Home

Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something

This is a discussion on Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 38
Re: Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
YES! I thought I was the only one. I actually LOVED the vision cone, even though J.P. Losman's was more like a very thin vision laser beam.
YESS more people like me... It was the only Madden that I cared about my qbs awareness.

I don't feel your pain on small vision cones.... Brett Farve was a stud and could see half the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I like the idea OP, especially the part about each QB only being able to see/know so much of the playart but I think that should be a playbook knowledge rating, like in HC09. I wouldn't want the playbook to be limited but to actually have the playbook art be based on what the QB "thinks" the routes are. So a low PB knowledge QB could see an actual comeback route as a streak and if the User controlled QB throws at that receiver, they would be throwing a streak but the receiver would be running a comeback. This could also apply to receivers with low PB knowledge as well, with them running the wrong route. Heck, this could apply to every position on the field like in HC09 but the OP's idea could be the way to implement it into actual Madden game play.

All that said, to make AWR matter for QBs all the time, even under User control, I would just like to see it be a passing accuracy modifier according to pressure. So a high AWR QB, like Brady, wouldn't suffer much if any accuracy hit with the defense bearing down on him but a low AWR QB's pass accuracy would get worse the closer defenders are to him. Should also apply to pressure situations like 2 minute drills, 3rd and longs, crucial 4th downs and excessive crowd noise. I especially stress the excessive crowd noise because the less AWR QBs should play worse on the road and using the crowd noise to effect their accuracy, according to their AWR is a good way to represent that, imo.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #27
MVP

fatleg3's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitreya
Love this idea OP. Love the vision cone too.

To add on to your idea though, the CPU needs to have the ability to take advantage of a QB who only knows a fraction of the plays. The CPU should pick up on the trends in playcalling (what types of plays, what are most likely) and make you pay for only using a limited set of plays.

Great work.
I agree as this is realistic but at the same time, this would be tricky for EA to put into the game.

There is already to many people complaining about physic DB's. But my reply to that is how many times irl do you see an elite DB running the WR route for him? Alot.

Well just imaging how much complaining we would see if the CPU would be able to pick up on play calling trends and runs the perfect plays to stop what you are doing?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #28
Rookie

Othgar's Arena

OVR: 0

I like this. The problem with EA is assuming they will make something "optional". Like not being able to edit rosters in CC this year. I think something this game changing would need to be optional but I definitely like the idea.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkontheOS
YESS more people like me... It was the only Madden that I cared about my qbs awareness.

I don't feel your pain on small vision cones.... Brett Farve was a stud and could see half the field.
Loved the vision cone as well. I dominated online that year. How I miss those madden games, the modern ones by comparison are cheap imitations.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 6

My idea would make it as realistic as possible. When you are actually playing football and call a pass play you always have a #1 target that you are looking for before anybody else. Right now when we call a pass play you have 5 targets from the begginning which is unrealistic.

What they should do is at the start of a passing play the only possible reciever you can throw it to should be that #1 target. Everybody else has no button and nothing will happen when you press those buttons. QB's with high awarness should be able to unlock those recievers much faster than a low awarness guy. So Peyton Manning should actually have the opportunity to pass to that #5 guy if he has decent protection. He is able to read his keys and his checkdown guys should appear much faster than a rookie with low awarness. The low Awarness guy should unlock the other recievers much slower and in the same time it takes Manning to read all his target the low awarness guy can only unlock 2-3 targets.

They should have a base awarness rating which at the maximum be around an 80. This is for the elite and quick learning players who can pick up a new playbook fast. After each season they should incread their awarness 4-5 points which accounts for the familiarity with their system. So Peyton Manning with the Colts would have 99 Awarness because he had been in the system for so long. But now that he is with the Broncos it should go down to 80 because it is a new system. He is a quick learner but he hasn't mastered their playbook yet.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #31
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Currently the EA QB AWR rating affects the CPU D...

The lower your QBs rating, the better the D plays...

Tighter coverage / reaction / AWR / etc.

It's subtle, but it's there...

That being said, OPs idea sounds great...could make for a much more interesting approach to progression in general...

Much more intriguing than the current point system...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 49

QB awareness could effect:

-playbook choices
-option to see play art, or just some of the play art vs the entire full play art during presnap
-no hot routes vs one or multiple hot routes.
-Read defenses play art once every so often(after every 5 in a row complete passes,etc...something like apf 2k8)

Awareness could be tied to a lot of features, but EA has never cared to make 80%+ of the ratings even matter.

Look at penalty sliders....moving them one click makes them go from never called, to called 25 times a game. It's a head scratcher IMO.

Last edited by wheelman990; 09-05-2012 at 02:39 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »