an area where I think there has been some good, and some bad but overall there has been a lack of a consistent direction or BALANCE for keeping the consumer happy.
As far as Im concerned from the word go, EA should be making a game that BEST emulates the Speed, Power, Impact and Emotion of the NFL game, and then let users "DUMB it down" using sliders/options to their liking.
Create the best possible resemblance that appeals to the most hardcore and then give the casual fan options to NERF whatever they want to make it their own. Only then can they truly hit all of the different kinds of fans that play the game.

Last edited by CigarCityBandit; 08-31-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Poor choice of words
Old 08-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #34
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc10785
Here's a hint stop running like it's Madden 12.

I'm not trying to be a smart *** with that comment but I think people need to change there approach to this new system. You can't just hit the hole like a bat out of hell and think your going to do good. When running between the tackle it's a must you be patient because your not just avoiding the defense but you can't run up the backs of your lead blocker. I don't have trouble running I average 125 yards rushing a game online.
Except that it is designed to be used just as it always has been used. How do I know this? Watch how the CPU running backs run with ball. They make the exact same slow juke side-step behind the LOS and end up getting TFL. If you aren't supposed to use Right Stick to cut into holes, then why is the CPU trying to do it? It's not good enough to essentially adapt to the broken system and claim that we're "doing it wrong".

The bottom line is that it could use some tuning; I suspect that when they added in IE and tried to implement some basic "physics" and foot-planting, etc., they affected the juke animations. I feel like the gliding issues that plagued the series for years inadvertently helped make the juke moves more fluid.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
Banned

Ok here is what I was mentioning earlier where I ran up the back of my
O Line and continued on...

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/133745137
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarCityBandit
Ok here is what I was mentioning earlier where I ran up the back of my
O Line and continued on...

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/133745137
Thanks for posting. I was curious what Very Fast would look like, but it actually looked good. I may give your settings a try just to see (I was playing on Slow before and couldn't fathom using Fast or Very Fast).
Old 08-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #37
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders81tim
I am expecting a fully functional game, that out classes past generation games SEVEN years into a generation, if you expect anything less you simply value your money less than I do.

Talk about the yearly cycle all you want, but they had seven yearly cycles and we are stuck with the same legacy issues we've had since 2006. With more promises of it will be fixed soon.

Personally I'm kinda sick of it.
I'm assuming your talking about NFL 2K5, the only things I can pull from 2K5 is better halftime/postgame/weekly shows and the line interactions are better.

It's not an issue of value of money, I'm going to college and working a part time job, money is at a premium, I sold back Madden 12 and NCAA 12 last year because I didn't like either, I know the difference between enjoying myself and a feigned reality. Considering I put at least 20 hours into the game already (approx) that comes out to $3 an hour and that number is going to grow smaller and smaller, it's a game I am fully enjoying.

Again pessimism is going to kill the industry, being an objective buyer isn't an issue, if you don't like the game it's alright, you can play NFL 2K5 if you rather, it's not an issue it's a matter of taste, video games at the heart of it all is an art, not everyone will be happy, I'll agree we value things differently but it's definitely not money.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #38
Banned

Yeah try those settings for a couple series at least and then go into the highlight creator and watch some good plays and hits from the Endzone/Reverse Endzone and Sideline and Reverse Sideline cameras and on those settings it looks SICK!!
Even if you dont keep those settings give it a watch.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #39
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarCityBandit
"I am expecting a fully functional game, that out classes past generation games SEVEN years into a generation, if you expect anything less you simply value your money less than I do.

Personally I'm kinda sick of it."

I agree with you to a point but not entirely and here is why:
One has to accept the fact that we are dealing with a Corporation, and one of the largest if not the largest in the gaming world. (NOTICE I didnt say you had to buy their product)
In dealing with this entity we have seen alot of change over the seven years you speak about. Change in Personnel mainly. People who actually have a hand in crafting and making decisions as to what the final build ends up looking and playing like. With that amount of change taking place I feel its unrealistic to expect consistency...and thats what has been lacking-consistency. Now, Im not excusing this or saying you should give them a pass, I just think that this is the situation and that being the case, everyones expectations will vary and either be met or not met...
The other aspect that has helped create this problem is the amount of "listening to" or "catering to" the fanbase, or perceived fan base. This in my opinion has had disasterous results. I am in no way saying that a business shouldn't cater to, or listen to its customers, however there has to be clearly defined goals for what the product is supposed to be and who its supposed to be aimed at, or its market.
This is an area where I think there has been some good, and some bad but overall there has been a lack of a consistent direction or BALANCE for keeping the consumer happy.
As far as Im concerned from the word go, EA should be making a game that BEST emulates the Speed, Power, Impact and Emotion of the NFL game, and then let users "DUMB it down" using sliders/options to their liking.
Create the best possible resemblance that appeals to the most hardcore and then give the casual fan options to NERF whatever they want to make it their own. Only then can they truly hit all of the different kinds of fans that play the game.
I really agree with the last statement, they intentionally hinder games to make them more approachable to the casual gamer, trust me most people know how to change a difficulty level, it happens in almost every EA game, 2K does have that model right.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #40
Banned

Check out this one!

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/133734966

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »