Home

Draft Scouting Strategy

This is a discussion on Draft Scouting Strategy within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #57
Rookie

chzblck's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Draft Scouting Strategy

I don't know If I'm lucky or this is just a fluke but Scouting awareness shows you the gems of the later rounds. (found a 81 RE that fit my scheme this way) well I've found 5-6 studs that were projected 5-7 that came in 75+ they were ALL superstar development.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #58
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzblck
I don't know If I'm lucky or this is just a fluke but Scouting awareness shows you the gems of the later rounds. (found a 81 RE that fit my scheme this way) well I've found 5-6 studs that were projected 5-7 that came in 75+ they were ALL superstar development.

Anyone else experience this?
Not a fluke at all. This was posted two pages back on Page 3:

"I think I found the best strategy last night using suggestions others have mentioned. If you're going for a high OVR rating, then without a doubt Awareness is THE MOST important thing to scout. Not to mention, it's really cheap to check.

Last night I found a HB with an AWR in the 80s and was tabbed as a 7th round pick. His other attributes were in the 70s and 80s related to being a power runner as well. I scouted his OVR grade and it came as a "B" -- meaning somewhere in the 80s.

Needless to say, I didn't let him slip to the 7th round. I drafted him in the 5th round. His OVR: 85

By the time his rookie season was over he was an 88.

In that same draft I scouted AWR first for everyone and ignored anyone below a C. I prioritized the draft/players based on AWR and was able to draft 3 players with ratings in the 80s, and 4 with ratings in the 70s.

Keep in mind, this is moreso for those that sim games and act as a GM. If you're playing the games, you probably want to focus less on AWR and more on physical attributes."
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #59
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Just an FYI...the listed "cheat" posted earlier might no longer be available with an online CCM. I was curious so I checked it out. Everything under the Skills column shows up as a 0 for me

I am very happy about this!!!

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 09-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #60
Rookie

chzblck's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Not a fluke at all. This was posted two pages back on Page 3:

"I think I found the best strategy last night using suggestions others have mentioned. If you're going for a high OVR rating, then without a doubt Awareness is THE MOST important thing to scout. Not to mention, it's really cheap to check.

Last night I found a HB with an AWR in the 80s and was tabbed as a 7th round pick. His other attributes were in the 70s and 80s related to being a power runner as well. I scouted his OVR grade and it came as a "B" -- meaning somewhere in the 80s.

Needless to say, I didn't let him slip to the 7th round. I drafted him in the 5th round. His OVR: 85

By the time his rookie season was over he was an 88.

In that same draft I scouted AWR first for everyone and ignored anyone below a C. I prioritized the draft/players based on AWR and was able to draft 3 players with ratings in the 80s, and 4 with ratings in the 70s.

Keep in mind, this is moreso for those that sim games and act as a GM. If you're playing the games, you probably want to focus less on AWR and more on physical attributes."

Absolutely!! This is the go to strategy IMO but with EA upping it to 100 instead of 25 it will change things. Thanks for the response but I was looking more towards the Superstar development thing. Would you mind checking those players you "stole" in the later rounds and see what development they have?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #61
MVP

ESPNdeportes's Arena

OVR: 13
So are there any clues to find a diamond in the rough? Or do you just have to scout randomly?

PSN: raginrapids
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #62
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzblck
Absolutely!! This is the go to strategy IMO but with EA upping it to 100 instead of 25 it will change things. Thanks for the response but I was looking more towards the Superstar development thing. Would you mind checking those players you "stole" in the later rounds and see what development they have?
Last night I had the draft of a lifetime by following the same principles mentioned in previous posts I've made. The key starting point is AWR. I don't touch a guy if he isn't at least a "C" in awareness. It's 25 pts to unlock the letter grade and another 100 to unlock the exact number, yet it's the most crucial to finding a guy with a high OVR.

This is the best way to find a "gem" or a late-round diamond or whatever you want to call it.

Another key thing to remember. The CPU knows about these gems as well. Most of the guys below who I took in the 3rd - 5th rounds were projected to go 1 to 2 rounds later. In the past I tried to steal them in the projected round but the CPU ALWAYS...and I mean ALWAYS takes them within 5 picks before I'm about to. It's as if they know something is up. So I've just started taking them a round or two early, and I don't care because I know their ratings are going to be so high it's worth it.

Anyways, here's the best I've put together so far:

Rd 1 - QB (76)
Rd 2 - DT (83)
Rd 2 - RT (74)
Rd 3 - C (86)
Rd 3 - DE (82)
Rd 4 - CB (83)
Rd 5 - HB (83)
Rd 6 - CB (72)
Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #63
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Saw several people ask about new ratings and how to understand them. This was a HUGE help:

http://vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resourc...eersManual.pdf
Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 0

My strategy is:

-Scout awareness in players that fill a need.
- Find the scheme of the player
- Scout the development of the players

Every year i come away with 4 or 5 players with star development that soon develop in a high level player in 2 or 3 years.

Also these players are generally rated high in the mid 70s or low 80s even if they are a projected sixth round pick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »