Home

Draft Scouting Strategy

This is a discussion on Draft Scouting Strategy within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
MVP

oldman's Arena

OVR: 17
Draft Scouting Strategy

So the scouting for the draft is pretty in depth this year. Has anyone developed a strategy they think is good on how to scout?

The only thing I for sure do is scout what scheme they fit first. After that it's a crapshoot.

WOO PIG SOOIEE!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Pro

BearClaw's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Draft Scouting Strategy

Wait till the end of the season for the best results. By then you'll know where you need improvement, your pick, and ratings for story players will be less likely to change.

As for the actual scouting my order goes like this
-scheme
-position specific ratings
-physical ratings
-overall letter grade
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

For the guys I'm interested in i've been scouting speed agility and acceleration mainly because these stats are most expensive to build up. What I might do is start scouting intangible rating since its supposed to be a summary of the key attributes for the position.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
MVP

oldman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearClaw
Wait till the end of the season for the best results. By then you'll know where you need improvement, your pick, and ratings for story players will be less likely to change.

As for the actual scouting my order goes like this
-scheme
-position specific ratings
-physical ratings
-overall letter grade
Our strategies are similar although I'm only in week 2. Right now I'm scouting scheme of all the defensive players and making a list of who fits my scheme. Then I'll do the same for the positions I need on offense.

WOO PIG SOOIEE!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

I love the GM aspect of football so I dove into the scouting as soon as I got the chance, after the first season I figured out a decent formula for scouting.

I only scout for the letter grade on their rating to ensure I get the largest pool of candidates to work with during the season. You'll burn through too many points trying to get true number ratings, thus limiting the amount of players you'll have knowledge about. The way I see it, I'm better off having a estimate on how well that QB's throw power is with a grade A than spending another 500 points to find out it's a 94. Those 500 points could've been spent getting a few letter attributes on the next QB in case the first one is drafted. So here's my strategy:

- The first 2 weeks I scout the awareness attribute on a lot of the players at any positions I feel I'll be looking for starters or depth at. It only costs 25 points and guys with D's and F's seem to be projects as they're more likely to make mistakes on the field.

- The next week or 2 I'll spend on getting the scheme fit for players with A's, B's and C's in awareness. This narrows my list to roughly 8-10 guys that are either good fits for my team's scheme or close enough that I'd consider drafting them.

- The rest of the season is spent getting key attributes for as many players in different rounds as possible, getting injury and stamina ratings is very useful if you can. For instance, I'll scout the key attributes for 2 WR's in round 1, then 2 in round 2, 1 in round 3, 2 more in round 4. That way I'll have an idea of whether or not I should even consider that player if he's available when I'm on the board.

- The off-season points I spend getting better rating on guys that caught my attention as guys I 'd like to know if I should target. As the Browns I was looking for an interior lineman to improve my run blocking, and 2 LG's had caught my eye with high grades in run blocking. So I spent points to get more details to look for red flags that indicated they shouldn't be on my radar. I ended up getting both and now they're both starting at the guard positions for me, I got really lucky on those 2, unfortunately I lost out on a few solid defensive prospects that were drafted a full 2 rounds before their projections.

- As for draft day, my strategy fell apart quick when those defensive prospects went long before I expected. My first draft was rough thanks to that, my suggestion here is to prioritize your board. If you need the guy, draft him as soon as you can. Build your board around the premise that the other teams know at least as much as you do about the value of mid round talent. A CB that was projected to go in the late 4th round went in the mid 2nd and is a 81 OVR at the start of the season, his stats point to him being a shut down corner.

That's what I gathered after season 1, I'm currently applying this technique in season 2 of my franchise, hopefully I can get a better strategy for draft day that gets me more guys I want. Hopefully this helps a few people get a good start to their scouting formula.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
Rookie

Maizpan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj54
For the guys I'm interested in i've been scouting speed agility and acceleration mainly because these stats are most expensive to build up. What I might do is start scouting intangible rating since its supposed to be a summary of the key attributes for the position.
I'm about 5 seasons in and my strategy has been to scout physical and intangible ratings for as many players as possible and then follow it up with scheme and other ratings if they have physical and intangible ratings of at least B and B for 1st rounders. Both the physical and intangible rating is based on your scheme for that position so you usually will end up with a player that is rated highly for your scheme.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I go scheme, then position specific attributes, then I recently started splurging on development instead of 2000 on letter overall because I figure the position specific attributes will give me a good idea on overall. Maybe I should reverse that though.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
MVP

oldman's Arena

@modgson

Why do you put a lot of points into injury and stamina? Wouldn't some of the position specific attributes be better?

WOO PIG SOOIEE!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »