Home

Speed Rushing DEs in 3-4 Scheme

This is a discussion on Speed Rushing DEs in 3-4 Scheme within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Speed Rushing DEs in 3-4 Scheme

typically players from Russia or USA
Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I was looking forward to the possibility of actually getting pressure w/ 4 w/ the Bills in my CCM (a VERY solid DLine, don't have it in front of me but I think 88 OVR speed rusher @ RE, scrubbish RDT, 92 OVR LDT, and Mario Williams @ LE)... nothing.

If I use Mario (even against a scrub RT) at least 2/3rds of the time he'll go into an animation, get locked into it and fall flat on his face.

Am I missing something? Do we have a straight bull rush option or something that actually works?

And don't even get into actually having a proper double team executed by the OL...

EDIT: To add the twist of the impacts in CCM--switched from a 3/4 to a 4/3 because of the inability to attract double teams by the DL... No double team = free roaming OL getting to LB's and 10 YPC by opposing RB's.

So instead of building a championship team spending money and building quality in the trenches (see: NYG), you... umm... don't. I really don't see too much of an impact in the running game either, but maybe that's a slider issue :/

Last edited by El_Capitan; 09-11-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 5

I don't have a problem with gettign to the QB with a speed rush DE. I am playing as the Browns in CCM and Jabaal Sheard has a double digit sack year in year one.

You start by using just the Left Stick and speed burst and try to get by him. 9/10 you will get engaged by the tackle and then you do a quick flick of the the Right Stick. If you play the same DE 30-40 snaps a game this will get you past the tackle probably 10 times which should get you pressures and hopefully a sack or two a game.

DO NOT HOLD THE RIGHT STICK. You hold it down, or left or right thats when you get pancaked, just move it to the desired direction quickly and let go.

Back on topic, Speed Rush DEs are a bad idea for a 3-4, the backers are the blitzers in a 3-4 and the DEs are there to eat up blockers and contain the run. Might as well just play a 4-3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

If your best pass rushers are RE and ROLB, would it be a good idea to move them to the left side to go up against the right tackle/right guard?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
If your best pass rushers are RE and ROLB, would it be a good idea to move them to the left side to go up against the right tackle/right guard?
Not really. I stated earlier in the thread that the Right Tackles are only a slightly better option than the Left Tackles in Madden. The best option for getting pressure is to User control your DE's, and even then, you aren't going to get pressure like you should. The whole dang line is just broken, and one of the many reasons why I am probably going to take my copy of Madden out back and "put it down" like a terminally ill horse.

Ridiculous.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
Rookie

justtxyank's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
Despite what Illustrator said above me, the answer is yes. Blitzing against the right tackle, right guard is infinitely more successful. He is correct that it still doesn't work the way it should, but it does work.

I used the Texans for a CC and got through a season. I mostly user controlled Barwin. He ended up with 13 sacks. I also often blitzed a MLB on the same side as him (used Cushing for this mostly) and got 10 sacks with the MLB. However, on the other side Brooks Reed was a zero for me whether I controlled him or not.

I don't think finishing a year with 13 sacks with a non-elite rated pass rusher is bad at all. Mechanically it doesn't work right, but the #s still are acceptable on that side. It's the other side that is completely broken.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtxyank
Despite what Illustrator said above me, the answer is yes. Blitzing against the right tackle, right guard is infinitely more successful. He is correct that it still doesn't work the way it should, but it does work.

I used the Texans for a CC and got through a season. I mostly user controlled Barwin. He ended up with 13 sacks. I also often blitzed a MLB on the same side as him (used Cushing for this mostly) and got 10 sacks with the MLB. However, on the other side Brooks Reed was a zero for me whether I controlled him or not.

I don't think finishing a year with 13 sacks with a non-elite rated pass rusher is bad at all. Mechanically it doesn't work right, but the #s still are acceptable on that side. It's the other side that is completely broken.
If you are talking about blitzing, then yes, the idiotic Offensive Linemen will routinely let the DE go free and pick up the blitzer, which makes absolutely no sense at all. And if that is the case, then it really doesn't matter how good/bad your DE's are. A free rush is a free rush. Try rushing with a 4-man pass rush and see how that works out for you. I have a 92 finesse move DE in Cliff Avril playing over terrible RT's and he gets nothing. Zero. Even when I user him. It doesn't help that he has that stupid spin move trait which has him twirling in place like a top. On top of all this, your LT theory is flawed because my 84 POWER MOVE DE Kyle Vanden Bosch gets more pressure (albeit it very little) over the LT than my 92 finesse move user-controlled DE Avril gets over the RT. How do you explain that?

I know what I'm talking about, as this issue has been documented quite well here on OS. With a 4-man pass rush, the DE's don't get pressure unless you user them (and even then it's not nearly enough). BOTH sides of the line are broken. Period.

I'm not about to let EA off and have them think they only need to fix one side of the line, because they have proven they will always do less work if at all possible. The entire line play needs to be redone from Tackle to Tackle.

Last edited by Illustrator76; 09-11-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

Yep, RE's don't get any pressure, its bad programming. In my CCM my LE who is is rated at 76 broke the sack record, while my RE who is rated 91 got 3 sacks.

The Vikings are a prime example, Jared Allen will get no pressure.

Its so obvious, I have seen times where Jared Allen is being blocked where his back is facing to the qb, all other players would just turn around and sack the qb. SMH

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »