Home

Brainstorming progresstion....

This is a discussion on Brainstorming progresstion.... within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Brainstorming progresstion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2th3m1th
not if you have good auto sub sliders and the fatigue up to 55. My backups got ample amount of XP that I could bump their awareness up, thus getting them a bump in OVR by the end of the season. Being a backup you shouldn't improve a ton, that should come with on field play
On field play does not do enough repetition to improve physical attributes, and is insufficient by itself to improve mental attributes. I've played sports all my life. You get better by repetition. You get repetition in practice. You do better on the field because you got better in practice. As I outlined in my post, on the field play is awesome for nailing down mental aspects of the game and consistency/confidence type attributes. If what you said was true, we would have scrimmaged all practice every practice and magically got better. Its just not true.

So I have to play unrealistically to get realistic progression? I'm sorry, thats just not good enough. Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck. These are the type of players that are impossible right now because after the draft they are frozen on their ratings unless you play them over the player that is 10+ overall points higher then they are when they were rookies. You can't seriously tell me that that is realistic.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I understand the premise for players learning behind other players but feel like a HC09 system, using position coaches and playbook knowledge is a better way to go. Until they get that implemented I think just using the developmental rating as a gauge for base XP awarding for bench players would suffice. Meaning, just have a base range of XP that bench players get just for being on a team, according to their developmental rating, which I think rates how well they fit the scheme. This will solve the issue of bench players not getting enough XP and encourage position depth that fits your scheme.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by R9NALD9
So this past weekend I thought about how EA could improve the current progression system.

I'm not happy that players who don't get any time on the field, don't progress at all...it's unrealistic to say the least. So I came up with an idea, not perfect, but what do you guys think.

I would keep the system as is, except fot this:

Every player would give another rating of 0 to 5 stars...similar to what they have now under their traits. This rating would be "Mentor"...let's be honest, players like Ray Lewis etc. are very valuable to their teams, not only for their excellent play on the field, but to what they provide off the field to fellow players.

Every player entering the league starts of with 0 stars since a rookie can't be a mentor. Once certain criteria is met relevant to the players position, for instance when a WR gets 20 TD receptions his mentor abitlity increases to 1 star etc. all they way till the player reaches 5 stars. 5 Stars shouldn't be easy to obtain though.

The reason for this mentor rating is the following.

Depending on the amount of stars (0 to 5) the percentage of the XP the mentor player obtained are given to each player of the same position. For instance...Ray Lewis is a 5 star Mentor and plays a game...he get 2000 XP for the game and let's say for instance a 5 star rating means 40% of XP then Ray Lewis will get 2000 XP for that game, and every other MLB on the Ravens will get 800 XP.

The percentages and amounts can be tweaked to perfection, but the basic concept will mean that you can draft that rookie behind Brady and develop for a couple of years till Brady retires. It will mean you don't have to try to force the ball to your WR rookie the whole time just because you want him to develop into a star. Also it would give guys like Chad Johnson, Terrel Owens added value and would mean you won't simply dish your RB because he is 29 and you expect him to drop off soon. The older a player gets he still ads value to your team.

What do you guys think?
I had a similar thought but without the "mentor" rating. More or less you could use the XP earned by one of your players on another player at the same position. There would be a penalty tax for doing this which EA would have to tune. The end result would be when you have players like a Rodgers, Brady, Brees ect... in which they earn a huge amount of unnecessary XP you could then use it to progress their backups at say a 50% penalty (would have to be tweaked).

A couple issues you would possibly run into-

1. There would be less strategy involved in finding a replacement QB in the above instance using this method due to the fact that when one of your superstars retires you would have a franchise ready player to step up and take his place. This may not bother some but it would take away one of the fun factors.

2. I believe EA is going to integrate OC's and DC's in future Maddens which would then add another avenue for gathering XP making the above method/ mentor method overkill in terms of progressing players.

A possible solution that would also make progression more interesting would be implementing a Tech Tree- where as you can't just purchase every single XP enhancer as a HC. You would be limited to the upgrades in your specific branch. So if you purchased a QB XP multiplier as a coach you would not be able to buy those packages for any other offensive position. This would make force users to "mold" their coach into a certain style and certain strengths that would go hand in hand with the scheme system. Each coach would specialize in a certain area of the team.

There would obviously have to be parameters set up for this but each HC, OC, and DC would all specialize in a certain area as in real life. Each team and user would become more unique instead of after six seasons we all have the MAX XP BOOSTS for every position on the team. This type of system would also make a "mentor" style attribute a more feasible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Pro

I think that merely making practice a larger percentage of the overall gains in XP would suffice myself short term. I didn't like the pre-determined feeling from the previous potential system, and I like how development rating throttles growth. I just think that basing it purely on results as the baseline is unrealistic. It should be based on practice, playing time, intelligence, coaching. More like Head coach.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Rookie

skachase's Arena

OVR: 0

They need to add assistant and positional coaches, some of whom are much better than others but also more expensive. Imagine a coaching pool not entirely dissimilar to the current free-agency system.

A great RB coach could push forward the development of a young RB, while an average (and cheaper) RB coach may be of little value for the young players. You could spend your limited team funds on average coaches at all positions or break the bank for a guy who will progress your young QB's even if that means you can no longer afford a LB coach and that position suffers.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

yep. assistant coaches is a must for next year. I love how they did it in HC 09, Id expect something similar for "coach" mode in ccm 14
Old 09-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 4

I don't like much about this XP stuff though and was reluctant about it when hearing about it. It turned out to be even worse than I thought with the players having to play to get any significant XP.

They definitely need to bring back assistance coaches at least to the format they had it before in Franchise. That can help with backups gaining some type of progression without being forced to sub them in. If I have a two back system I shouldn't be forced to put the third one in or sub in my QB to get XP. It's a bad set up right now.

Along with bringing back asst. coaches they can simply have both individual drills and a free-form practice (because I don't have time to play a full 4 qtr practice) gain you XP for your players.

Last edited by Jimi XIII; 09-03-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »