Home

House rules for offense playcalling.. what are yours?

This is a discussion on House rules for offense playcalling.. what are yours? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2
House rules for offense playcalling.. what are yours?

I believe that if you use a heavy amount of houes rules and are strict in following them that it can be challenging/realisitc/strategic. The problem is you have to use like twice or three times as many in CCM compared to Play Now games and it just takes away so much.

On Defense I use gameflow every play, no audibles, control just a CB with no switching. But I am wondering more about offense.

I was getting frustrated by how easy the Curl/Flat combo play is to complete. You can jack CPU Interceptions to 100, put QB Accuracy 0, WR Catching 40, CPU Pass Defense 0 and still march down the field with one play. I realized no slider will change that and I need to change my own play style.

I like having the whole playbook available to me so rather than going Gameflow or Ask madden on offense I decided I will force myself to not pick the same play twice on any drive as well as never pick the Curl/Flat combo play. I might even extend it to every 2 or 3 drives but for now i'll go with 1.

Just knowing that Curl/Flat play exists makes it hard to not pick it when I really need a 1st down on a 3rd and whatever. House rules make this game so much better and more strategic. It adds to the strategy when you have to decide when to use one of your 'better' plays, should you save it for a third and long or use it later in the redzone?

Anyone have other plays they limit themselves from calling or avoid altogether? I naturally don't call Verticals so I don't have any experience with that and i've found that in the past slant and drag routes were close to money but with the proper sliders they aren't that way anymore so I am happy about that.

Last edited by BrianU; 09-24-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: House rules for offense playcalling.. what are yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
I believe that if you use a heavy amount of houes rules and are strict in following them that it can be challenging/realisitc/strategic. The problem is you have to use like twice or three times as many in CCM compared to Play Now games and it just takes away so much.

On Defense I use gameflow every play, no audibles, control just a CB with no switching. But I am wondering more about offense.

I was getting frustrated by how easy the Curl/Flat combo play is to complete. You can jack CPU Interceptions to 100, put QB Accuracy 0, WR Catching 40, CPU Pass Defense 0 and still march down the field with one play. I realized no slider will change that and I need to change my own play style.

I like having the whole playbook available to me so rather than going Gameflow or Ask madden on offense I decided I will force myself to not pick the same play twice on any drive as well as never pick the Curl/Flat combo play. I might even extend it to every 2 or 3 drives but for now i'll go with 1.

Just knowing that Curl/Flat play exists makes it hard to not pick it when I really need a 1st down on a 3rd and whatever. House rules make this game so much better and more strategic. It adds to the strategy when you have to decide when to use one of your 'better' plays, should you save it for a third and long or use it later in the redzone?

Anyone have other plays they limit themselves from calling or avoid altogether? I naturally don't call Verticals so I don't have any experience with that and i've found that in the past slant and drag routes were close to money but with the proper sliders they aren't that way anymore so I am happy about that.
i've got a couple near-money plays so i limit their use and tell myself (hard to follow when the game's on the line though!) that when i run it the next time, i have to go to another WR or target.

in essence, that's keeping the D on their toes by not going to the same guy on the same play. i think that's fair.

i'd say limit the money plays to maybe once a half. or something like that.

i was thinking about using Gameflow, but i really do like certain plays. when i can complete them every time, then i guess it's a problem.

i think part of the problem/solution is the players themselves. if you have lower rated players, they'll drop balls and make bad throws. allowing yourself to have a team full of superstars will make it too easy regardless of the playbook.

so, i'm thinking of putting a development cap on some and limiting free agents and making sure i lose some good players to free agency, just like the NFL. i used to have a team OVR "house rule" cap i had to stay under, like 88 or something. maybe that's too high, but that's the idea.

my $.02.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Rookie

TwoHeadedDog's Arena

OVR: 2

I click "ask Madden" and pick my favorite of the three.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

Yeah the curls are way too effective.
-Always ask madden on offense and pick 1 of 3 plays
-On defense, can't run the same play 3 times in a row
-Always switch offensive playbooks every game going alphabetically
*Hot routing/audibling- I have a heavy set of rules I implemented last year for QB's based on overall.

84 or below(or rookie)options available: timeout, motion(no hot routes, audibles, flipping plays)

85-89(non-rookie):timeout, motion, hot route to block only

90-94ne audible, one motion, or timeout plus a hot route to block is allowed separately

95-97: One hot route, one audible, one motion, or a timeout plus anyone can be changed to block also.

98+: Anything goes

Also I play 7 min qtrs with accel clock at 20 so there is no clock milking unless its within 2 minutes.

Complicated but keeps it interesting and more competitive against cpu.

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 10

This thread is interesting. I truly believe that it's up to the devs to make the game challenging. The curl route is abusive. And as someone playing the game, you shouldn't have to not call any play in the game. Restricting yourself seems to be the only way to get some kind of realism out of the game. But, why do we have to do that. This is something the dev team, QA, or maybe even the gamechangers should have caught. @ this point, all you can do is hope EA patches it. But last I heard, there is no news on when a patch will be available. The curl route is a basic route. Its so basic in fact, you can call a hot route for it for any reciever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've got a pretty good slider set I've been tweaking for myself as I go, based off of one in the Sliders forum. I've been playing my solo CCM with the Colts, playing almost every game, I started 1-4, played a couple more and simmed 2, now I'm 6-5 somehow (Both sims won somehow against Pats and Bills). The running game is hard on Offense, as it should be with the Colts, so I like it, but I've been tweaking the sliders. I don't call money plays, I usually use ask madden on Offense, until I used all the plays it usually suggests (which isn't many lol)
I've been having some good games against the CPU, and if it wasnt for those 2 I simmed, which I was pretty sure I'd lose, it'd be a lot more based on RL I think.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderphantom
Yeah the curls are way too effective.
-Always ask madden on offense and pick 1 of 3 plays
-On defense, can't run the same play 3 times in a row
-Always switch offensive playbooks every game going alphabetically
*Hot routing/audibling- I have a heavy set of rules I implemented last year for QB's based on overall.

84 or below(or rookie)options available: timeout, motion(no hot routes, audibles, flipping plays)

85-89(non-rookie):timeout, motion, hot route to block only

90-94ne audible, one motion, or timeout plus a hot route to block is allowed separately

95-97: One hot route, one audible, one motion, or a timeout plus anyone can be changed to block also.

98+: Anything goes

Also I play 7 min qtrs with accel clock at 20 so there is no clock milking unless its within 2 minutes.

Complicated but keeps it interesting and more competitive against cpu.
I like your little QB thing you have there. Reminds me of last night in the game how they were saying Brady "owns" that team and he can do whatever he wants as Flacco doesn't have much control and has to listen to the coach.

I might do this. But I feel in CCM, it's be impossible to have a 98+OVR QB with the schemes and all. Might say:

Below 80 or Rookie: No control.

80-84: Motion & Flip Play

85-89: Motion, Flip Play, and Quick Audible

90+: Every control including custom audibles.

Timeouts dont really concern me.

Also, do you have any rules on adjusting the OL for running plays?

Last edited by Obnoxious; 09-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_truthman.com
This thread is interesting. I truly believe that it's up to the devs to make the game challenging. The curl route is abusive. And as someone playing the game, you shouldn't have to not call any play in the game. Restricting yourself seems to be the only way to get some kind of realism out of the game. But, why do we have to do that. This is something the dev team, QA, or maybe even the gamechangers should have caught. @ this point, all you can do is hope EA patches it. But last I heard, there is no news on when a patch will be available. The curl route is a basic route. Its so basic in fact, you can call a hot route for it for any reciever.
Put CPU Pass Reaction to 0-10 and it's challenging to get a curl/drag route any extra yardage (if they even get open)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »