Home

What is up with the Player Description (attributes?) on the pause screen.

This is a discussion on What is up with the Player Description (attributes?) on the pause screen. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Banned

MikeLove's Arena

OVR: 0
Icon5 What is up with the Player Description (attributes?) on the pause screen.

I tried searching and couldn't find anything about this.

I haven't played madden since '10, and i have a feeling this is one of those things they put in one year and then fail to have any documentation or anything explaining wtf it is in the following years.

So basically when you pause a game sometimes theyll be a picture of a player with a green (which im interpreting as up) or a yellow (down) arrow next to some text.

Ones I see ofter are like "Brian Urlacher (up arrow) Clutch Player" inside of 2 minutes.

A lot of Defensive players get something like "Name (down arrow) plays ball in air - conservative"

And i've seen my running back get something like "DeAngelo Willams (down arrow) braces for all hits" after he fumbled earlier.

What exactly are all these things? Where can we view what players have these attributes and what their default values are? Anywhere?

Is there a comprehensive list of all the different attributes or traits? Thanks guys.

PS. Im almost positive this was implemented in 11 or 12, I watched a video here where it had like for example Eli Manning doing really well (or poorly) and then it showed a cut scene where it listed some attributes adjusted like you can see on the pause screen of madden 13. I HATE how EA implements a 'feature' one year and just completely drops it from any documentation/manual anything the next year even though its still 'in the game' leaving only players that have played like every iteration to know about all these things. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Rookie

Maitreya's Arena

Re: What is up with the Player Description (attributes?) on the pause screen.

x2. I want to know all of this stuff as well. Great post.

PS: I'm really enjoying CC and the XP stuff, but the UI, menus and difficulty finding information is beyond frustrating.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Rookie

Slim4824's Arena

OVR: 2
It was implemented last year a they explained it in depth leading up to release. It's traits that affect the way a player plays. Such as a rb who fumbles may get the trait braces for all hits. Then he will break less tackles but less likely to fumble again.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

It is called dynamic player performance (DPP for short)
I can't give you a complete rundown but the gist of it is that just like in the real NFL players go through hot and cold streaks. This is where the consistency trait comes into play.

I'll just explain the examples you listed.

clutch -- clutch players receive bonuses in clutch situations. For Urlacher his play recognition, tackling, awareness, etc may be higher

plays ball in the air -- this is a big one. If it says conservative that is bad.Real bad. Basically means that a guy will not play the ball in pass defense. Instead he will let the WR catch the ball and then hit him in the hopes that it jarrs the ball loose. If you see your corners giving up easy receptions this is probably why. If it is aggressive it means they will try their best to go for the int (even if in doing so they give up a big pass.) There is also "ideal" which is well, ideal.

braces for hits -- ever notice that if your RB fumbles once it seems as if he is bound to fumble again?This is why.

If you go to your roster screen and select the option to view player card navigate to "traits" to see what each players default values are.

Here are some important ones:
For QBs: throw ball away
sense pressure
throws tight spiral
forces passes (throws into coverage)
For RBs: fights for extra yards
braces for hits
For WRs: make catches in bounds (tip toe catches)
drops open passes (this is a big one. If it says yes he will drop wide open passes
Dlinemen have their own traits: swim move, bull rush, spin move (whether or not the player is adept at that move)
high motor
LB have: big hitter

There are several more that I can't remember right now.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Banned

MikeLove's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim4824
It was implemented last year a they explained it in depth leading up to release. It's traits that affect the way a player plays. Such as a rb who fumbles may get the trait braces for all hits. Then he will break less tackles but less likely to fumble again.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

See I was looking at it like maybe he already did brace for all hits because hes a good runningback but now he doesn't because he did bad? Your explanation makes sense.

So like are only certain players able to have certain attributes? Like how Brian Urlacher and Payton Manning are clutch players. Can you view these anywhere?

I don't know why I have to go back and reference the prerelease hype-reels of last years madden to be able to understand this. EA is just bad with this.

Hell look at FIFA, awesome game but 90% of what you need to know to be good at the game isn't in the instruction book its all learned through either word of internet or playing every years game. I played like 200+ games of fifa ultimate team in '12 and still really dont know how the mechanics of putting spin on the ball work for sure. Maybe because it is explained absolutely no where. We should really start to hold EA accountable for this stuff. Theres NO reason they shouldnt be able to put out a 'detailed' pdf manual on the internet like nba2k does, or hell nfl2k5 had what a 60 page in game manual ?(in addition to a physical manual)

Go bears
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLove
See I was looking at it like maybe he already did brace for all hits because hes a good runningback but now he doesn't because he did bad? Your explanation makes sense.

So like are only certain players able to have certain attributes? Like how Brian Urlacher and Payton Manning are clutch players. Can you view these anywhere?

I don't know why I have to go back and reference the prerelease hype-reels of last years madden to be able to understand this. EA is just bad with this.

Hell look at FIFA, awesome game but 90% of what you need to know to be good at the game isn't in the instruction book its all learned through either word of internet or playing every years game. I played like 200+ games of fifa ultimate team in '12 and still really dont know how the mechanics of putting spin on the ball work for sure. Maybe because it is explained absolutely no where. We should really start to hold EA accountable for this stuff. Theres NO reason they shouldnt be able to put out a 'detailed' pdf manual on the internet like nba2k does, or hell nfl2k5 had what a 60 page in game manual ?(in addition to a physical manual)

Go bears
ummm.... http://vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resourc...PS3-Manual.pdf Game Manual

http://vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resources/File/M13ConnectedCareersManual-082412.pdf
Connected Career Manual

P.S. all traits are viewable in the Players Card under "Traits"

Last edited by SloeyEZ; 09-13-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Banned

MikeLove's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
It is called dynamic player performance (DPP for short)
I can't give you a complete rundown but the gist of it is that just like in the real NFL players go through hot and cold streaks. This is where the consistency trait comes into play.

I'll just explain the examples you listed.

clutch -- clutch players receive bonuses in clutch situations. For Urlacher his play recognition, tackling, awareness, etc may be higher

plays ball in the air -- this is a big one. If it says conservative that is bad.Real bad. Basically means that a guy will not play the ball in pass defense. Instead he will let the WR catch the ball and then hit him in the hopes that it jarrs the ball loose. If you see your corners giving up easy receptions this is probably why. If it is aggressive it means they will try their best to go for the int (even if in doing so they give up a big pass.) There is also "ideal" which is well, ideal.

braces for hits -- ever notice that if your RB fumbles once it seems as if he is bound to fumble again?This is why.

If you go to your roster screen and select the option to view player card navigate to "traits" to see what each players default values are.

Here are some important ones:
For QBs: throw ball away
sense pressure
throws tight spiral
forces passes (throws into coverage)
For RBs: fights for extra yards
braces for hits
For WRs: make catches in bounds (tip toe catches)
drops open passes (this is a big one. If it says yes he will drop wide open passes
Dlinemen have their own traits: swim move, bull rush, spin move (whether or not the player is adept at that move)
high motor
LB have: big hitter

There are several more that I can't remember right now.
You see this in the pause depth chart screen in game? Or at like just the roster screen. I don't even know how to bring up the 'cards' I play MUT mostly though. I figured it would be like right stick click but that doesnt work. Hmm I wonder if they all transfer over to MUT or what.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLove
You see this in the pause depth chart screen in game? Or at like just the roster screen. I don't even know how to bring up the 'cards' I play MUT mostly though. I figured it would be like right stick click but that doesnt work. Hmm I wonder if they all transfer over to MUT or what.
Much of it will be in the main pause screen. This shows the players who are on a hot streak or cold streak and changes to traits as a result of the current game.

To see a player base traits, go to the roster screen. Not the depth chart, the manage roster screen. Select a player. A popup will display with options (trade player, release player, view player card)
Select view player card.
From there on the ps3 you would hold L2 (don't know what it is on xbox)
Move the stick until "traits" are highlighted.
Read traits.

I don't know how much of an impact DPP has on MUT. I never touch that mode. But they are huge in CC

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »