Home

A potential way to combat disconnects?

This is a discussion on A potential way to combat disconnects? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 3
A potential way to combat disconnects?

I'm floating this idea out there for all game developers really; it may already have been done, or is being done, I don't know.

At any rate, last week my brother's computer crapped out on him and he lost all the data on it. This prompted me to go out and buy an external drive to back up my data; something I've been meaning to do for a while.

This got me thinking, why can't games do this as well? Have a system set up that continually created save states of some sort for online games being played. Get a disconnect at a key moment in your league? All is well, just reconnect and start back up at the last save state.

I don't know enough about the technology of online gaming to know if such a thing would be possible at this point in time. If it's not I have to think that we're at least not too far off from it being possible.

I know for myself the few forays I've had into online gaming have been riddled with connectivity issues, so a system like this might help make online gaming more reliable, and thus more appealing as well.

Just a thought I had.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
MVP

prey2god's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A potential way to combat disconnects?

Upgrade the server. Make it dedicated.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prey2god
Upgrade the server. Make it dedicated.
Disconnects can come from the user's end as well.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
MVP

prey2god's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Disconnects can come from the user's end as well.
It can, but I am an IT consultant and this is what I do for a living. I tested everything. Even power cycled my router and modem when I got disconnected, tested the connection online on other games and those work fine.

It's a server issue. Might have bugs they need to patch up on their side or upgrade the server entirely which I think is way too late at this point imo for that.

Patch will be issued soon for the server stability, I could almost guarantee that.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Banned

pajcbanned's Arena

OVR: 10

I haven't had one issue with online play. no disconnects. Whenever someone complains about lag or disconnects it's 99.9 percent the user.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Rookie

aspengc8's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prey2god
It can, but I am an IT consultant and this is what I do for a living. I tested everything. Even power cycled my router and modem when I got disconnected, tested the connection online on other games and those work fine.

It's a server issue. Might have bugs they need to patch up on their side or upgrade the server entirely which I think is way too late at this point imo for that.

Patch will be issued soon for the server stability, I could almost guarantee that.
You don't play the game on EA's servers. EA sets up the match making peer to peer, and one of you host the game. This is why IP booters get the win when they block your IP from connecting to their xbox, it reports to EA servers saying "hey, this guy disconnected from me".

If EA had dedicated servers all this garbage would be gone.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Banned

I keep getting disconnected from EA servers. it took me 6 times to complete my online madden franchise game and my friends in the league are getting pissed i take so long to play a week. Anyone know why as I get disconnected from ea servers and has only happenned to them once. I have been kicked out in the 2nd quarter, twice in the 4th quarter (once with 25 seconds left)...seems completely random

I know there is an issue that i have a wireless router and if my cable company modem is also a router it could interfere. When i heard this I hooked up my PS# directly to the cable modem and still got disconnected during a franchis game from EA SERVERS. again I never get kicked out of PS3 network just EA.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
MVP

prey2god's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengc8
You don't play the game on EA's servers. EA sets up the match making peer to peer, and one of you host the game. This is why IP booters get the win when they block your IP from connecting to their xbox, it reports to EA servers saying "hey, this guy disconnected from me".

If EA had dedicated servers all this garbage would be gone.
Ah well there's the problem. It's p2p. Same thing goes for games like Max Payne and Ghost Recon.

If these guys want to be serious about their online campaign, they better get dedicated servers to host this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »