Home

Signing Free Agents Cheating?

This is a discussion on Signing Free Agents Cheating? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 09-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Signing Free Agents Cheating?

I think that going into the free agent menu as soon as you start a CCM/franchise and signing Terrell Owens, Burress, or any one of the 80+overall FAs is cheating. I don't think that signing someone when your starter gets injured is cheating.

Yankees: #AllRise
Old 09-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk4M13
I think that going into the free agent menu as soon as you start a CCM/franchise and signing Terrell Owens, Burress, or any one of the 80+overall FAs is cheating. I don't think that signing someone when your starter gets injured is cheating.
yeah in previous maddens i would either
a) before start of my career lower the ratings ofthe free agents\
or
b)before start of my career sign free agents to teams tht made sense (as in their previous team or a team in need of a player)
or
c) smply don't sign any free agent with a highe overall then my starter in my first season

Obviously that didn't work after season one where teams with 74 overall as starting qb refused to sign a veteran free agent qb of 83 overall available for 1.2 million....
Old 09-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

If you are using the salary cap then it isn't unfair. You have a cap on your spending and Free agents are way more expensive than players you draft. I like to build through the draft because signing the best free agents take up a lot of cap space.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
MVP

pokerplaya's Arena

OVR: 14

I don't think signing free agents is cheating, but I *do* make a house rule for myself. I won't sign a free agent until the end of preseason, to make sure all CPU teams have had a chance to take the more "marquee" names that start in the pool. For instance, the newer rosters had Brent Grimes, Plaxico, Owens, etc. in there. I'd have really only considered Grimes, but I still think it is more realistic to let these players go to CPU teams.

In my new Browns CC, the only signings I made were pretty much backups, except for Gibril Wilson, who I was mainly signing due to a minor injury to my starting FS.

After Week 1, I feel its fair game -- the CPU had every chance to sign those players, so if they help YOU, why wouldn't you take them?

But, I do agree that just raiding the pool at the start of a CC would be "cheating" as you can do a lot to stack a team if you just raid the pool as it starts.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk4M13
Yeah I am going to have to agree with this statement so far
not for his name i swear
why you have ravens avatar Gronk4M13 ????
Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 11

Like everything else, some people are going to find a way to exploit it to their advantage. For realistic players, no, it isn't cheating in any way. My philosophy is to build via the draft, so I don't even pop in there too often, but I do to see if anyone is there that fits my scheme.

That is the great thing about schemes, it alleviates the "just take the best OVR" player available.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
Rookie

kunner's Arena

OVR: 4

I always play as GB in my games, so Ted Thompsons build through the draft strategy is how i do it. I will sign an occasional FA if i lost too many players in FA and could draft enough to fill the roster, but I never go after the tier 1 guys
NCAA- Wisconsin Badgers
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »