Home

Draft Day Trade Help

This is a discussion on Draft Day Trade Help within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Draft Day Trade Help

You should always have the option to offer trades to the computer, especially if you're trying to trade down.

It's just not realistic that the team wouldn't be able to shop their pick.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Pro

hurricanefootball4's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat
It wasn't overlooked. It was left out intentionally. If there are no teams that have a glaring need or really really want the player projected to go first they won't trade up to get it. They are more willing often to trade down then to trade up. In the past madden has allowed too much draft trading imo and this one gets it right.
They should have changed the CPU logic then instead of removing it completely. As it stands right now I can't offer up my first round pick for a backup fullback - and every team in the league would take that offer.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefootball4
You should always have the option to offer trades to the computer, especially if you're trying to trade down.

This is exactly what I was thinking. There may not be any teams that are so interested they want to make me an offer to trade up, but they wouldn't ignore me if I offered a trade, they'd consider it. As it stands the game doesn't give any option to send an offer.

I went through the entire draft and at every one of my picks I looked to see if I even had the option to try and trade down, not once did it allow me to try. I'm annoyed about this, I enjoy the GM aspects of football and I'm prevented from doing many GM parts of the job. One of the biggest ones is the wheeling and dealing aspect on draft day. Trying to make the most efficient use of my picks while still making sure to get the guys I want.

Thanks for the info from the posters that said the option is only available when the computer wants to trade, just a little frustrated about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefootball4

Is there always interest in teams trading up? Sometimes, even when you want to move down, the phone doesn't ring and noone answers the phone. Sorry, its realistic.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Is there always interest in teams trading up? Sometimes, even when you want to move down, the phone doesn't ring and noone answers the phone. Sorry, its realistic.
The point is that if I had offered the 1st overall and my 7th round pick for a late first, most teams would take it. But I can't even offer it. In my original post I wasn't upset that nobody had offered me the option to trade down, I was upset that I couldn't offer anyone else anything. I like that the trade logic is finally more reasonable, but not being able to make any attempt to trade is unrealistic.

A real GM isn't going to ignore phone calls just because he's comfortable with his picking spot. Take the Browns in the 2011 draft, they openly have said they were very interested in Julio Jones. But the Falcons offered them a huge deal that they couldn't pass up.

Now I wasn't expecting a deal like the WAS-STL trade this year for my 1st overall spot, I was hoping to get a 2nd or 3rd to fall back 8-9 spots. That's a bargain deal in real life, but I couldn't even attempt to offer it in Madden. If I had the ability to make the offer and teams were declining and gave the reason that they were more interested in acquiring more picks because they were looking to provide depth then I would've had no reason to start this thread. This thread is about why the option to trade down isn't always available considering the various reasons one could be trying to trade down.

- Salary cap concerns
- No players desired
- acquiring picks for rebuilding

A team with any of those reasons would likely take a deal that benefited the other team more.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 2

Yet many teams even this year failed to be able to trade out of their pick. I just prefer this to what was last years game in this area. It was far too easy to get 10 picks in the first 4 rounds.

I mean, the teams below you may well be in the same boat as you and not able to take on the actual cap space to sign the higher rated player you get at a better pick position. Maybe they see noone worth picking at the top of the round. They had three top first round picks and all three were picked. I see so many reasons why a team couldn't trade down. It happened this year to at least two teams who wanted to trade down.

Last edited by steamboat; 09-05-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Yet many teams even this year failed to be able to trade out of their pick. I just prefer this to what was last years game in this area. It was far too easy to get 10 picks in the first 4 rounds.

I mean, the teams below you may well be in the same boat as you and not able to take on the actual cap space to sign the higher rated player you get at a better pick position. Maybe they see noone worth picking at the top of the round. They had three top first round picks and all three were picked. I see so many reasons why a team couldn't trade down. It happened this year to at least two teams who wanted to trade down.
I understand what you're saying, but the point I've been pushing is why can't I even attempt anything? I couldn't offer my pick for a player. I looked for the option to trade down on every single one of my picks and it never once came up. So there was absolutely no team that wanted to move up to the 1st, 33rd, 65th, 97th, etc. picks?

Not one team at any point wanted to move up maybe one or two spots to get the 65th pick? This is what I'm stressing, there should always be the ability to attempt to make a deal, I can understand if it was just the top pick, but 6 more times nobody out of 31 other teams ever wanted to move up to grab a player? And the ability to trade talk when it's not my pick wasn't available. Trades aren't decided in 90 seconds, they're talked about for several picks before hand at the least.

Again, I'm not saying the trade logic is unrealistic. I like the trade logic, it prevents stupid trades from going on, but my draft experience was extremely stagnant because there wasn't any attempts at trade talks at all. I feel like I'm explaining my issue as well as I can, if it's not coming across clear please let me know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Rookie

Trading before the draft is definitely the way to go.

At the very start of my dynasty I made a trade with the Rams for their 1st round pick. Jordan Parks was coming out and I wanted him as my QB of the future for the Jags. The Rams ended up sucking so I got the 1st overall pick since I had traded for their pick.

Well Parks stayed in school and pretty much crapped on my draft plans and I had nobody else I wanted to take at #1.

So before the draft I traded the #1 overall pick back to the Rams for a 2013 1st (Redskins), and two 2014 1st's (Rams and Redskins).

So I was able to trade the #1 overall pick for 3 firsts. After that I quit and re-entered to see what wouldve happened had I tried to trade through the draft. So this time I kept the #1 overall pick and started the draft to see what offers I got to trade down. I didnt get a single offer and was stuck with the first overall pick.

So basically the only way to make trades is before the draft, unless you want to just cross your fingers that you have an offer.

---------------------------------------

Another extraordinarily frustrating thing is that you cant make player trades during the draft. I can hit "trade up" and then trade my player for that one single pick, but I cant add anymore pick from the other team, or a player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »