Home

Jim Nantz/Phil Simms v. Gus Johnson/Chris Colinsworth

This is a discussion on Jim Nantz/Phil Simms v. Gus Johnson/Chris Colinsworth within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13
Jim Nantz/Phil Simms v. Gus Johnson/Chris Colinsworth

I remember when EA was releasing bits of information about the game, commentary was a subject that us OS'ers talked about. From what I remember, there were a lot of users who didn't like the Johnson / Colinsworth tandem, surprisingly a lot more than I thought.

Me personally, I thought those two did a good job. Gus Johnson (who btw IMO is one of the best out there) with his emotion and passion, and Colinsworth with his 'weird' way of talking lol, I actually was fond of the commentating. It wasn't something I really noticed, being that I was so focused on the game and my gameplanning, execution, etc. but I also play with Turtle Beaches (makes me feel in the game haha) so I would overhear them from time to time when I would score and refocus lol. As I said about Gus Johnson, his passion and excitement would deliver at the right time, if I broke for a big run, his "He's got get away from the cop speed" line and they way he delivered it, match that scenario. It was a big play, he delivered his line as if there was a big play happening, which brings me to Nantz and Simms.

In real life I'm a Cowboy fan, so I'm usually watching Fox instead of CBS, and depending on whose making the call on the National games, sometimes I'll switch between games cause I dislike the announcers. I know CBS is good, and EA trying their best to emulate CBS in their presentation, but this Nantz / Simms combo isn't working. I know I can't be the only person who dislikes the commentating. I know, I know, I can just turn them off and play music, yeah, I get that, but that's a weird way to play a game (me personally). There's so much dead space as far as audio and when they talk. I'm completely fine with Simms, I have to actually pay attention to the audio and see if I truly believe that statement, but JIM NANTZ kills me. I'll have a sack fumble, and he'll monotone the word "fumble". No excitement at all, I'll break for a 60 yard TD run, and there will be sooooo much dead space from the time I hike, until the time I score, and once I do score, it's some false, acted-out, wannabe excited, "it's a touchdown". Seriously?

Like I said, when EA was releasing information and I was reading a lot of the comments, a lot them said this was good move to drop Johnson / Colinsworth and bring in Nantz / Simms. But even from the videos I saw, showing off their commentary, I saw this coming, because the excitement was not there, the lines were dull and slow, even on big-plays. If I remember correctly, the play specifically in the video was also a sack fumble and I believe it was on Philip Rivers.

I'm not here to make this a complaining thread (although I did haha) in really trying to get feedback from the community as far as whether you prefer this group or the previous. I just want to get other peoples side of it so I can see how they see it.

Me personally, I prefer the previous combo of Johnson / Colinsworth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Banned

Stampede_94's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Jim Nantz/Phil Simms v. Gus Johnson/Chris Colinsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11king
I remember when EA was releasing bits of information about the game, commentary was a subject that us OS'ers talked about. From what I remember, there were a lot of users who didn't like the Johnson / Colinsworth tandem, surprisingly a lot more than I thought.

Me personally, I thought those two did a good job. Gus Johnson (who btw IMO is one of the best out there) with his emotion and passion, and Colinsworth with his 'weird' way of talking lol, I actually was fond of the commentating. It wasn't something I really noticed, being that I was so focused on the game and my gameplanning, execution, etc. but I also play with Turtle Beaches (makes me feel in the game haha) so I would overhear them from time to time when I would score and refocus lol. As I said about Gus Johnson, his passion and excitement would deliver at the right time, if I broke for a big run, his "He's got get away from the cop speed" line and they way he delivered it, match that scenario. It was a big play, he delivered his line as if there was a big play happening, which brings me to Nantz and Simms.

In real life I'm a Cowboy fan, so I'm usually watching Fox instead of CBS, and depending on whose making the call on the National games, sometimes I'll switch between games cause I dislike the announcers. I know CBS is good, and EA trying their best to emulate CBS in their presentation, but this Nantz / Simms combo isn't working. I know I can't be the only person who dislikes the commentating. I know, I know, I can just turn them off and play music, yeah, I get that, but that's a weird way to play a game (me personally). There's so much dead space as far as audio and when they talk. I'm completely fine with Simms, I have to actually pay attention to the audio and see if I truly believe that statement, but JIM NANTZ kills me. I'll have a sack fumble, and he'll monotone the word "fumble". No excitement at all, I'll break for a 60 yard TD run, and there will be sooooo much dead space from the time I hike, until the time I score, and once I do score, it's some false, acted-out, wannabe excited, "it's a touchdown". Seriously?

Like I said, when EA was releasing information and I was reading a lot of the comments, a lot them said this was good move to drop Johnson / Colinsworth and bring in Nantz / Simms. But even from the videos I saw, showing off their commentary, I saw this coming, because the excitement was not there, the lines were dull and slow, even on big-plays. If I remember correctly, the play specifically in the video was also a sack fumble and I believe it was on Philip Rivers.

I'm not here to make this a complaining thread (although I did haha) in really trying to get feedback from the community as far as whether you prefer this group or the previous. I just want to get other peoples side of it so I can see how they see it.

Me personally, I prefer the previous combo of Johnson / Colinsworth.

Loved Johnson, Collinsworth was ok, this new team is great, and if they can only improve on the timing and level of detail in the commentary we are in for a great end to this generation of lackluster football games.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
MVP

Caveman24's Arena

OVR: 25

I agree with you but they should defiantly mix it up maybe have a AFC team and an NFC and if you go NFC vs AFC then have a combo of both because at time the commentary gets repetitive especially the start of the game when the team line ups come up I think looking back at 2k5 they had the best commentary it was dynamic it felt real Maddens feel to scripted they need to revise it IMO
Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7

Is it safe to assume we don't miss Pat Summerall? lol

I can tolerate Collingsworth but if I had my druthers, I'd take Simms.

Maybe on the next gen of consoles, they can take old commentary of
Howard Cosell & Dandy Don & spice things up some more.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Nantz and Simms.......No contest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingleberryfinn
Is it safe to assume we don't miss Pat Summerall? lol

I can tolerate Collingsworth but if I had my druthers, I'd take Simms.

Maybe on the next gen of consoles, they can take old commentary of
Howard Cosell & Dandy Don & spice things up some more.
WHAT??? I miss Pat Summerall..

what wouldn't I do to hear "and Seaaaan Landeta awaits the snap".

Pat and John were the best!.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Pro

WildFan22's Arena

OVR: 8

Gus was over the top Imo. He is good in real life but in Madden he was all over the place. Someday when Madden can match the announcers emotion to what's happening in the game then Gus might be a good fit.

I've had problems with Madden's audio for ages but I think they took a step forward this year.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
MVP

sportdan30's Arena

OVR: 13

I much prefer Nantz and Sims, but their commentary is too generic. Let's hear more players names please!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »