Home

Cpu Run Defense Logic is Terrible

This is a discussion on Cpu Run Defense Logic is Terrible within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Cpu Run Defense Logic is Terrible

The cpu AI in terms of defending the run is lousy. I started playing a Play Now game with the Titans against the Titans (wanted to see how balanced it would play). Once the second quarter started I exploded with CJ2K but in a way I'm not happy about. I will admit I abused the AI to see if they would adjust but ended up running for over 300 yards against them largely because they weren't lined up correctly.

The cpu will not adjust their front 7 to account for the strong side of the field. Nor do they appear to consider the wide side of the field or the speed of the RB because the run defenses they called against me were terrible. By running a double TE set with both TEs on the same side the cpu refused to shift. In fact, I have never seen them slide their LBs or DL over to help in the running game or counteract a strong formation. Take a look at how they line up against CJ in a two TE set. The 18 stretch play where CJ just takes the ball on a sprint outside devastated them all game long.

Why are 4 defenders lined up on the weak side of the field (with all four left of the LG) vs. only 3 on the strong side? How the heck are they supposed to defend this running play to the outside?

After abusing the cpu on All-Pro I tried it out on All-Madden. Same thing. On 3rd and 1 I bring out 3 TEs to the strong side and this is how the cpu tries to defend it. It's ridiculous! It's a complete mismatch on the strong side.

I guess any time I run an unbalanced formation it's a money play in the running game. That's crazy. EA needs to patch in some logic here. I shouldn't feel like a cheeser running some pretty basic formations and plays.

EDIT - I think the AI is stacking against the run but on the wrong side. All of the pics would show the AI trying to defend it but the logic is backwards. They need to flip it to get it right. If you flipped the DL in those images it would probably be correct. This could be an easy fix.

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 09-03-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Cpu Run Defense Logic is Terrible

try I Form Tackle Over from 49ers playbook. then substitute RT2 for TE1, LT2 to TE2 (weak side) and TE1 for WR. then use strong toss play. the cpu didnt realise in 12 i havent tried 13 yet ...
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Cpu Run Defense Logic is Terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
try I Form Tackle Over from 49ers playbook. then substitute RT2 for TE1, LT2 to TE2 (weak side) and TE1 for WR. then use strong toss play. the cpu didnt realise in 12 i havent tried 13 yet ...
You don't have to try any funny business to take advantage though. You just pick a basic formation and play, one that will pop up in "Ask Madden" and you will see this. I'm not trying to trick the cpu here. I'm just running a very basic football formation and play and they are lining up worse than a Pop Warner team.

EIDT - I think EA simply has the logic backwards here. It looks like EA overloads the weak side by accident instead of the strong side. If you flip the lineman in the images above it would probably look good.

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 09-03-2012 at 09:36 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »