Home

Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something

This is a discussion on Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #41
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something

You've heard of the game slowing down for some QBs. Make that the case with QB awareness. Combine that with being able to steal a defense's play at times. Separate the elite QBs in the league by more than just throwing power and accuracy.

And conversely, speed up the game or do something else to confuse the player controlling a QB with low awareness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #42
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
Currently the EA QB AWR rating affects the CPU D...

The lower your QBs rating, the better the D plays...

Tighter coverage / reaction / AWR / etc.

It's subtle, but it's there...

That being said, OPs idea sounds great...could make for a much more interesting approach to progression in general...

Much more intriguing than the current point system...
Wanted to quote this because I played a game online last night against the Broncos and Payton Manning, where this seemed to be the case. Now I despise losing so I hope this was not just a placebo effect but I went back to look at highlights at the end of the game and watched on numerous occasions a DB just seem to "freeze" at certain times, on balls they normally make plays on. Immediately thought of this post and was wondering was this just because it was P. Manning.

I hope this is not the case but I can imagine it probably is and I completely disagree with it. I just wish the would program the game as realistic as possible and let the rest fall into place. Playbook knowledge, hot route/audible capability, AWR effecting pass accuracy under pressure, etc, are all things that realistically effect the QB, not the defense. There just seems to be too many programming "tricks" or shortcuts that effect other things in an unrealistic manner.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #43
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Wanted to quote this because I played a game online last night against the Broncos and Payton Manning, where this seemed to be the case. Now I despise losing so I hope this was not just a placebo effect but I went back to look at highlights at the end of the game and watched on numerous occasions a DB just seem to "freeze" at certain times, on balls they normally make plays on. Immediately thought of this post and was wondering was this just because it was P. Manning.
It's interesting what you see in these games once you start to look for it...

The easiest analogy is "passing lanes" in basketball...

Higher AWR QB = more open lanes, more often, bigger windows

Lower AWRQB= less, less, smaller, etc.

It's a pretty "underbaked" system, but at least it separates the QBs somehow...

Guys mistakenly believe that the AWR of a controlled player is overridden by USER control and that's not the case...

It determines how the CPU "defends" you...even more subtle, but still in evidence are the "running lanes" for a High AWR HB v. a low one...

That being said, I think OP has the core concept of a revamped progression system that would be based in training and practice time, as opposed to just time on the field / production...
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 10

I miss The vision cone so much. It really added another layer of realism to the game.

I like the op's idea about the playbooks but i also want to see awr affecting the reads the cpu is making. Vision cone did a great job simulating that i wish they would bring it back as an option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »