Home

How to Scout for Studs

This is a discussion on How to Scout for Studs within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
How to Scout for Studs

OK, so I love the draft and everything in CCM, but It's become way too easy for me now. The key to finding the players worth picking in the draft is to scout for awareness. This is the cheapest thing to scout, and is the most telling about the overall of a player. At the end of the season, you'll have enough points to scout for every player's awareness.

Most players have F awareness and are not worth drafting.

Players with D awareness aren't usually worth drafting.

Players with C awareness can be a mixed bag, but I will usually shy away from them unless I absolutely need that position.

The players you want will have a B awareness rating. These are the guys you can find in any round that usually end up being at least a 78 overall or so. A lot of them have quick or superstar development ratings also.

It's not an exact science. Some players with a B awareness turn out to be average. I've noticed this a lot with TE's and CB's. If a guy has the awareness rating, it's good to scout his other position specific ratings also, just to get a better idea.

Sounds simple enough, and it is. This has made drafting extremely easy and takes a lot of fun out of it for me. I feel like it's cheating, but it's really not. Now that I know, it's hard not to spend those 25 points!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Rookie

jg8809's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: How to Scout for Studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoggy57
OK, so I love the draft and everything in CCM, but It's become way too easy for me now. The key to finding the players worth picking in the draft is to scout for awareness. This is the cheapest thing to scout, and is the most telling about the overall of a player. At the end of the season, you'll have enough points to scout for every player's awareness.

Players with C awareness can be a mixed bag, but I will usually shy away from them unless I absolutely need that position.

The players you want will have a B awareness rating. These are the guys you can find in any round that usually end up being at least a 78 overall or so. A lot of them have quick or superstar development ratings also.

It's not an exact science. Some players with a B awareness turn out to be average. I've noticed this a lot with TE's and CB's. If a guy has the awareness rating, it's good to scout his other position specific ratings also, just to get a better idea.

Sounds simple enough, and it is. This has made drafting extremely easy and takes a lot of fun out of it for me. I feel like it's cheating, but it's really not. Now that I know, it's hard not to spend those 25 points!
Have to agree with this.

I found a 78 rated quarterback in the 5th round who had 88+ in all throwing power/accuracy stats. Was definitely the steal of the draft for me!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

Hmmmm. Makes sense.

So after you've scouted the awareness, do you then still take into account the scheme that you play and fits the player? And what about players you control yourself (quarterback, runningback, you're primary guy on defense, for me LOLB or LE), for which awareness has no use (since you control the player)?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninho
Hmmmm. Makes sense.

So after you've scouted the awareness, do you then still take into account the scheme that you play and fits the player? And what about players you control yourself (quarterback, runningback, you're primary guy on defense, for me LOLB or LE), for which awareness has no use (since you control the player)?
I don't differ in my selections for players I control or don't. Sure I'd love to have a fast FS, but if I can get a 93 spd 70 ovr or an 85 spd 79 ovr, im taking the 79 ovr.

As far as schemes, I disregard them for the most part and go with the best players. The only positions I actually check schemes on are DL and LB. I make sure that they are 3-4 for me personally, and that's about as far as I go with schemes.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Rookie

riggs6taters's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg8809
Have to agree with this.

I found a 78 rated quarterback in the 5th round who had 88+ in all throwing power/accuracy stats. Was definitely the steal of the draft for me!

78 overall in the 5th round??

C'mon Madden, just c'mon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
MVP

Shibito's Arena

Quote:
I don't differ in my selections for players I control or don't. Sure I'd love to have a fast FS, but if I can get a 93 spd 70 ovr or an 85 spd 79 ovr, im taking the 79 ovr.

As far as schemes, I disregard them for the most part and go with the best players. The only positions I actually check schemes on are DL and LB. I make sure that they are 3-4 for me personally, and that's about as far as I go with schemes.
I'd take the faster one actually, it's WAY more expensive to upgrade speed then it is to upgrade the other attributes.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs6taters
78 overall in the 5th round??

C'mon Madden, just c'mon.
Tom Brady...6th Round...Superbowl MVP in 2nd season, first as starter (albeit due to Bledsoe injury)

Just saying
Old 09-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

Yeah 78 overall in the 5th isn't bad. For all we know he's in the perfect scheme, if it's anything like past maddens the CPU only knows as much as you do, so if he wasn't scouted that much then CPU would ignore him till his predicted round was up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »